Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Short Fiction Submissions Count

Author Topic: Short Fiction Submissions Count
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've satisfied my curiosity about how many English language unsolicited short fiction manuscripts circulate annually.

These are rounded and approximated figures from my research;

2500 online and print digests accepting unsolicited short fiction submissions.
From publishers who indicate how many manuscripts they receive, several hundred to 1000 plus unsolicited submissions per month, median number 650.
2500 x 650 x 12 = 19,500,000 per annum unsolicited submissions, give or take a few million.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
But surely, a single story may get more than one hit. I have stories that went to 6 places last year.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

submissions, not individual stories
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, your first sentence confused me.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bet that some 19,000,000 of them include a mistake in the first 13 lines -- grammar, spelling, dreaming, no hook -- that's serious enough for the slush reader to instantly dismiss them; so the odds on getting published aren't quite as bad as they might appear.
Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

I suppose, from screening readers's comments that I've encountered, that a significant majority of submissions are rejected based on the first sentence, not all for mechanical detriments, but also for other key factors, like a lack of intitiating immersion. An illustrative article on what goes through an editor's mind by editor-in-chief of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone Magazine (closed 1989), Tappan King;

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/myrtle2.htm

It would be an amusing article if it weren't so tragic too.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, extrinsic.

I mentioned "The Sobering Saga of Myrtle the Manuscript" in a presentation I gave today at a writing workshop, and I told them I didn't know if it was available or not.

I'm so glad to see that it is availabe, and I recommend it to all Hatrackers.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I know one of mine once got read fairly far into it 'cause I found a coffee cup stain about page twenty.

Also, I gave up putting paper clips on even short manuscripts 'cause I never got them back. After that, once in awhile, I'd get one of theirs.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Deciphering handling marks is one reason I like to get manuscripts back; however, many houses refuse to return them. I'm of two minds lately, though. Cost versus limited data return. I've gotten more back that didn't indicate any handling than ones that were dented, stained, and marked on. In fact, the ones that received the least interest were the ones that were most damaged.
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Extrinsic's post got me thinking about my current practice.

I usually tell the magazine that my manuscript is disposable, and simply enclose a #10 SASE for the return contract or rejection slip. Saves me money, especially since I can get paper very cheap, and especially since any potential revision I might choose to make before submitting it elsewhere would make the returned manuscript obsolete anyway.

But, now, my paranoid mind has me wondering. Does the lack of an ability for the magazine staff to return a manuscript (without incurring an unwanted expense of providing their own manuscript sized mailer) cause them to balk at accepting a manuscript because the author did not provide a way for them to pass along any proposed changes? Also (and I've never experienced this)...are there magazine staffs that make comments directly on the manuscript before returning it?

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

One answer to that question is in Tappan King's article. An editor-in-chief will initiate communication to discuss changes if they're interested and want or need to make changes, phone or e-mail.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.