Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Grammar preference

Author Topic: Grammar preference
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm struggling with something that seems to be more opinion than rule of law in practice. I'm not really looking for suggestions, just opening this up for debate.

option a) something something, then something else

option b) something something, and then something else

Word's grammar check seems to hate option (a) and insists on (b), where as option (a) seems to be commonly used in practice. Sometimes (a) just seems right.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong, but for option "a" you would need to use a ';' instead of a comma.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I always prefer the less wordy options. Wordy writers waste my time. This makes them evil.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
LDS: whether you need a comma or a semicolon in Option A depends on whether the second clause can stand alone as a complete sentence or not. If it's a fragment, then a semicolon would be misplaced.

Option A: The evil robot monkeys fired their weapons at Clarissa, then ran away.

Option B: The evil robot monkeys fired their weapons at Clarissa, and then ran away.

I think I prefer the version with the "and," but I wouldn't get worked up about it either way, personally. Doc Brown is now forwarned, and welcome to avoid reading my work.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I use option (a) with fragments all the time, even though (b) is more correct grammatically. I think it's perfectly clear without the "and" there, and it seems to flow better most of the time.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited May 29, 2005).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Grammar checkers often miss shortcuts, I think.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i like the and as well, but i would probably not even notice whether it was included or not in the process of reading, unless it was something that glaringly sounds better with or without the and.

there are times that i would say forget the and... it's a case by case thing for me, whichever seems to fit the narrative flow the best is the best.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually had internal battles over this very question. Sad, in retrospect, but I think it's important to ask yourself these questions. Bad grammar distracts me so much when I'm reading, I don't want my readers to go through the same thing. For example, not using a comma before the 'and' in a list drives me nuts. In this case, it's a situation where the rule itself actually changes over time, so I should be more forgiving (the rule may have even changed back to omitting it for all I know), but I still can't stand it.

As far as I know (which isn't much further than a Word spellcheck), 'and then' is the correct form. However, in speech and when I'm reading, just 'then' seems far more natural. Perhaps Lord Darkstorm is right and a semi-colon is what's needed. Unlike Beth's example, I only use 'then' when the part following it could be its own sentence (in which case the comma before the 'and then' or 'then' is appropriate). For example:

The evil robot monkeys fired their weapons at Clarissa, then they ran away.

vs.

The evil robot monkeys fired their weapons at Clarissa and then ran away.

Both of the above examples are how I'd write it. I don't think the top one is correct, but doesn't it flow more naturally? Maybe a semi-colon is just the ticket to keep grammar-nazis happy.

[This message has been edited by apeiron (edited May 30, 2005).]

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

You know, it bugs the hell out of me when writers refer to people who insist on correct punctuation as "nazis." Why participate in a punctuation thread if you have so little regard for the subject?

The top one requires a semicolon to be correct in your version.

Beth
Member # 2192

oh, and the comma before "and" in a list is the Oxford comma, and is not consistently mandatory; different style guides require it, or not.

I favor them, myself, if only to avoid constructions like "my parents, Madonna and God."

But not using them is not inherently wrong, as not using the semicolon in the top sentence is.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Beth,

The semicolon may be correct, but they terrify readers. I try to avoid them whenever possible. I find myself using the m-dash frequently as a substitute.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Are you serious?

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's acceptable to omit "and" in "she did this, then that." It's implied.

Semicolons terrify readers? Not me! Except the man-eating ones.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a reader who only recently began writing, semicolons do not scare me. The only time I even notice them is if they are done wrong. I think it is the writers who don't know how to use them, who are terrified of semicolons.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The semicolon is such a wimpy piece of punctuation that I hardly ever use it to join two sentences. I prefer to use an em-dash -- it's more dashing.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited May 31, 2005).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Would someone please explain just why an em-dash is called an em-dash? My ignorance apalls me.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a typesetting thing, Mike.

The em-dash takes up two spaces -- and what used to be called an "en-dash" (aka hyphen) takes up one. I believe that is because the letter m (em) is wider than the letter n (en) and in proportional fonts it takes up more space.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would someone please explain just why an em-dash is called an em-dash? My ignorance apalls me.

It goes back to old type setting methods. There are two (possibly three, but I personally only have experience with two) types of dashes: an em-dash (a longer one) and an en-dash (a shorter one). In type setting, the em-dash was as long as a lowercase "m"; the en-dash was as long as a lowercase "n". I think that is why two en-dashes are sometimes used instead of one em-dash.

Something like that.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Like my dashing friend Eric I use the em-dashes frequently, but I also use semicolons...mostly to be contrary.
Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm the same way with my em-dashes and semi-colons as i am with the word and.

i do whatever feels best in the particular sentence and pacing of the story.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.