Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Best Format For A Story With Dates

Author Topic: The Best Format For A Story With Dates
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I've a short story in the form of a journal. What's the best format for the datestamp?
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Captain's Log, Stardate 3045.6
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Year of Our Lord 1456, at Christmastide
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, it depends on the viewpoint of the journal-er. European might be "1 Aug 2005." A technical type, US, might be "8/1." What fits with the narrator's character?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
i prefer stardate 3134.6
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're aiming for a general (global) audience, use words for your months, not numbers.

1/8/05 is the 8th of January in the US, but the 1st of August in Europe. Saying "January 8th" will make it abundantly clear.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Should they be bolded, underlined, italized, some of the above?
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
They should be consistent

And I would have thought that marking them up as bold, italic or both would just help to mark them out as the transitoins from one section to another. That's if you're talking about using them as headings. If you're referring to dates within the text (i.e. the journal entry refers to other dates - "As on 3rd August, I found myself faced with a dilemma") just treat them as part of the text.

I'm not sure what the term for a short story in journal form is - I assume there is one (as per epistolary). I would think that you'd start each entry as a new "chapter" - if you had the space and your typesetters were amenable, each entry should start a new page.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.