Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What can be done with this?

Author Topic: What can be done with this?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
What if sideline rage could be nipped in the bud with a quick genetic test that told Mom and Dad what sports – if any – Junior could master? The Boulder, Colo., company Atlas Sports Genetics today began selling just that sort of product: for $149, it says it will screen for variants of the gene ACTN3, which in elite-level athletes is associated with the presence of the muscle protein alpha-actinin-3. The protein helps muscles contract powerfully at high speeds, which may explain why the combination of ACTN3 variants that produce it has been found in Olympic sprinters.

whole story
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=genes-sports-talent

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Two immidiate ideas come to mind.

You could have someone who tested to be an athlete decide not to when they become old enough to decide their own interests. You then have the option of having them succeed at their chosen field and prove the geneticist wrong or have them fail miserably and prove that genetics does determine ability.

Conversly you could have someone who doesn't test as an athlete decide to become an athlete, then you have the same options of having them succeed or fail.

Another one just came to me. You could have a controversy about how a company who sells this product is altering the results to show the child will be a good athlete. This company is also the parent company of another company that specializes in training children who show sports aptitude. It would take years before anyone realizes there is a large percentage of children who enrolled in this program, at the recommendation of the original company, who have absolutely no athletic ability.

Just some thoughts, feel free to use any or none of them.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Gattaca to me.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, any story that relies heavily on an idea of people making decisions about their future/career based on genetics is going to have that feel.
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Hitler trying to genetically enhance athletes and soldiers? I also remember reading something about Russian experiments.

It makes me think about crossing the themes from No Escape and Soldier. Hmmm.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
First thing I thought of was how valuable sperm (for artificial insemination) with these genes would be. Maybe a heist story with the prize being $100 million dollars worth of pro athlete sperm or something.
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Um... don't you see the female contribution included? An egg DOES supply half the genetic material. Sperm is highly overrated.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Your point is taken Elan, but the reality is that sperm determines sex and males make a lot more money on the sport circuit than women. So if you wanted to have a male with the needed genetic variation the sperm would be more valuable than the ovum.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Near as I can tell---and what little I learned was some time ago, before much in the way of modern advances---though it takes one egg and one sperm to start a child, the actual construction of genetic information isn't an even fifty-fifty split.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Robert.

For each gene we (usually) get two copies, one from each parent; there are exceptions to this. For each pair, some copies are repressed (not expressed at all), some genes co-expressed but at different levels, and some equally expressed (or pretty close to). And, of course, we don't know which ones are which and they can change with tissue type, age and environment. There is a reason that we still know very little about the human genome even though the genome project completed in 2001! Well, that's not completely fair, we know more now than we did in 2001, but I digress.

Also, there is very little genetic information on the Y chromosome. Hairy ears, as I recall, and a couple of other things.

8)

Leslie

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited December 02, 2008).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but sperm is so much more easily harvested and there's more of it. How many thousands (millions?) to one egg?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.