Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 48th and Riverfront

Author Topic: 48th and Riverfront
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to try this in first person, I seem to do a bit better in first than in third.
---------------------------------------------------
My little sister finished Old Macdonald at 33rd and Riverfront. When the quiet promised to endure, I cracked open my new book. But then Lucy gulped a helping of air, and began to shout the alphabet.

“Mom,” I said. “Make her stop.”

Mom acted oblivious, both to the noise and to my request. At least she wasn’t too unaware to keep the car on the road. She stayed on Riverfront.

I hated Riverfront. Not just the street, but the town, if you could call it a town. A bunch of shops lined next to a dirty river. I blamed Lucy, of course. Dad wanted to raise his precious daughter away from the city. Some days, I wished she had never been born.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited January 10, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
How old is the character?

If he is as young as it seems 9-12, you need to be careful with his language and word usage.

Specifically how he relates the information. The line about his dad wanting to raise his precious little girl, could be jazzed up a bit, maybe have him recalling the goofy way his dad says "precious little girl" or some such.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I picture him about 15. Really into science. The kind of character that will be needed to speculate about the weird stuff that's happened.

Yeah, I worry about my first person voices sounding the same.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.