Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q03 -- Early Submissions (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q03 -- Early Submissions
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again, genevive. I've never really done the whole blog thing, so some of it confuses me a little. As far as I can tell everyone just keeps piling onto that thread - Is that basically it?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
The blog where Joni posts HM's and like is usually done here,

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/blog

but as you can see, she hasn't posted anything for a month.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually find the lists of HMs and such at www.prnewswire.com several days before they're posted on the WOTF blog. In fact, the winners for Q2 were sent out there as a news release and still haven't been posted to the blog, as far as I can tell.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Posted by KDW today - Wednesday:

quote:
I hear some folks are getting that special phone call!

So I suppose that if we don't get a phone call within the next day or two, we're not finalists. I don't know if any other level of 'accomplishment' gets phone calls.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, my phone has been silent.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I completely missed something this is the first ive seen finalist notified before a single batch of HM's were posted.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

*shakes phone*

Why won't you ring!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine didn't ring either.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Nuthin' here.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm out of this contest but I know the feeling of waiting for the phone to ring.

In a different contest the phone rang after the winners had been announced, my name wasn't listed. I recognized the name of the caller as one of the editors for the contest. The cordless phone I answered with had a low battery so I tore down the hallway to get to another one. That answering machine picked up the call by that time. I was glad no one else was home or I might have just pushed them aside if they had been in my way.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
First list of honorable mentions are up on the WotF blog.

My name's near the bottom. Seeing as how I missed getting my entry for Q04 in, I have a long time before I need to be worried about this again.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Way to go Dan!
Owasm
Member # 8501

Congratulations!

Still waiting for my phone call...

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!! WD!

I'm sure you wanted to go higher, but it's still pretty cool!

Cheers,

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats WD...maybe there is something to your 'last second submission' strategy
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Y'know, I work just a few miles from the Scientology building on Sunset. And they have come into my shop before. Maybe they recognized my name and want to tell me that I'm a finalist in person. - Yeah, right. Anyone got Lucifer's number? I'd like a weather report.
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.writersofthefuture.com/blog

So which are you, Dan? Elizabeth Baxter from England, Gustavo Bondoni of Argentina, or Madison Bridgen of Canada

(In case you are wondering, that is the end of the list if you don't click Read More)

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited November 11, 2010).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Congratulations, Dan!

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited November 11, 2010).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I add my Congratulations to WD too.

Nice to know you did something right.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Rejection letters have been flooding the mail. I got mine today
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Boo to rejection letters.

Take heart that there's always next quarter. And the one after that. And the one after that ...

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I feel like the guy who accidentally walked into the wrong restroom - I just realized my entry was for Q4. I guess I'll be having this conversation with you people in another 3 months.

My sympathies for those of you getting rejections - better luck next time.

genevive42
Member # 8714

As of Friday night, having checked the mailbox - no word on any front.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Rejection letters have been flooding the mail. I got mine today

Mine was one of the first. Maybe thee first one..at least around here.

Sometimes like you did I don't get it until the HMs have stated being listed. That always makes me hope.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Finalists listed by Kathy:

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.writing.writersofthefuture&artnum=5605

I don't recognize any names, but that doesn't mean that they're not there. Anything, anyone?

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
This quarter was my first time to enter. Is it normal for the first list of the HM's to be announced and then the finalists followed by the rejections mailed out? Are the rejections sent by snail or email?

I sent my entry by snail with an SASE to return my manuscript (if you can call a 48 page story a manuscript) and haven't heard a thing. Is it too early to be expecting to hear anything about where (or how) I placed? Will the other catagories be announced like the first HM list... and any other HM's? It did say "first list", which I take to mean there are more to come?

I hope I don't sound too anxious, but just want to know if this is normal or if I should contact Joni or whoever is in charge of this information to find out.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

A lot of us haven't heard anything. It does seem to be taking longer than seems normal, especially considering they announced the finalists already.

I wouldn't contact Joni. She's probably just neck-deep in paperwork, trying to get everything out.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

The rejections can go out pretty much at any time in the process. This quarter is backward in how results are going out, however. Usually it goes: HMs list No. 1, HMs No. 2, semis and finalists. But we've known the finalists for a while now and are still missing half the HMs.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

KDW posts: Q3 Semifinalist critiques sent. If you're a Semifinalist, tell me which story was yours. I love to getting to put names with titles.

(Which means the semifinalists might get their critiques before Joni posts their names on the blog. Wouldn't that be a surprise in the mail.)

genevive42
Member # 8714

I wonder where they're being mailed from.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

I wonder where they're being mailed from.

LA maybe? Unless KD and others have an office somewhere else and telecommute, which is possible these days.

genevive42
Member # 8714

I know Joni is in LA. But I thought KDW was elsewhere. Anything originating from LA, whether it be critique or rejection, I should get right away as it's just across town.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I don't know where KD is but we send them to LA which is where the main offices seem to be because everything they do is based around there, so unless they ship the stories cross country, which they could do, they send out the SASEs from LA.

Of course now with E-mail--sometimes I've gotten both--and electronic submissions those SASEs could be from anywhere.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I hate all this waiting. Is anyone else obsessively checking the WotF blog and forum several times a day, hoping for more results to be posted?
genevive42
Member # 8714

Yes.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have done that at times when my rejection was late. At least three times a day. Once or twice they actually changed it between my checks.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

All physical entries go to LA, then get shipped to Kathy (in OK? It's definitely somewhere farther east) in boxes, which she then judges. She sends them back by box to LA, and they get sent to the authors from there. I got my hard copy back in the mail last week with my HM certificate. I wonder if maybe they're having computer issues...

From what I've read on the sff board, it seems like Kathy doesn't know why the other awards haven't been announced. I had thought that semi-finalists get calls as well as the finalists, but I could be wrong. Be sure to post when you know!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, I think I got only one HM certificate and it wasn't the one where I got the phone call.
genevive42
Member # 8714

They've passed the five month mark on my story, and many others I'm sure. If there's a delay, it'd just be nice to know the estimated time for the announcements and maybe a little of the reason why. Just a little news would be nice.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I'm with you on that one. My story has been out 4 1/2 months. (I sent it in on the last day of the quarter.)
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I agree with you genevive42 some News would be good in that situation but it seems like they have sent out most of the rejections already. Some of us have received them. There's been nothing on the blog, Joni has been very busy but how about the Newsgroup?
snapper
Member # 7299

There is a possibilty no one has considered. The batch of mail KDW sent to Joni to process is lost in the mail, or...a pile was misplaced and KDW never received them.

That did happen a bunch of years back. Not sure what the number was but a couple of writers received an apology when they were discovered, several quarters after they were submitted.

If you weren't named a finalist, it doesn't really matter anyway. Still not knowing can be nerve racking.

genevive42
Member # 8714

quote:
If you weren't named a finalist, it doesn't really matter anyway.

I disagree. If the story I sent in for this quarter doesn't at least HM, I'm going to wonder whether anything I write will appeal to WotF. I'd like to know.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

I disagree. If the story I sent in for this quarter doesn't at least HM, I'm going to wonder whether anything I write will appeal to WotF. I'd like to know.

I agree but I'm not sure if that is the way he meant it. Of course I could be wrong and he could clarify his statement but in the context of the discussion I took it to mean if you aren't a Semi-finalist then you know you didn't get any further.

I said I agree with your statement but at the same time I do enough different types of stories that as I improve my writing-if I am- some day something will appeal to them.

Or my writing will be so great KD has to pass it up no matter if she likes that type of story or not.

Yeah, right.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 25, 2010).]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Final hm posted on blog

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/node/637
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that our Tom Carpenter?
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

And isn't Ginger, Crystal Stevens?

Congrats to all!

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Yep, that's me . Not bad for a first time. I just hope I can get the kinks out of my newest story and do better the next time .

Congratulations to all the 3rd quarter 2010 recipiants .

Just wanted to add that I would never have done that well without all the help I had from my fellow Hatrackers. If I had entered what I thought was the final draft the first time around, no way would I have made it even up to bat. The final draft I submitted was totally revised from the original... which I will admit was terrible <<shudder>>.

So a great big THANK YOU to those who critted my story and gave me such great advice and suggestions .

[This message has been edited by Crystal Stevens (edited December 02, 2010).]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.