Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Why can't I come up with endings?

Author Topic: Why can't I come up with endings?
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
I might have been a published author long ago, but for the fact that I can't seem to come up with an ending to my stories.

I can begin them. I can complicate them. But when it comes to resolving them in a satisfactory way, I'm stumped.

Do you know of any good books that address this? What do you do when you are at a loss for an ending?

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you haven't defined a clear goal for your protagonist(s). Your story generally ends when the main goal is resolved in some way. Some authors need to plan out their stories before writing them. You might consider doing that.

I say this often here on Hatrack, but I find it useful: write your ending first, then write the rest. Or write your beginning, then write the ending, and then do the middle.

Yet, it may also be that you're getting bogged down in details. If you get stuck somewhere, mark that page and move on. Write the next scene or chapter. Don't let it hold you back, keep going. You can always come back to it.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked the same question awhile back. Here is the thread: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001353.html

For what it is worth, I have now gotten a handle on endings, at least for short stories. The key is to know the ending (or at least where you need to be to get to something that can become and ending) before you write the beginning. Even just a nebulous idea that you can't vocalize even to yourself, but is a heads up from your subconscious that when you get there, you'll know.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you HSO and Autumnmuse.
Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like the problem is that you have no climax to the story. I absolutely can't write anything if I don't know the climax because that's the entire point of the story. If you figure out the climax, then the entire story is only setting up for it. My current project is a good case in point. I knew the mileau, I knew the protagonists, and I knew the antagonists, but they had nothing to do, so I floundered. I ended up scrapping everything I wrote and starting over when I discovered the whole point of the story. In fact, I generally have all the major plot events in my head before I start. The only hard thing about the ending now is exactly how to end it...like the last paragraph. that is a very important decision and difficult precisely because it is so important.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's hard to know without a specific case. Sometimes I have a problem because I don't know HOW to resolve the problem. The hero's been magically transformed into a dragon. How does he get changed back? It took me years to know.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
... and I have the same problem with sentences -- for some reason, I just can't come up with

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited May 28, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the ending of two of my stories, but getting the characters there to the ending is one problem I have. I see the beginning and the end as well as a bit of the middle, but that's a different problem.

I know just how you feel. If you can help me out on the middle part, maybe I could helpp you out on the end, don't know. We could see what happens?

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
In both of OSC's books on writing (CHARACTER AND VIEWPOINT and HOW TO WRITE SCIENCE FICTION & FANTASY), he talks about M.I.C.E. the four kinds of stories (according to his theory of writing).

If you go to his discussion of M.I.C.E. in HOW TO WRITE SCIENCE FICTION & FANTASY, you can read how to tell what kind of story you are writing, and you can read how each kind of story should end.

Once you know what you are writing in a story, you should be able to figure out how it has to end. I strongly recommend this to every writer who has trouble with endings.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm terrible at endings myself, Void. I know just what you mean. I think part of the problem is that I spent so much of my life writing beginnings...I have a ton of practice at that....but I only started finishing things a few years ago. WHen it comes to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, I haven't had enough on endings.

I use MICE, I try to understand my characters and their goals, and I work for an exciting climax, but that doesn't mean it doesn't fall flat. Endings are some of the hardest things to do. Honestly, in printed and filmed material I find unsatisfying or "could be better" endings all the time. In fact, one of my favorite authors, Heimlein, doesn't end hs books at all. He just stops writing.

That probably doesn't help you at all, but I thought I'd commiserate.

Oh yeah, I was going to just brag a bit and say that my husband finally finished reviewing my first completed novel (which I've been trying to sell despite his unfinished comments) and he said it was the best ending I ever wrote. That it actually ended for once. Hehe...musta learned something!

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited May 29, 2005).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And then an asteroid came down and killed them all.

That's usually sufficient to end the story.

Obviously you can end the story, so the trick is to come up with a satisfactory ending. (The asteroid ending is rarely satisfactory.)

I think David Gerrold's advice on plotting might be helpful. Here's how he divides up a story (Actually, it's how I divide it up based on what I remember him saying, so don't blame him for anything wrong):

I. The Beginning
A. The person
B. The problem
C. The person realizes the problem is HIS problem.

II. The Middle
A. The problem proves itself to be bigger and deeper and wider than the person thought.
B. The flipover point -- before this, the problem drove the story; after this, the person drives the story.
C. The person repeatedly tries to solve the problem and fails.

III. The End
A. The person tries to solve the problem and succeeds.
B. Tie up any loose ends.

Since an ending is very simple -- just have your protagonist solve the problem -- not being able to figure out how to end a story is generally indicative of difficulty with an earlier part of the story.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.