Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Extremely Touchy Sensitive Historical Novel Issue (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Extremely Touchy Sensitive Historical Novel Issue
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor's explanation certainly makes sense. And it sounds completely and utterly plausible, too. The Old West isn't a "period" I've done much research in (other than watching westerns and the occasional book). So I have to defer here.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, you're reading my mind. I was thinking of the cousin having a close personal relationship with one or more fallen women. Need more research as to place, but certainly during the time women might have one business--run a boardinghouse, lace making, etc.--and do prostitution on the side.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
A boarding house...like for children? Or like for travellers? That will have an impact on their 'activities' and who knows about them.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
She couldn't run a boardinghouse. No respectable person would ever stay at a boardinghouse run by even a rumoured prostitute. If the boardinghouse is run by a prostitute, it would be considered a brothel. She might have done piecework, but it wouldn't be very well paid, since she'd have to sell through several middlemen and the retail wouldn't be high-end.

You've got to understand, the midwest prior to the Civil War did not approve of prostitution. Visiting a prostitute was a shameful act, on par with how we currently view necrophilia. And the prostitutes themselves were the walking dead. Any respectable family would prefer a daughter's death (not an uncommon hazard in those days) to her loss of virtue. If the family couldn't prevent her from becoming a prostitute, they'd simply disown her. Even if you lived someplace like New Orleans (which is not the Midwest), it would be a dark sort of "respectability". Even there, a prostitute was a prostitute, not a shopkeeper.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

As I said...lotta details to work out...mulling over how things should go.

Reminds me of a discussion on another forum regarding the topic of how female honor was treated back then: http://tinyurl.com/ozamh

[This message has been edited by CoriSCapnSkip (edited September 01, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Second Assistant (edited September 03, 2006).]

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If she ran a boardinghouse, the relationship might too closely resemble the relationship between Marshal Dillon and Miss Kitty in "Gunsmoke."
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Gunsmoke is set in the post-Civil War West, not the antebellum Midwest.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Would it help if the cousin was a Unitarian?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I said "resembled." Besides, Miss Kitty ran a saloon...
Survivor
Member # 213

My point was only that the culture of "Gunsmoke" where such an arrangement was possible (if still unlikely) is still a major historical upheaval and hundreds of miles removed from the setting CSCS is working in.

Which cousin are we talking about? And how did this cousin become a Unitarian?

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

The cousin who knows the women of questionable virtue is a Unitarian. Not sure at what point he converts or why--as far as I've gotten, I have learned that there was a big Unitarian movement in the area, and gathered that they were rather liberal. Just *how* liberal, I wonder? Did they have a bad rep for being morally sort of anything goes?
Survivor
Member # 213

What area are we talking about? Unitarianism was largely confined to the university-educated in New England before the Civil War. And their "liberalism" was mainly of the "progressive humanist" strain. They weren't especially noted for being a "free love" movement or anything (those did exist, but were also largely confined to New England in that time).

To the extent that Unitarianism began to distinguish itself from identifiably Christian beliefs, they gained an increasingly "bad rep" on morality. But it would be inaccurate to say that they regarded sexual immorality as being acceptable. Associating with persons of low social standing for any other purpose than "uplift" would be out of character for the Unitarians of that period. They would probably be more uptight about "social" morality and class distinctions than members of most other denominations. At that time, Unitarianism was still very close to its roots as an "intellectual" religion (not that it is no longer an "intellectual" religion, but in that era the concept didn't embrace association with prostitutes).

I'm just curious about how this cousin would have become one. And having become one, what he was doing making friends with a prostitute living in the Midwest?

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

There's been a Unitarian Church in Chicago since 1836: http://www.firstuchicago.org/rusterholz.html

He may have joined it through being anti-slavery, or having fallen out with conventional religion for various reasons.

Survivor
Member # 213

Pretty much everyone in Chicago was anti-slavery, unless you mean "abolitionist", in which case Unitarians definitely weren't. Generally those who simply "fell out" of conventional religion became freethinkers, not Unitarians.
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
You asked for examples. I think Asimov (a _Foundation_ story, I think?) wrote a story in which the MC tried to sneak a woman past a security checkpoint by saying she wasn't his wife, wink wink nudge nudge; afterwards the guards talked about how reprehensible adultery is, and how they would have held him there longer if they hadn't already had orders to let him through.

Anyone with an agenda will be able to provide "evidence" that any time period was full of, say, promiscuous transvestite pedophiles. Ignore them. The time period you're writing about was probably much more sexually restrained than we are now.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

So that's what I should say (and, hopefully, be able to provide sources to show) if anyone asks.
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
More or less. Have a little evidence handy, if possible. But even anecdotal information is sufficient in some cases: as someone pointed out, as "The Wicker Man" is being remade the virginal MC is no longer considered plausible -- but that fact alone shows a distinct shift in public sexual attitudes since _1973_, the year that the original was put out. Certainly the case can be made that the era you're writing about is closer to 1973 than to 2006 with respect to public attitudes?

It occurs to me that if you need more evidence, maybe you could do some research on crime at that time, to see what types of sexual offenses were prosecuted, and how heinous they were seen at the time. Some things that get alluded to on prime time TV today were criminal not that long ago.

Having said that, vigilante justice may have made criminal prosecution unlikely if someone defiled a man's sister/daughter/niece/whatever.

I don't know the era well enough to say; but some criminal investigation might turn up some good information on attitudes.

(This might be the longest it has ever taken me to say, "I don't know what the heck I'm talking about." )

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited September 05, 2006).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Yeah, I remember reading about some scientific-minded young man who would shave his beard and then weigh the shavings. He found he produced much more beard just before his scheduled meetings with his girlfriend due to thinking about their get-togethers making his testosterone levels rise. When this was printed, it was said the man couldn't be identified as he was unmarried--not married, and cheating (although maybe that was the real case and they said he was unmarried to further obscure matters)--but unmarried, and it would cause a big scandal. And this was in, like, 1970! Nowadays people would be COMPLETELY open about it!
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how the methodology for such a study could possibly be sound. Unless he shaved with tweezers.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the virginal MC is no longer considered plausible

I don't understand why a virginal MC isn't considered plausible. If I'm not mistaken, 100% of all men who have had sex were virgins at one point in their lives?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Yes. I guess my point was this is one hurdle as difficult and awkward to get over in fiction as in real life, and it's always hard to get real good reliable information as to what people *really* did, so no matter what you write someone will always "know better."
pooka
Member # 1738

The only way to avoid that is to never write about anything but your own life.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Okay, that would be a sure recipe for tedium. My main characters differ from me in certain respects.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I keep getting little tidbits of my own life wandering up while I'm writing and insisting on joining themselves to the lives of the character in whatever story I'm working on.

(Just a few pages ago in my current novel project, scenes set in a cemetary---I pan back a little in the picture and realize it's a rural cemetary where some of my relatives are buried, complete with duck pond in the middle. I'll probably rewrite some of the details in the end.)

pooka
Member # 1738

quote:
so no matter what you write someone will always "know better."

Actually, even writing about your own life you will get some people who think they know better. Maybe I'm nitpicking your phrase, but you only have control over what you write and not how people react to it.

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Yes, I must just concentrate on doing my best as I see it and accept it, and not listen to all the Monday morning coaches and quarterbacks.
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

It's come to my attention that the state in which my MC resides had an anti-fornication law for years. I believe it is still on the books but is not enforced. It would be interesting to know when it became law, and whether it was common knowledge long ago that it was against the law. Doing something immoral is one thing, but immoral AND illegal is another! I wonder if the law was ever enforced.
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, if a law gets passed against something, it tends to be because people are already doing it, and other people think they shouldn't.

In Renaissance Florence, for example, homosexuality was sufficiently rife that laws were passed against sodomy in 1415.

And again in 1418.

And then in 1432, 1494, and 1542. Clearly people weren't paying attention. At one stage, Florence even had state-run, subsidised brothels, with the explicit purpose of trying to ensure that young men turned their minds to heterosexuality.

I know that isn't hugely relevant. But it is interesting.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Gah! French people. Oh, by the way, France also persecutes many of my favorite anime characters

Fornication used to be against the law in nearly all of the contiguous states. I didn't know it was possible to not know that. It's kinda like not knowing that abortion used to be against the law in a lot of states. And soliciting prostitution is still against the law most places. Those laws weren't very well enforced, because that would require the police to do things that would be considered immoral, like pretending to be prostitutes or perhaps observing the act of fornication

Really, think about that for a moment. Illegitimacy and abortion both used to be ranked as social ills on par with incidental (second degree) murder. Yet the morality of the time was strict enough that the police wouldn't even have considered having officers dress up as women (and no, they didn't have female officers back then) or spy on the act of fornication. An individual policeman might do either (or both), of course, but not because it was his job. He'd be fired on the spot if he were caught.

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Yeah, I knew there was some such law somewhere sometime, but not exact details of where and when. From what I've been able to pick up online, though, it was against the law in that state well before the time concerned and still is, at least on paper, now.
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Florence is in Italy. The solution of a state sponsored brothel should have tipped you off to that.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Okay, France and Italy are BOTH pretty strange countries! Thank goodness I am NOT writing about someone from there as it's confusing enough writing about Americans! From what little I've been able to glean, they were/are both pretty Catholic countries. Catholics have an advantage, if it can be called that, over Protestants in that their religion is so EXTREMELY elaborate as to be confusing to lay people, so it is left to religious people and the lay people don't have to, and often don't, bother with a lot of stuff. What's more, although they have rules as much or more strict than Protestants about what not to do, Catholics go to regular confession so if they happen to do something wrong, they just dump it off on the priest, do some penance, and forget it. They are not stuck with this load of guilt like Protestants and if they do have some, French and Italians have probably contrived some way to sort of enjoy guilt. Not saying I'd never write about a Catholic but my main character is not one.

Protestantism in America took a more extreme form where, even now, streaks of Puritanism keep emerging--that is, heavy and presumably non-enjoyable guilt. Many Americans from different religious traditions can't unburden/share/brag about their sins as someone in their circle is sure to condemn them. It's a matter of pondering for me, and I'm sure an issue for my main character, how much of appearance of abstinence was real, true abstinence, and how much was the moral code to not "kiss and tell"--that a gentleman should always protect a lady's reputation, and it was not class to talk about certain things no matter what went on. Remember that Paul wrote it was also important to have the appearance of doing right, which to a lot of people has to be more important than actually doing right.

On the one hand, my main character KNOWS he would DIE if he crossed certain lines and certain members of his family found out. That's obviously not *all* that's preventing him, as if it was just family pressure he'd simply move. I think he's struggling with basic issues, like what he really believes is right or wrong vs. just what he's always been told, and hypocrisy. He doesn't want to make a bad mistake and do something really wrong, but on the other hand he doesn't want to miss out on something he *should* do, to "grow up" or whatever, and would be a wimp if he didn't. He's also not a particularly indecisive person--he is fairly deep-thinking, with a tendency to brood, but takes quick and direct action--and I don't want readers forming the impression he's indecisive AND a wimp! That's why this is such a big problem to write!

Survivor
Member # 213

Catholics can enjoy their feelings of "guilt" because the Catholic Church is primarily a secular authoritarian power. The vast majority of Catholics, throughout history and today, didn't actually choose to be Catholics. Protestants, particularly living in America, are quite different. All the original Protestants chose their religion, often at great personal cost. And religious freedom has always been common in America, even before it became encoded into law. One key factor about Protestants is that most congregations choose their own ministers.

So Catholics see "sin" as "something some guy in a funny hat says is wrong", while Protestants see "sin" as "something that I prayerfully considered and feel to be wrong."

Which relates to your story only in the sense that fornication was against the law because most people personally believed that it was wrong, rather than because some guy in a funny hat said it was wrong. Whether or not they actually abstained...I've observed that many humans have difficulty believing something to be really wrong if they do it themselves. I'd guess that even if it were usual for young men to have had an extra-marital affair, it would generally be remembered with genuine regret and very few would take it up as a life-style.

Sorry about mistaking Florence for France...I guess that the French and Florentines can now complain that I'm persecuting them. Maybe I'll nuke Florence when I'm done with Paris....

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Wow. WOW! This is SHOCKING! Just when I was beginning to feel a little better. This http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061220/ap_on_re_us/premarital_sex says over 9 out of 10! Of course, this is in America, in the present day, not in other countries where if you step out of line they cut something off! Still! 90+% is just shocking considering the amount of people in America professing to be religious!

By the way, in the case of my main character, I consider religion to be a factor, but not the only factor at work.

Survivor
Member # 213

How many people do you know that have never lied, stolen, and dishonored their parents?
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

It depends on what you consider a major sin and what just "happens."
Elan
Member # 2442

quote:
just shocking considering the amount of people in America professing to be religious

Keep in mind not all religious denominations consider pre-marital sex to be a "sin." By the way, the Greek word hamartia that was translated into the New Testament as "sin" is a term that means "missed the mark," not "you are going to burn in hell."

Author Elaine Pagels explores this concept in her book Adam, Eve, and the Serpent."

Publisher's Weekly had this to say about Pagel's book:
The disgust felt by early Christians for the flesh was a radical departure from both pagan and Jewish sexual attitudes. In fact, as Princeton professor Pagels (The Gnostic Gospels) demonstrates, the ascetic movement in Christianity met with great resistance in the first four centuries A.D. Sex became fully tainted, inextricably linked to sin under the teachings of Augustine. This troubled sinner invoked Adam and Eve to justify his idiosyncratic view of humanity as permanently scarred by the Fall. Instead of being dismissed as marginal, Augustine's grim outlook took hold, according to Pagels, because it was politically expedient. Now that Christianity had become the imperial religion, Rome wanted its imperfect subjects to obey a strong Christian state. This highly provocative history links the religious roots of Western sexual attitudes to women's inferior status through the centuries.

The horrified attitude of puritan cultures regarding sex is considered perverse, if not perverted, by other cultures who accept it as a natural and enjoyable bodily function.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited December 23, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, considering that the whole point of Christianity is that nobody but Christ is perfect, and that's why we need His help to attain heaven, it is hardly surprising that everybody sins.

Christians probably should be horrified by the way that other cultures claim that if everyone does something, that means it's okay. But generally, being human, they're subject to the same kind of fallacious reasoning employed by pagans on this topic.

I'm not sure that I've ever met or read any serious Christian thinker who was horrified by sex per se. Marriage is a Christian sacrament, after all, and enjoyment of intimate sexual relations within marriage is a commandment reiterated multiple times in the scriptures and occasionally discussed from the pulpit where you have a widespread problem of husbands and wives who aren't having sex anymore. Anyone that characterizes the Christian attitude towards sex as "horrified" has either made no real effort to look at Christian society and thought or has an axe to grind.

Most Christians probably have experienced sex outside of marriage, and those who report this honestly generally also admit that it caused them lasting grief, sorrow, regret, and was generally not won them a lot of self-respect. A lot of non-Christians refuse to admit that sex outside of marriage caused them to suffer, but a look at how screwed up their personal lives usually are kind of tells you all you need to know.

In pragmatic terms, I'll take the Christian position any day. Sex inside of marriage is healthy, sex outside of marriage isn't. And I'll leave it at that.

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

quote:
A lot of non-Christians refuse to admit that sex outside of marriage caused them to suffer, but a look at how screwed up their personal lives usually are kind of tells you all you need to know.

That's EXACTLY the problem I'm having with my main character, or ANYONE about whom I'd choose to write, because caring that much about a character generally means I have to respect them. "A word to the wise is sufficient." My MC is very competitive and adventurous, which would cause conflict, but really, ya know--I mean, how do I show he isn't a coward but emphasize "he ain't stupid"?

611lady73
Member # 4581

- posted      Profile for 611lady73   Email 611lady73         Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently been looking at the issue of repression. Arthur Clennam in Little Dorrit is a good example. Many of my main characters have little problem holding off on intimacy until marriage. Of course, many of them do have a religious background. Maybe, to some degree this is the difference. Of course, with Arthur Clennam, I have reason to believe that he didn't really know what sex was, having been raised in a very strict house where any pleasurable activity was prohibited. Of course, Little Dorrit herself was repressed as well, bearing the appearance of a child while yet a woman and maybe with her half-starved situation in her early years, did not have her reproductive cycles until later in life. And, then again, this is my opinion of the matter.
lois

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Repression is one thing. My character is rather rebellious in spirit, but not criminally stupid. I'm trying to portray a character who is extremely conflicted but NOT weak or indecisive without appearing inconsistent or contradictory. I just stuck on this one subject as being one of the hardest to resolve.
Survivor
Member # 213

The entire pop-psych notion of repression is BS anyway. Think of it as it applies to homocide. Have you ever "repressed" an impulse to do something potentially homocidal, like ramming another car on the freeway? Do you support laws against casual homocide? Do you tell your kids it's wrong to threaten to kill their siblings all the time?

And yet the homocidal impulse is there, a fundamental part of human psychological make-up. Everybody feels like killing somebody now and then. Yet we are horrified at the idea of "repressing" other impulses because of how "damaging" that could be.

A little hint here, you don't absolutely have to outlaw all private homocide the way we do here in America. Many societies have functioned reasonably well despite allowing otherwise up-standing citizens the right to occasionally kill somebody. In fact, it could be argued that the consenting adults rule should make dueling legal, certainly I believe that our society would be far better off if dueling were reinstituted as a serious option. Do you think that celebrities would be half so obnoxious, or corperations even a tenth so rapacious? And imagine what it would do for the level of discourse in politics!

Okay, so maybe repression really is unhealthy. I got me a new fighting knife and a ceremonial dagger for Christmas too....

Elan
Member # 2442

quote:
Everybody feels like killing somebody now and then.

I can honestly say that I've never felt a desire to kill someone.

611lady73
Member # 4581

- posted      Profile for 611lady73   Email 611lady73         Edit/Delete Post 
Then perhaps we do not know all what was going on with these characters in Little Dorrit. I think the desires were there- they were so hidden by having to obey the strict morality of the time or of their parents that the reader doesn't immediately see them. It is only when the parents are dead and the characters are free to live their own lives that these hidden desires become evident and the characters feel free to express themselves.
lois

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:

Talk about unbelievable characters in stories...

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Don't get me started down that road. At least my main character doesn't LIKE killing. Decent human beings are not supposed to. But "winners" are supposed to like sex. Not that he doesn't like that, either. It's just...decisions, decisions.
Survivor
Member # 213

quote:

Talk about repressed.

Anyway, who says that winners are supposed to like "sex". What particular acts, and under what circumstances, can we include in this rather broad statement. Does that mean that winners are supposed to like, say, having sex with animals? How about dead bodies? How about children? How about dead, immature, animals?

As I was just saying, the prohibition of certain sex acts doesn't imply any general prohibition against enjoying sexual activities within the bounds of "common" decency. At the time in which you are setting the story, "common" decency would imply within marriage to a respectable woman. There would be nothing wrong with enjoying sex in that context, though you would still be expected to keep your mouth shut about it (back then they had this rule about kissing and telling, even when the woman in question wasn't exactly respectable, nobody in his right mind would encourage other men to think such things about his wife or the woman he intended to marry).

I actually support this level of circumspection. I don't want my wife's friends thinking about what I do in private, and if she feels differently then she should feel comfortable speaking for herself. Note that I would still be uncomfortable with that.

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

I know, it's a very difficult subject as even nowadays when anything goes and people are very open about almost everything, certain people still won't talk about certain things. Yet even back long ago, when practically nobody talked about hardly anything, stuff went on. I think this may be part of what worries me--just imagining living in a society where you would wonder about something all the time, but not be able to talk or get information about it, except through rather risky experiments--then how would you know you were doing it right anyway, with no comparison? Even a very cool person had to experience difficulty with this. Perhaps more than an uncool person, who wouldn't be expecting to get any anyway.
Survivor
Member # 213

You are...you just do not get it.

Sexual intercourse is not that difficult, there aren't a lot of special things that you need to know. Yes, in an age where most sexual partners have only the most superficial feelings for each other, we make much of techniques that enhance stimulation of erogenous zones. But the secret to making sex a joy has always been to feel like you really, really want to make babies with your sex partner.

This much should be obvious. How it is possible for anyone to not know this is a sad, long story, and it isn't the point of the current discussion. But think about it without all your modern prejudices. For several billion years, organisms which were really bad at choosing good mates either didn't pass on their genes at all or passed them on to basically defective off-spring. Sexual attraction is the mechanism by which humans choose their mates, partners in reproduction. Sexual pleasure is the biological reward for choosing a sexual partner whom you instinctively feel will make a wonderful parent for your children. This biological reward can be tricked to some extent, just like you can fool your tongue with imitation sweetners and so forth, but it really does respond best to the stimulus for which generations of natural selection have best suited it, a sexual partner who seems like excellent parent material.

Now, exactly what an individual will deeply believe to be an excellent parent is highly personal and significantlly affected by culture and upbringing. There are some biological constraints. Men will always want women to have noticible hips and breasts. They will also always find women near the beginning of their child-bearing years more sexually attractive than women past menopause. These features obviously dramatically impact a woman's ability to bear and nurse a healthy infant in the first place, and the millions of years of selection working in that direction aren't going to be undone overnight even if medical science makes it irrelevant tomorrow.

But mental and social characteristics are just as important once it comes time to start raising and protecting the children. The exact social characteristics that will provide the best for a child vary from culture to culture and even within a given culture depending on things like social class and level of wealth. And the idea of what is "best" for children varies too. But a sexual partner chosen with an unconscious assessment of being a great potential parent will reward the instinctive drives of any organism at a very fundamental level. In other words, the sex will always feel wonderful. Unfortunately, we all have days when having children with a particular partner doesn't seem like a wonderful idea. That feeling makes sex considerably less enjoyable if you're relying on your instincts.

My point is that a society where sex and child-bearing are fundamentally assumed to be connected at every level isn't unheathy or repressed in any meaningful way when it comes to sexual expression. And almost all organisms instinctively "know" everything they need to know about how to enjoy reproductive sex. You just have to find someone you'd like to reproduce with.

Your personal hang-up on "cool" and "uncool" is getting tiresome, also. Let it go. It isn't helping you get laid, and it isn't helping you to write either. More to the point, in a society where a woman's chastity was genuinely believed to be of significant value, men who ever settled for cheap sex simply weren't "cool". Yes, it was easy enough to find women who could be had for a few minutes of fun. It has never been difficult, really. But I think even today it isn't really considered "cool" to simply buy or extort sexual acts outright.

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

I almost didn't post this, but if you want to write good characters, you have to understand their mindsets as well as possible, even if they're antithetical to yours. What follows might be seen as polemic, but I think it's useful even if you ignore that aspect of it.

Survivor said:

quote:
More to the point, in a society where a woman's chastity was genuinely believed to be of significant value, men who ever settled for cheap sex simply weren't "cool".
THANK YOU. Not just women, either.

Calling a promiscuous female a "slut" is still an insult, and men who focus on maximizing the number of sexual partners they have still aren't considered "cool".

Earlier, CoriSCapnSkip said:

quote:
The story could be a lot about the nature of temptation, I guess the big question being: why do some people give in to it, KNOWING the risks? ... It's been well-documented that they do.
Some of the most successful anti-AIDS programs in Africa are abstinence-based. Even if _some_ people give in to temptation, many people will not. But you have to believe that not giving in is an option. One of the objections to condom-based AIDS prevention programs is that they seem to imply that "you're just going to give into it anyway, so you may as well give in safely."

The Sexual Revolution got its name because people overthrew the social order with respect to sex. If you want to talk to people who lived through those "repressed" times, you don't have to go back much more than 50 or 60 years. Did they feel repressed? Not from what I've heard. Did men think about women all the time, and vice versa? No doubt. But did they think about sex with them all the time? Not from what I've heard.

This might help you get in the right mindset: "it" means "drug use" in the following paragraph.

In the right place and time, it's a godsend. In the wrong contexts, it can be disastrous. The person who obsesses over it in the wrong context is dangerous to himself and to society; the person who engages in it inappropriately is (or should be) a criminal. Sometimes people consider these ideas about it outmoded, and people who _don't_ engage in it were seen as square or repressed, but we recognize now the dangers those people faced, and wise people choose not to abuse it.

Now back up and have "it" mean "sex", and you'll get the sense of people before the Sexual Revolution -- and of a growing number of people now.

To be clear: sex itself wasn't bad (that idea's actually a heresy in the Catholic Church), as shown by the fact that people often had larger families then, but it had its place.

Survivor's discourse on sex and family, and how those things relate, was spot on.

Sex becomes dysfunctional when disconnected from childrearing. This took me a long time to understand, but I think it's true. My attitudes were much different when I was younger, on premarital sex, contraception, "open" marriage, and gay marriage. (I even called it "marriage" instead of "civil union".) But I discovered that I was wrong. And these things aren't bad because the Pope says so; the Pope says they're bad because they are.

The point is, I don't dislike sex (I have six children and a seventh on the way), but I think it has its place, and that's in a marriage that's open to having children.

A century ago, the majority of the population thought this way: Protestant, Catholic, Jew, Muslim, American, European... There were some circles that did not, but the vast majority of the population did.

_You_ don't need to think that way; but until you understand that people did, I don't think you'll understand why "sex=cool and liberated / no-sex=uncool and repressed" equations don't work. You'll continue to project your own biases onto the time you're writing about.

Which doesn't mean it won't sell -- Lord knows we've seen some travesties of historical misunderstanding out there -- but it won't be right.

-----

Setting all that aside, most things said about Catholic attitudes and positions in this thread so far has been wrong. If you're trying to create a Catholic character, you can make them whatever you want; but I want to state for the record what the orthodox (lowercase "o") Catholic position is, so you know where you're deviating from it.

The worst statements were these:

quote:
Sex became fully tainted, inextricably linked to sin under the teachings of Augustine.
That was Publisher's Weekly in their review of Elaine Pagels. Either they're misreporting what she meant, or she's wrong. She's been wrong about a lot, so I'm willing to give PW the benefit of the doubt.

The Gnostics and Manichees (and their variants) believed that the world was created by the Bad God of the Old Testament, and that everything made of matter was inherently evil; sex, being linked to procreation, was also evil. Only the Christ of the New Testament was good, and wholly spiritual; his body was an illusion.

Gnosticism and Manicheism were heresies. Augustine fought specifically against them. He certainly also fights against lust and intemperence, and when he argues against someone he often makes his case so strongly in one direction that you have to review more than one book to see what his real opinion is, but to say that "sex was inextricably linked to sin" is just false.

Here are Augustine's own word on the subject, from Of the Good of Marriage (found here):

quote:
Marriages have this good also, that carnal or youthful incontinence, although it be faulty, is brought unto an honest use in the begetting of children, in order that out of the evil of lust the marriage union may bring to pass some good. Next, in that the lust of the flesh is repressed, and rages in a way more modestly, being tempered by parental affection. For there is interposed a certain gravity of glowing pleasure, when in that wherein husband and wife cleave to one another, they have in mind that they be father and mother.

There is this further, that in that very debt which married persons pay one to another, even if they demand it with somewhat too great intemperance and incontinence, yet they owe faith alike one to another. Unto which faith the Apostle allows so great right, as to call it "power," saying, "The woman has not power of her own body, but the man; again in like manner also the man has not power of his own body, but the woman."

He also points out that "be fruitful and multiply" implies that we would have had sex even if Adam and Eve had never fallen.

Now remember that this is a theologian's position, not a Church dogma; but he's such a well-known theologian and this is such a common topic that you would hope Pagels would know better.

Elan's point -- that some religions don't see extramarital sex as benign or even worthy of celebration -- still stands, but don't take Pagel's word for what Christianity is or does or has been.

CoriSCapnSkip said:

quote:
[Catholicism] is so EXTREMELY elaborate as to be confusing to lay people, so it is left to religious people and the lay people don't have to, and often don't, bother with a lot of stuff.
If "it" means determining what's right and wrong, or what's dogma and what's not, then this is basically false. People my parents' and grandparents' ages (60's and up) remember well the Baltimore Catechisms, which included versions that went from rudimentary for schoolchildren through highly sophisticated for adults. "But," you might say, "adults who wanted to go more deeply into religious thought and debate were discouraged." That's not entirely so, either: the "lay fraternities" of the Dominicans and others allowed lay people to, in essence, become religious people.

(There's also some irony in that post, in that Catholics are stereotypically known for their guilt, and Protestants tend not to be.)

Survivor said:

quote:
So Catholics see "sin" as "something some guy in a funny hat says is wrong",

See above. Sin is sin because it's wrong, and the guys in funny hats just point out that it's wrong. A more accurate distinction between Protestants and Catholics would be to say that Catholics believe that there are definitively wrong and right ways of interpreting the Scriptures and Traditional teachings, and they don't depend on who's reading them; while Protestants believe that their job is to understand Scripture. Among Protestants, the issue of who has final say over which interpretations are right or wrong either never comes up, is abdicated to historical authorities (e.g., Martin Luthur), or is not definitively resolvable.

Some of the historical perspective in Survivor's post was out of whack, too.

Why yes, I _am_ a blast at parties. How did you know?

Regards,
Oliver

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited December 28, 2006).]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.