Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Tentative Title: Childhood Beliefs

Author Topic: Tentative Title: Childhood Beliefs
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me anticipate: probably too many adverbs, adjectives, and cliché to boot?
----------------------------------------------
Every boy in the ninth grade dreamed of Stacey Keaton. Kev was no exception. He'd been fumbling his lock when she turned the corner. Every head turned at once. The guys with desire, the girls with envy.

Today she wore a miniskirt and tight t-shirt. Today, she sported her raven hair in ponytails. Today, she strode right toward him.

Kev stood at attention. She leaned on a locker and winked. And inched closer. And closer. Then Stacey grabbed him by the shoulders. She pursed her glossed lips and leaned in for the kiss. I can't believe this is happening.

Yes, every boy dreamed of Stacey Keaton, but probably nobody more than Kevin Raleigh...

"Get up boy!" Dad had him by the shoulders. "Time to go fishin."

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Evil, mean father you got there, Chris

Yeah, that concept has been done once or twice before. Easy to relate to, though.
Perhaps change it up a bit: maybe have him dreaming a sweet little moment with Miss Stacy, get him a little excited, and then have him wake up in class..with Stacy Keaton giving him a strange look, since he said her name right as he woke up. "Stacy!"

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited January 08, 2005).]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Do people really have dreams like this, though? I mean, dreams that could be mistaken for reality by any person in a normal waking mode of consciousness?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
<I mean, dreams that could be mistaken for reality by any person in a normal waking mode of consciousness?>

I did try to throw in a few elements of strangeness, like everyone turning thier head at once. Also, a subtle hint that he can't get his lock open no matter what he does.

Some dreams in my teen years were very vivid and real. Less so nowadays.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited January 08, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Vivid and "real", yes. But realistic?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Many people have dreams that they cannot distinguish from reality. For some the problem arises as which is real the dream or life?

the movie Brazil was a good example.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
My ex-wife once had a dream that me and Tom Cruise were sticking needles in her. She woke up and started kicking me. She was still mad at me the next day.

I never asked if she was still mad at Tom Cruise.

It was a good hint that we weren't meant for each other.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I did try to throw in a few elements of strangeness, like everyone turning thier head at once. Also, a subtle hint that he can't get his lock open no matter what he does.

These both sound like the way I viewed things in high school. I read them as good POV writing of a paranoid school kid, not as dream elements.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited January 10, 2005).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Since a dream is cliche, I'm considering a different opening anyway.
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Cliche' is not always bad, the reason something becomes cliched is often because it works :-)

I do like the idea of him daydreaming in class. Maybe have it start in class and he drifts off to sleep (obscuring the point where he drifts off) and then events unfold and he jerks awake looking like a spazz with her watching.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.