Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Addicted

Author Topic: Addicted
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
A little while ago I posted a thread that said working on my novel felt like fighting with a gorilla.

I had to struggle just to hammer out a sentence.

Lately I can't stop writing. I come home from work, and just type. It's like a freaking river has opened up in my head, and my story is pouring out.

I have been goofing aroudn with short stories lately, which is something I usually avoid, so maybe this is the cause of my newfound inspiration.

But it feels like I'm addicted. While I'm teaching (I teach English in a Japanese high school, for those who don't know) I'm still thinking of my characters and situations.

I'm finding it hard to think of stuff other than my writing.

Is this bad??

Has anybody else felt this way?

I worry that I'll need to go to meetings and say stuff like:

"Hi, my name is Ronnie. I'm a writeaholic."

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's great. I wouldn't worry about it, I'd brag! Isn't it nice to have an addiction that actually accomplishes something? It just means you are a writer. And you love what you do. Go for it.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
autumn, I'm not complaining, trust me!

I'm just curious if others have felt this way.

Share with the group!

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
Life is like that, highs and lows, so take full advantage while it lasts. Keep the ideas that spark so you can go back to them for inspiration when things are quiet writing-wise.
Don't worry - enjoy it
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi my name is Jessica and I'm a writeaholic.
Umm is this the writeaholic meeting?

I personally love those days where you can write blissfully and create page after page.
But I think worse than a writeaholic is a edit-aholic--which is what I am right now . . . I've stayed up until four in the morning editing....haven't gotten anything else done. . . somebody stop me before I go insane.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

Had a whole day to myself yesterday just bumming about the house, tried writing but wasn't in the mood. Got back to work today and the ideas are flowing- don't ya just hate that.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. After thirty plus years, and minimal success, I find I can no more stop writing than I can stop breathing.

Though my output tends to be around five hundred words a day, on a day when I write. Even on days when I don't write, I'll be turning something I'm planning on writing. (I hope to write some of it down later today.) Other things rule my time and crowd writing out---which, as I point out bitterly elsewhere in these current threads, hasn't paid anything.

It's similar to what Homer Simpson once said: "I used to rock and roll every night and party ev-ery day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can get a half hour each week to get funky." (Quoted from memory. Feel free to correct.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.