Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » typos on purpose?

Author Topic: typos on purpose?
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think? If I were to purposefully put typos in a short story to try to represent a real-life blog entry will that come across as carelessness on my part or will it help the reality?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how it is executed. So long as it is clear you are recreating the blog and the reader understands that blogs are often full of typos, then you should be fine.

That said I don't think any reader would look at a non-typo'd version and think, hey there should be some typos in this.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
I did that in one story and nobody liked it. Most people, however, DID prefer I stick with the acronyms so popular today, such as ROTFL, LOL, L8R, etc...

I wasn't sure I wanted to because I wasn't sure if it would stand the test of time -- namely, would those colloquialized terms really mean anything ten years from now? If someone reading the book runs into LOL fifteen years down the road and has no clue what it means, have I lost them? Maybe.

Personally I think it's perfectly okay to misspell things or shorten words, but my experience was not many people liked it. I think they look at it like dialogue -- people do say things like "y'all" and "that aint got nuttin to do wid it"...but we still type the dialogue in a normal/correct fashion.

my 2 pennies (which seem to be increasingly worthless...I may have to start giving my four cents worth instead...inflation, you know?).

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I don't like reading blogs with misspellings - I know I have Issues about this, but I would find a character who took the time to get her blog spelled right more sympathetic and likeable than a character with poor spelling.

The best example I can think of, though, where bad spelling was used to good effect, is Flowers for Algernon.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my 2 pennies (which seem to be increasingly worthless...I may have to start giving my four cents worth instead...inflation, you know?).

And two GBP pennies nearly equals four USD pennies. So if I give two pennies worth in UK money, then it's like twice the advice for Americans, right?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my advice must be worth a little less then, or else I need to start offering 3¢ CAD

As for the mispellings, I would be cautious and only use them sparingly. I don't know if this would work, but perhaps you could specifically draw attention to the errors. That way it would seem like part of the story rather than sloppiness or ignorance on your part.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited January 20, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
No, HSO, you'll just be expected to talk less.

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited January 20, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh... ouch, Jer...

Good one, tho'.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Much love, HSO
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Then I suppose my two yen are worth even less. But here they are anyway, Typos drive me crazy so I would dislike it if you put them in. Because you are writing a story not drawing a blog. LoL and that are the language of our times. Just like Forsoothe means nothing today, that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been written then.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on how you handle it. If the story is told entirely in misspelled blogging, yeah, I'd be annoyed. If the blogs simply punctuate the story and are clearly denoted as such, then go ahead and make them realistic--something a teenage would write. You should SEE my thirteen-year-old's handwritten assignments! They didn't do a very good job of teaching her handwriting or spelling in real school, so we're spending valuable time correcting those problems at home.

You'd just have to be careful not to overdo, not to make the blogs difficult to translate for us non-blogging literate adults.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your comments all. The way I was pondering using the typos was to show that a person's mental state was deteriorating over time so her early blog messages would be fine but then they would get sloppier and slopper. I finally decided that there were better ways to show this and I agreed whole-heartedly with HuntGod's assessment that he wouldn't start thinking it needed some typos if there weren't any. That's how I often feel about bad language and dialect in any story (to a certain extent...there is an element of voice that needs to come through).

Anyway, thanks for all the pennies, British, American, and yes, even Canadian. (cheapskates...could at least give me a Canadian dollar...I think it's worth about 2 pennies )

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i just checked a bunch of exchange rates for the heck of it (partly because of the yen thing...)

and as i expected, AUD averages as being worth the least (-1.3 % compared to USD) and yen isn't bad, it averages -.5 % compared to USD, CAD is almost -1 % compared to USD, and so on.

i don't know why i said this, but the web-site i used is here: http://www.x-rates.com/

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember 'Flowers for Algernon"?
The way it went up in legibility, and then back down. I thought that was an excellent method of showing the character's state of mind. Intelligence, too.

Man, that was a good story...

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I wasn't sure if I should be offended on behalf of a nation ( )

I checked, and 2¢US is about 2.449¢CAD, so actually my offer of 3¢CAD was pretty darn generous!

dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
why do we take things off topic so much around here?
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
ADHD!!!!
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

ADHD, ABC, CAD, COD, DOA, DOD...

What? There was a topic?

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited January 21, 2005).]

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

That's what you get for hanging around a bunch of bright and creative people who like talking to other bright and creative people.
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

Who are you calling bright?
Huh? Huh?
Yeah, that's what I thought!

*struts away...trips..plays it off..struts away..*

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd put mispellings in a letter by a semi-illiterate; why not in a blog? But not enought to make it hard to read; or else keep the blog part short.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You can indicate intelligence level as well by word choice as you can by spelling. (In fact, poor spelling does not necessarily mean lower intelligence, and vice versa.)

Anyway, on word choice: I refer you to Rita Mae Brown's advice in STARTING FROM SCRATCH (I think), where she encourages writers to use words of one syllable (Anglo-Saxon-ish) for characters with less education or lower intelligence and words with many syllables (Latinate) for characters with more education or higher intelligence.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't just the spelling that improved and then degraded in FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON, it was also the vocabulary.

And English has enough words of one or many syllables to make this kind of characterization possible.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
And the mentation level. He just wasn't writing about the same things.

That said, spelling in something that purports to be a direct quote from a document written in English is a perfectly valid tool, as least as much as creating an artificial document in the first place. It's really not that different from having a sign reading "Ye olde Somthing Shoppe" or a character named "Kristine".

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.