Teaching Ender's Game - Submitted by Roxanne Lovelette, High school teacher
These questions were used as both a quiz and as a vehicle for discussion. Many of my students had not read sci-fi prior to this.
Ender's Game: Quiz chapters 1- 7
- What is a "Third"? What is the significance of Ender being a third?
- Describe Peter and Valentine.
- What happened between Ender and Stilson?
- Why was Ender wearing a monitor?
- How does Graff set Ender apart from the other boys on the way to the Battle
- What does Ender do to Bernard in order to gain the respect of the other boys
in his group?
- How does Ender react to his first time in the battleroom?
- What type of detail does the conversation at the beginning of each chapter
reveal to the reader?
- What is expected of Ender?
- What do you think (yes, opinion) about the government taking Ender to the
Ender's Game: Quiz chapters 8 - 10
CHOOSE ANY FIVE OF THE FOLLOWING. These chapters focus on the
conditioning Ender receives. Below you will find a list of quotes. Explain the
following for each:
A. The context
B. The meaning or purpose
C. The result
- Page 97 - 98: Beginning of Chapter 8. (As Ender enters Rat Army)
"Colonel Graff, the games have always been run fairly before …"
"Fairness is a wonderful attribute, Major Anderson. It has nothing to do
"That's why I'm asking you now. To begin. Be creative. Think of every
stacked, impossible, unfair … Think of other ways to bend the rules…
You're forgetting that it is merely a training exercise."
"It's also status, identity, purpose, name; all that makes these children who
they are comes out of this game. When it becomes known that the game can
be manipulated, weighted, cheated, it will undo this whole school. I'm not
- Page 108: Conversation with Dink:
"I know, you've been here a year, you think these people are normal. Well,
they're not. We''re not. I look in the library, I call up books on my desk.
Old one, because they won't let us have anything new, but I've got a pretty
good idea what children are, and we're not children."
- Page 118: The purpose of the computer game……
"Ender didn't go back to the fantasy game. But it lived in his dreams. He
kept remembering how it felt to kill the snake, grinding it in, the way he tore
the ear off that boy, the way he destroyed Stilson, the way he broke
Bernard's arm. And then to stand up, holding the corpse of his enemy, and
find Peter's face looking out at him from the mirror. This game knows too
much about me. This game tells filthy lies. I am not Peter. I don't have
murder in my heart.
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever
was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers…"
- Page 131: Peter and Valentine
"But I didn't hate you. I loved you both, I just had to be - had to have
control, do you understand that? It's the most important thing to me, it's
my greatest gift, I can see where the weak points are, I can see how to get in
and use them, I just see those things without even trying."
Not only should you discuss this quote, but also what Peter is planning
- Page 143: Graff to Valentine
"Valentine, we need your help for Ender."
"What kind of help?"
"We aren't even sure of that. We need you to help us figure out how you can
- Page 167: Chapter 10 (Dragon Army)
"But what was this thing with Bean? Why had he gone for the smallest,
weakest, and possibly the brightest of the boys? Why had he done to Bean
what had been done to Ender by commanders that he despised?
Then he remembered that it hadn't begun with his commanders."
Ender's Game: Quiz chapters 11 - 13
- Ender wins seven battles in as many days. How do the other commanders
treat him? Why?
- Ender knows, after his battle with Bonzo's army, that Bonzo is now a
serious threat. Why?
- At the end of chapter 11, Ender confides in Bean (which surprises him.)
- Why do Graff and Anderson decide not to interfere with the growing
situation between Ender and Bonzo?
- What finally happens between Ender and Bonzo? How does Ender react to
- At the end of Chapter 12, "The system is breaking up." What happens to
Ender's army? What happens to Ender?
- After the 'system breaks up' where does Ender go? Why does Graff take
him to this place?
- How does Graff once again use Valentine to 'help' Ender? Does she feel she
helps Ender? Does Ender feel he's been helped?
- Where does Graff take Ender? Describe the voyage.
- Ender realizes two things in the chapter. One is about himself and why he's
the perfect choice - THE WIGGIN. The other is about why there is a war
with the buggers in the first place. Discuss briefly these two 'things.'
Ender's Game portion of Semester Exam
In an interview, Orson Scott Card stated:
"I use the character's own attitude and experiences to let the reader see how
important the events are in the character's life. Instead of having the character
smacked in the head with a brick, I have the character smacked with an emotional
surprise that only FEELS like a brick. Works better, less blood."
- In a three paragraph essay, give an example of the above from the last
section of chapters in Ender's Game.
- Defend your commentary with evidence. (Obviously, I do not require direct
quotes. I do require direct reference to events and situations.)
- Provide a thesis.
- Demonstrates Ender's growth/learning from the experience you have
chosen. Make sure to include where Ender will go from that point with his