Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Short stories as preludes to a novel

Author Topic: Short stories as preludes to a novel
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the ultimate goal is to write novels. I've begun by trying to crank out a number of short stories, because they can be finished, learned from, and another started much more quickly.

What has happened with the first handful is that they tend to be small episodes that take place in an epic fantasy setting.

For example, I'm writing one now that is something of an origin story for a character who I imagine will feature prominently in a novel I write some day. Its not necessarily a "to be continued" type of thing, but when it ends, its clear that the character's adventures are just beginning.

What are everyone's thoughts on writing short stories that are clearly snippets of a larger narrative? Does this turn off editors? Do most markets look for more self-contained stories?

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
That is a really good question. I have no idea. But I second your curiosity.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It was done with Bram Stoker's Dracula, sort-of:

Dracula's Guest

"Dracula's Guest was excised from the original Dracula manuscript by its publisher because of the length of the original book. It was published as a short story in 1914, two years after Stoker's death."

And Patrick Rothfuss won the WotF with The Road to Levenshir, which was part of The Name of the Wind.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 25, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have sold several stories featuring the same character (Yi Qin), who is intended to be the protagonist of several novels. Some of the stories are even, in effect, "novel extracts", reshaped to provide completion (i.e. lots of sub-plotty stuff taken out, or the ending modified to ensure closure).

So long as a short story is complete in and of itself, I don't think you should have a problem with this approach. Some editors won't know or care whether this is part of a "greater vision" of the writer. Others may be interested in serial characters, and tie-ins with possible novels. But if the story is satisfying, that's what really matters.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"For me, the ultimate goal is to write novels. I've begun by trying to crank out a number of short stories, because they can be finished, learned from, and another started much more quickly."

This is exactly the strategy I'm following, for I would hate to invest the time it takes to write a novel only to discover that I can't adequately handle plot, action, character development or foreshadowing.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a messy, over-written novel waiting to be re-written and I have tried to take bits out for short stories. The problem I hit is that a novel world is a lot more complex than a short story world. If I take out a lot of the background - religions, cultures, backstory, it feels like I'm not giving my story the depth it needs.

I think short stories can become novels, or pieces thereof, but vice versa is very hard.

I think you need to really narrow things down and definitely have a completion of some sort. You can't assume that the reader will ever see the sequel.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that this topic has come up when it has. I have one novella in the works that can easily expand into a novel from where I left it off. I'm also planning on sending the shorter version in to the WOTF contest once I finish polishing it. The thing is that my POV has to learn a lesson and meets with a bit of a nasty ending. I've also been thinking of taking the prologue of one of my novels and entering it in the WOTF competition, too. The thing is the protagonist also meets with a bad end.

So my question is (without trying to sound too much off topic) if I decided to use either of these as a novella or short story; Is it bad form for the POV or the protagonist to meet a bad end? I'm also interested in everyone's responses to the original question since I've already decided to go this route.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Very much depends on the protagonist, and the method of POV. Generally, havign a first person POV gets the reader "closer" to a character and "And then I died" is rarely going to get you any favours with editor or readers. As with all things, it CAN be done, but it has be done very very well, and rarely is.

In general, the more likeable your MC is, and the more teh story centres around them as opposed to an ensemble cast, the harder time you'll have giving them a "bad end" and yet leaving your readers feeling they enjoyed the story.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
In the first story, the POV richly deserves what happens to him. The story leads up to this ending all the way through. And, no, I rarely ever use first person. Let's just say that the POV doesn't die .

The second story I mention that is a prologue could be a bit more sticky. The MC does die at the end. This is because the novel that this is from is not about her but her son who is born upon her death.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> What are everyone's thoughts on writing short stories that
> are clearly snippets of a larger narrative? Does this turn
> off editors?

For a new writer, I think it almost certainly turns off editors. But the important words there are "clearly snippets." If you make sure the short story works well standing alone, then it no longer is clearly a snippet of a larger narrative.

> Do most markets look for more self-contained stories?

Yes. Basically, unless you are a well-known author writing a short story in one of your previously established fictional universes, each story needs to be able to stand completely on its own. And even if you are a well-known author writing a short story in one of your previously established fictional universes, markets probably still prefer it if the story can stand completely on its own.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.