Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Thesaraus, my best friend

Author Topic: Thesaraus, my best friend
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
ANyone have any suggestions on a good writer friendly thesaraus? Probably not unlike many of you, the thesaraus is a GREAT friend, rivaled only by a really BIG dictionary.

I do not believe a writer should limit himself, or herself, and should atke advantage of such tools when encountered with a situation in which they must...find the right word, if you will.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I use http://thesaurus.com whenever I need a thesaurus. (I also use http://dictionary.com a lot.)
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do your writing away from the Internet, Roget's International is probably the standard desk reference. I prefer it to any other I've used. Unless you're writing the kind of fiction that relies on 20th (or future sci-fi) vocabulary, you can pick up an older edition at a used bookstore and not be missing anything.

For more fun, you can read authors like Edgar Allen Poe, Jack Vance, and Gene Wolfe, who have a Chaucer-like talent for making up words, or modifying old words and putting them to new and interesting uses.

I love English most for that reason; it's just so gosh-darned plastic. If you absolutely can't find the perfect word, you make one up and let context fill in the definition.

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited February 19, 2004).]

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Roget's. I also have a Sisson's Word and Expression Locator, which should only be gotten in addition to Roget's. Generally, I've found it relatively unhelpful. Maybe that's too harsh. It does, after all, do what it says it's meant to do in its "How to Use This Book" segment, which is to be "an index to an unabridged dictionary and to other sources of the more obscure and unusual words and phrases...."

For instance, for 'handbook,' Roget's lists "document giving instruction, information; bible; compendium; directory; enchiridion; encyclopedia; fundamentals; guide; guidebook; instruction book; manual; text; textbook; vade mecum."

Sisson's lists "Baedeker, enchiridion, manual, promptuary, vade mecum."

If you're in the market for big, obscure words -- He took out his employee promptuary for a listing of paid holidays. -- Sisson's is the book. For most writing, though, it's a bit pleonastic.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 19, 2004).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - I *am* in the market for big words (I'm on Jack Vance kick at the moment). Thanks for the head's up.

...aaaaaand, guess who just found a copy for $1.00 (um, but for like $4.00 in shipping, dang it)?

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited February 19, 2004).]

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Rogets, but personally I use dictionary.com. It's quick and convenient and VERY good.

Also, Word has one built in, but it's not very good. I use Wordperfect, it's is a lot better, and there is always a pop-up box next to the word that your cursor is on that has suggested alternates.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.