Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 78)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Driving in heavy snow is tricky. I went through a whole winter of stop-and-skid before being [forcibly] relocated to Florida. There were times when my car would climb part-way up a hill and then slide back to the bottom.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
Driving in heavy snow is tricky. I went through a whole winter of stop-and-skid before being [forcibly] relocated to Florida. There were times when my car would climb part-way up a hill and then slide back to the bottom.

Sounds almost fun If it wasn't frustrating, potentially dangerous and making you late. [Wink]
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I was on my way home at the time...and, no, it wasn't any fun at all.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Thanksgiving, to those that celebrate it! To those that don't, have a wonderful day. [Smile]
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The last couple of days I've had trouble with my wireless mouse---thing kept freezing up on me. I'd forgotten, or it hadn't ever occurred to me, that (1) a wireless mouse would have to have its own power source in the form of batteries, and (2) those batteries would eventually run down.

But I was able to track down how to change them, which, once I did it, wasn't a big deal. And they were just double-A batteries, 'cause if they'd been something like one of those coin-shaped things, I'd've been out of luck for a few days till I could get to the store and match it.

walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Robert, I know the feeling. I work with an older pen tablet. And it started to go on the fritz much tp my dismay. I even went out and started to price new ones which only encouraged my resolve to see if I could fix the old one. I realized that the pen had a battery in it and replaced it with a feeling of Ahhhhhh, but it didn't fix the problem UUUGGGGGGG. I replaced the driver. Still nothing but a lot of time wasted. Thank the heavens for you tube. I actually ended up doing a very specific search for my type pen tablet and the problem it was showing and one in a million chance came across someone extremely smart that had a video that showed how to clean the leads. Now it works perfectly. Ahhhhhhhh. But it was a long head pounding two months of searching for a solution only because I didn't want to pay the absorbent prices a pen tablet cost these days and they are obsolete in six months.
Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

YouTube saved me a service call for my dryer the other day---found a video for fixing the fan, which wasn't what I wanted to do, but it told me how to open up the front of the machine, which I wanted to do. (Why? Dead rat inside.)
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm frustrated right now with Ebay. Ordered an electronic device that was supposedly from a multiple-star seller (in Hong Kong--my first red flag?), and signed for the delivery today.

Opened the box and it was something else entirely. Still an electronic device, but absolutely not what I ordered - wrong manufacturer, wrong type of device, etc, etc, etc.

Contacted Ebay and jumped through their hoops and now have to wait until next week so that the seller can respond (and tell me how to return the item). Once they receive it (I'm thankful that they will have to sign for it, so we'll have proof they actually got it back), I will get a refund from Ebay.

But even after all of that, I still won't have the electronic device that I wanted - that the seller agreed to send to me.

[Mad]

At least it wasn't a Christmas present.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Sometimes I wonder about the wisdom of ordering sight unseen. I mean, I do it, but it's fraught with problems like that.

A while back, I saw a Jeff Gordon pocket-tee that I liked, and I ordered (and paid for) three of them from the Jeff Gordon Fan Club site. They sent me just one shirt. After some correspondence, and a month passing, they sent me...another shirt. Still short one. After another month, and more correspondence...I got the third one. Seemed as if they couldn't conceive of someone wanting more than one shirt.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Communication is frustrating sometimes even when you speak the same language. In this case, we're not even sure they understand exactly which kind of electronic device we originally ordered.

They just told us something is on its way to us, but we have no idea if it's the correct something this time or not. (And no information about how to return the wrong item.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
A recently discovered to me irony of communication is it intends clearer understanding and is interpretable as misunderstood or incompletely understood in many circumstances.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Then there's the other plague of online ordering---junk e-mail. I've bought one thing on Ebay---that eccentric salt-and-pepper shaker Kathleen tipped me off about---but since then I've been getting (and deleting) their e-mails. Same with Time-Life---one set of CDs about ten years ago, and long series of promotions for things I really don't want.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
There should be, hidden somewhere deep within the junk e-mails, an unsubscribe link. My junk folder went from perpetually filling to constantly empty within a week.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

My wife is getting increasingly frustrated with people, businesses, web sites, etc that get orders wrong.

I don't appreciate it either but she is rising the bar on it being frustrating.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
There should be, hidden somewhere deep within the junk e-mails, an unsubscribe link.
I imagine so, but it's no great hardship (but no great thrill) to delete what I don't want to read.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
Originally posted by extrinsic:
A recently discovered to me irony of communication is it intends clearer understanding and is interpretable as misunderstood or incompletely understood in many circumstances.

And it happens more often, I think, through internet communication than through in-person communication, though it happens in all kinds of communication.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Merry Christmas, guys.
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
I echo the sentiment, albeit a touch late. [Smile]
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

YO Happy New Year All here:

Good success with family, yourselves and writing.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm claiming [again] the first sighting of 2016 of one of the dancing Statues of Liberty---this one wasn't dancing much, but it *was* raining...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Aiiihhhh.

I was hoping to be the first to say They're baaaaccckkk.

But got here too late in the day.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

None today, but I did pass by where they usually are while a fifty-m.p.h. rainstorm was blowing.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I don't know how wide spread this other one is but there are a few black birds hanging around on street corners too, around here. They have Uncle Sam top hats and a white and red striped cape.

During the year they advertise for a car insurance place but now it's taxes.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

No, not down here, but I do see quite a few people in mufti bearing "we buy gold" signs...
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Found it funny while watching Spartacus:Vengence on late night SciFi channel that it still contained all the blood and gore but the nudity was cut out. Even at 2am in the morning. I mean what kind of backwards philosophy is that? They'll show a man get a sword shoved through his face and all the blood that goes with it, or another person get beat to death, but if you see a naked person that's going to corrupt you? We got some serious warped puritan values in the USA for TV. You can see decaying rotting corpses bite the throat of living people and see the flesh ripping from the body, but if you saw someone naked that would be bad. Well except for the quick glimpse of their backside. Feeewwww good thing we have these guys to teach us values.

Sorry just wanted to rant.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Well, part of it may be that in order to show the blood and guts, they use special effects of one kind or another (unless it's a "snuff" film).

But when they show nudity, the people are probably actually nude (why waste money on special effects for something like that?).

So it's partly a matter of knowing one thing is imaginary and the other is real.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
And you trust the judgement of these people to tell the difference between reality and imaginary? Generous, aren't you? Personally, I think they're just a bunch of prudish toss-pots.

Phil.

PS: I remember that on an episode of Castle (the TV show) they had to special effects out all of the bum-cracks on a bunch of nude store mannequins. Sheesh! Talk about prudish nonsense.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Hardly the only thing censored. And things change, too. Compare versions of "Blazing Saddles," the one that was in theaters way back, the first network run, and the current broadcast version---what gets censored gets changed.

I gather, way back on "Gilligan's Island," the censors were upset about how much cleavage Ginger was showing, so they hiked up her dress some---then they got upset about how much cleavage she was showing on her backside...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I feel the vague need to brag, er, announce, the purchase and use of my first laptop / tablet. Relatively cheap cost...got it because I found I really couldn't read my own handwriting and want to use it mainly for diary writing...but I'm working through a few things to see how things go. Hope for the best...
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

I downloaded the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 about six months back. It was great for the first few months, but has since started having problems. Namely, the start menu and sound stop working at random. Also, sometimes when I turn my computer on it doesn't even boot up the file explorer properly (I can't get it to open the start menu OR file folders in that case). Windows' solution for all of this, last I checked, is "restart your computer". None of their subsequent updates has fixed this problem for me.

(The worst part is if I downgrade back to Windows 7 I'll get prompts for the free upgrade to Windows 10 every time I turn my computer on again.)

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

The main reason I migrated to Linux. Happily runs LibreOffice, Inkscape, Audacity, and TeX (a high-end typesetting program) so what do I need windows for? Also has the added advantage of no one writing a lot of viruses targeting the OS.

The only drawback I see is that it is probably up to 12 months behind in supporting new hardware devices and drivers.

Phil.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I downloaded Windows 10 for my main [tower] computer---the laptop had it and that gave me a taste for it---and, so far, no problems to report...

Unless...in my websurfing on AOL I like to load ten or so comics pages at a time, then read and dismiss them one by one. A couple of times it's blinked out with an error-in-loading message, and returns with a few less pages than before, sometimes only one. I can't say this has *anything* to do with Windows 10 for sure...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Although...in Windows 8, my AOL did not say "Welcome," or "You've got mail!" On my laptop, and in this uploaded version, it does. I thought they'd done away with it in the version I've been using...I guess something was "off" in Windows 8 that got turned back "on" in Windows 10...I did look for it way back when, but couldn't figure it out, and eventually forgot all about it...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Back to the Statues in drag:

I noticed that so far no guitar playing statues like last year. In fact as I thought on that earlier I think one statue is missing. Maybe they closed that office?

Some statues know how to flip signs but no dancers either.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh No comments on the censoring because I don't watch that many movies over the air waves to notice. And I don't iike to watch a bunch of blood and guts movies anyway,

And as to Windows I don't know how Ten works since I don't do Windows.

[Big Grin]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

That's the kind of comment that deserves a hit on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:

And as to Windows I don't know how Ten works since I don't do Windows.

[Big Grin]

Wow. Metalepsis. Fabulous.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

My husband and I both have to work on Valentines Day, so we're celebrating two days early. How, you probably didn't ask? By seeing the Deadpool movie and going out for chimichangas.

Believe it or not, this was my idea. XD

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Valentines Day: Hallmark is still making a mint of it. Damn it, where's my Tommy-gun?

Phil. [Smile]

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy old guy:
Valentines Day: Hallmark is still making a mint of it. Damn it, where's my Tommy-gun?

Phil. [Smile]

My husband and I have never actually done the cards/flowers thing for Valentines Day. We usually give each other tabletop roleplaying books or some similar manner of gaming accessory, maybe go out to eat and that's about it. Then again, we're both a wee bit abnormal and we understand each others' particular brands of crazy.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I have to work on Valentine's Day, and President's Day the next day. One I would'a anyway, but the other's supposed to be a paid holiday off...
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
Originally posted by Disgruntled Peony:
Then again, we're both a wee bit abnormal and we understand each others' particular brands of crazy.

And what could be better in a relationship than that?

[Smile]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Had a major epic fail on my main [tower] computer yesterday. I'm sure it's connected with upgrading to Windows 10...but now (as of the last time I checked) I can't even get it past start.

It's been on-and-off since that upgrade---but before it cut me off in the middle of something, calling it "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION"---and now it's putting up "WDF_VIOLATION."

If I hadn't'a bought this laptop, I'd be severely limited in my Internet access---my Nook Color is good for taking a couple quick looks at a few sites---but for writing I'll have to try to get my main one working right again.

I'm almost fully backed up---I did it before the upgrading---so all I'll lose are some parody song lyrics, and some practice writing and notetaking I'm not overly fond of anyway.

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/your-pc-ran-into-a-problem-wdfviolation-reboot/003fedc3-3eae-4f11-8dc9-f0237536b971?auth=1

Here's a link to the official Microsoft article on how to potentially fix that.

On a semi-related note, I've been doing more and more note-taking/brainstorming on my phone, simply because Google Docs automatically backs it up which means I can access it easily on my phone or computer. I don't like doing heavy writing that way, but for writing done in short bursts I've found it personally empowering.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thanks for the link, Disgruntled Peony.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I tried, on advice, removing all the peripherals and rebooting, then left it unplugged for eight hours or so. It came back up, and I got as far as a couple of websites---then it froze up on the old Watchdog Violation thing. I'm starting to think updating to Windows 10 was more trouble than it was worth.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Seems to be working relatively fine this morning. Froze up once (which might be associated with the AOL program), cut out once (might be associated with the WiFi), but I've been able to get through to here on my list of favorite places.
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

Glad it's doing better.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Computer problems redux: computer problems again. This morning the screen and mouse kept freezing (happened before)...tried the unplugging thing, which got me going till it froze up again...and, just now, restarting, the hard drive sounded like it was going to come apart.

Windows 10 updating was so not worth it.

Ah, well. I can't use this relatively-new laptop for much, the keyboard isn't adequate, though at least I can communicate...I guess I'll see if I can pick up a tower...then try to figure out how to get my files. (Not that there's any real loss of the info on files, just a little writing I wasn't overly fond of, plus some song parodies I've already posted---I copied them onto one of them stick thingys beforehand, which should take care of the important stuff.)

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Robert, if you have a spare keyboard with a USB connector you may be able to plug that into the laptop and set it as the default input device. You might also want to consider upgrading to Linux--although you'll need to tweak the CMOS so you can actually install a non Windows OS.

Phil.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.