Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » October 3, 2019 Did You Write?

Author Topic: October 3, 2019 Did You Write?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
October 3, 2019 Did You Write?

While many here will write every day without a prompt, some of us have difficulty finding time to write every month, let alone every week or every day. the concept of this note is to get people to announce their writing production, even if it is none, so that they might see over time how little they are writing, and try to open something, anything, during the week so they can report that they actually wrote. Over time it is supposed to be easier to open a piece of work each week, and it becomes a regular habit to write. One eventually finishes something.
'
As to what writing is, We leave that pretty much up to you. If you have to ask if it is writing, the answer is yes. How much does not matter either. If one is editing, the objective might be to reduce the word count. General editing might involve ten thousand words and end up with adding a hundred words.
Because few of us write perfectly the first time, we all end up having to edit. Editing is writing, even if it is someone else's work. Critiquing is writing also as it is a form of editing.
Some other suggestions of what is writing, beside new writing, is poetry, blogging, technical writing, writing assignments, world and character creation, and plotting a story. Even E-mails can be writing if they are very wordy and pertain to story or writing. Of course not everybody will agree with this list, or will add others. What is more important is your decision that it is writing.

I was gone a week to sit with my two writing partners and blast through some stories. I read portions of one story, then all of another story I had reached the end of. they each read one of theirs. Along with loads of running around, we finally went over and edited two of my stories sentence by sentence, changing punctuation and solving some minor problems. It made a big difference in making both stories publishable. I cannot put either in until I have one or more stories finished.
I had one big fear, where I did not have really good action in one of them. It turned out to have less changes than I ever expected. It was actually quite good.
In our writing sessions, we came up with my next three stories in the series that I have to get written and quick. I think I can do it, but it will require a lot of other things not happening.

I had ended last month a story idea behind I could have written one last story idea, but decided finishing the work in progress was far more important. I have a whole month to catch up this month.
As it was, I wrote 29 Story ideas, ending on Page 36, with a total of 20696 words. The story ideas will remain short and to the point for at least the next few months.

For a story idea, consider a person, possibly a minor deity, who lives in a place where time there has basically stopped. he lives there without there ever being an interruption.
Periodically, the person goes out into the real world to see what is going on, sort of a vacation. the world changes over time and the character has difficulty getting into the groove of the changes. the story would be of someone who might have visited in the past, who appears in our time and tries to make heads or tails of what is around them.
An alternative is that He lives years in his place, but when he steps out, he had been gone for about five or ten minutes, depending on how many years he has been gone. here, his problem is that he forgets who people and things are. His very best friend, who he just said goodbye to, has now become a total stranger when he returns. His friend thinks he has lost his mind or something. He remembers almost nothing of what happened when he was there last.

AS to the question of the week,
I can say,

YES, I DID WRITE.

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did. Mostly revisions at this point. Some new world-building that's turning out well so far. And two new blog posts .
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished my WIP!! 13,000 words.

Now, onto the novel. Tally ho!

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did, finished an awesome week for me. 3 submissions, and a new story going, where its going I have no idea, and I mean no idea.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I started a rewrite on an old SF story that I still have faith in as far as the ideas go. Still working out all the changes necessary but I think I can get it working much better.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Started up again...an old idea emerged and crystallized around some new ideas, and the next thing I know I'm some three thousand words into some other lengthy thing.

"Lengthy thing." I've been casting around for something short, but this looks like it might not stop till twenty thousand words or so...I have some hope, 'cause right now it's bouncing between flashbacks, and I can write what I want and then just remove the flashbacks later.

Anyway, after the first burst it was a steady five hundred words a day through Saturday...then Sunday and Monday got busy and I had to drop it...but I'm on vacation right now and have more time before I go away to do some writing...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
About 10k last week on my WIP, but I did have a day off on Sunday. I'm just over 80k with a 120k target.

Printed out my previous WIP ready for editing. Plan to edit that and plot the next one whilst finishing the first draft of the current one.

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited October 05, 2010).]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, got a bit done on my WIP and some critting.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else notice it says Did you write Oct 3, 2019?

And yes, yes I did.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually not yet...that's what you get for putting the "zero" and the "nine" keys right next to each other...I input my numbers on the numeric keyboard with a three-finger-and-thumb skill I picked up in my flat-sorting-machine days...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I actually got 2K words done yesterday on my WIP. Going to add another 1000 today. Got a great muse boost.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Yes, I did.

Busy time though so a lot less than I wanted to, but some of that was my fault.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I'm writing in 2019. Means the Myans were wrong!

I've been lucky so far this week in that I've gotten a few k words done on my WotF entry for this coming Q.

I might even have it done in time for the 14th. That would be a first.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done much actual writing. I did a lot of editing on one short piece I have called "Liberation" and did some serious staring at my longer WIP called [u]No Island Paradise[/u]. I also went through a big pile of my old abandoned stories looking for NaNo fodder. I think I found something likely, so I'm pretty jazzed about that. It's a scrap I wrote a long time ago with the working title [u]The Devil[/u]. I have no idea where it will end up but I like the character I started working up. Hopefully this week I'll get some character bios going and begin roughing up an outline.

Ick, how do I underline? I thought I used the right UBB code for it.

[This message has been edited by coralm (edited October 07, 2010).]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Might as well post again. I'm going away later today and won't be around...as for my writing, well, I wrote about five hundred words right after my last post...then vacation stuff took over and things shut down.

I'll be gone for over a week. It isn't possible for me to write (or go online) while I'm gone. I hope to resume within a few days of my return, as I'm still off from work for a week-plus, and the thing I was working on seems full of delightful and entertaining prospects.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.