Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » McZombie the rewrite or the story that taught me that I know nothing about grammar.

Author Topic: McZombie the rewrite or the story that taught me that I know nothing about grammar.
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I post my 13 lines I want to whine and vent about writing. I work in engineering to put food on the table. I have found that engineering has short circuited a big portion of my abilities to talk with human beings. It is absolutely frustrating to learn that I speak and write a special language of acronyms, abbreviations, and even special spellings and punctuations. Its like waking up to find that McZombie might have been a subconscious allegory to my life. Oh well.

Here is my slaved over opening to the rewritten story. Let me know if you'd like to read the whole thing (1000 words). And feel free to post any thoughts you may have.

McZombie
By J B Skaggs

"We're sorry, but all our manager positions are filled," the manager said. She was a dark haired middle aged woman. Her nametag read: "manager."

"Look, I really need work. I’m manager material, but I can do anything," Melissa said as she chewed her gum quite loudly. I can't believe I'm begging for a McJob. Geez. Can’t these people tell I am the next Britney Spears? Look at me! I’m so hot. That jealous cow fired me at Burger Prince because she couldn’t handle that I was going to be famous.

"Honey, you don't want to work here," The manager said.

Another employee turned slowly in circles, his mouth drooping open and his eyes staring unblinking.

"Marshall! Go take out the trash," the manager yelled.

He quit shuffling, moaned softly, and shuffled towards the trash can.

Melissa watched the employees trudge along, numb, and stupid. Some were standing with mouths agape, watching the meat patties sizzle. What a bunch of feebs! Like, I can do so much better. The Cosmo-Rocker’s personality quiz said I was so bound for stardom.

[This message has been edited by JBSkaggs (edited December 29, 2004).]

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I've still got your first version - I can read this one instead, if you'd rather.

btw the language in the first one didn't strike me as particularly awkward or ungrammatical or engineerish or anything. relax.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really upset, its more that I find myself living in a Dilbert comic strip. It's funny.

And thanks guys.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll suggest you don't use italics, but you have to understand that I freely admit to being on a mission from God to stamp out all unnecessary italics in prose!

The thing is, you have a deep penetration, and in a deep penetration you can just put character thoughts in there in normal print, just there. I'm sure you've read Card's books. He does that sort of thing all the time: direct character thoughts with no italics or quotes or anything else but you know what they are. Italics are difficult to read. Not substantially; not to the point that most people think in conscioussly, but they read those parts more slowly and have to pay more attention. That's the point of italics, actualy, to get someone to stop and think about the words in question. They are often misused in textbooks that seem to think italics are interchangeable with boldface. Boldface draws attention but italics, especially in repition, make the eyes want to skip over that part. This is why in my opinion they should only be used for ocassional emphasis, when you want someone to slow down and have to think about the word or words in question.

I've said my peace. I'm going to have to take a miss on critiquing the whole thing, though because I'm in the middle of moving and I should frankly be packing right now.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL oh ungrammatikal zombie enthusiast

See http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum33/HTML/000007.html

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Look at me!" can be in italics, but none of the rest of that should be subvocalized. "What a bunch of feebs!" could make it with better support, but you're using essentially the same line later in the story, according to the example you posted before. So you don't want to pull it out here. As I see it, italics are for indicating something that a person had right on the tip of the tongue before deciding to not say it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.