Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The absolute worst thing about writing

Author Topic: The absolute worst thing about writing
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate hate hate losing things. I mean I hate it. Whenever I lose something it makes me just want to throw down my pen and scream. I just lost some stuff that I spent about two hours working on (mind you I was half-watching tv at the time but still) and it's driving me insane. I had a folder that had two critiques and a marked up copy of the first chapter of my WIP and I had rewritten a decent chunk of it and was fairly happy with it. Now I can't find that stupid folder it just disappeared and it's driving me insane. Does this happen to other people out there and is it as frustrating for you? I mean if I lose three thousand words sometimes I won't write for a couple of weeks because I don't want to go on without it because there are always little things that I like to build on and I don't like having holes in my story. Argh, at least it was only editing and not actual story, that's even worse.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

- posted      Profile for ambongan           Edit/Delete Post 
Been there.

For that reason, I keep my writings in the same folder and have the Word program save automatically every 5 minutes. I also date every draft and every day I work on it gets saved seperatly. It creates lots of redundencies and uses disk space, but if I lose something, it is never 3000 words.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my computer lock up on me after writing 10 pages. Luckily I have it automatically save every couple of mintues, so everything was recovered.

As for your other problem--loosing stuff--have you tried buying a cheap, two-drawer file cabinet? I'm not an unorganized person by nature, but the filing cabinet helps me keep everything together.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
3000 words? That's nothing. I once lost everything. Not just that story, but every piece of fiction on my computer. I suffered a mental breakdown, then, where elves and sprites were telling me that my stories had gone on to better places, and were playing with St. Peter in the sky.

Okay, not really. But it still sucked.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think every writer loses something in his life. Hemmingway lost most of his young work on a train. A teacher stole the first thing I ever wrote. (I shouldn't say stole, I gave it to her but it's still long gone.)
More recently I lost the Storyline to my Constant WIP. I put it somewhere safe so it wouldn't get lost but I don't know where that place is. (But it must be filled with all sorts of wonders.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
SamiJo
Member # 2124

- posted      Profile for SamiJo   Email SamiJo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm completley paranoid about loosing something I write. That's why I save it to my computer, make a back-up disk, and print out a copy to put in my files.

When I would write things out on paper, I would always loose them, so I know how it feels. But I just tell myself it was fate (it was not human error dangit!) and try to move on.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I wonder if the best thing that can happen to a writer is if they loose everything they've ever written. I'm certainly not advocating deleting everything you've written, but there's something to be said about having a fresh start, with nothing behind save experience. Loosing everything is certainly the ultimate fresh start.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
babylonfreek
Member # 2097

- posted      Profile for babylonfreek   Email babylonfreek         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's a horrible thing to envision. With three novels in the works, ideas for five more, and dozens of shorts... if I lost it it wouldn't be a "fresh start" it would be depression central. In fact it is my single greatest fear. I usually run a double hard drive, several floppy disks, hardcopies, burned CD's and file sharing on a friend's computer.

It's not because you say I'm paranoid that THEY aren't out to get me.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
I always do print-out every ten pages or so, plus offsite backups as attachments on external servers, multiple computers, and burned CDs.

Once, on a bus, I lost two hours of my life watching the movie Duplex. It was painful for many reasons, but [SPOILER WARNING] worst among them was watching the laptop with the only copy of the MC's book on it get crunched. I spent five minutes sitting there, torn between the vicarious freak-out and wondering how big of an idiot he was for not printing the damned thing earlier.

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it can be a bummer when you look for something you wrote and can't find it. For me it isn't the time lost, it's the fact that if I've lost it, I can't enjoy reading it again.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Gnomes. Blame it on the gnomes. They're responsible for such things disappearing.

Gremlins, too, the little goits!

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

- posted      Profile for PE_Sharp   Email PE_Sharp         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure I lost the first half, to two-thirds of my first novel, and am still torured by the fact.

3000 words, forgive me while I snicker.

PE Sharp.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Do Gnomes steal other things, too, HSO? Because my DVDs of the third season of "Rurouni Kenshin" AND my "Serial Experiments: Lain" DVDs recently disappeared. If it was those stupid gnomes, I'm going to punt them so hard.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Gnomes are solely responsible for those disappearances.

Wear steel-toes... Gnomes have notoriously bony bottoms.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.