Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Kook Letter Writing Campaign (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kook Letter Writing Campaign
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Kolona, I am sorry for changing my post. We must ahve been simul-posting and I got into strife once for that.

My first post was designed to be very emotive, and I regretted it immediately, so I changed it. I apologise if it threw you out. The change was not meant to undermine the value of anything you wrote. Again, I am sorry.

By the way I am glad that you called me out on that one.

Fox viewers value powerfully emotive language. If they didn't then Fox wouldn't use it. Fox is smarter than that.

TO support both Kolona and MattLust, here in Oz, the 'liberal media' are just as emotive as the conservative, they push all the 'Politically Correct' buttons they can in order to get the 'liberals'' blood up.

I have little time for either liberal or conservative emotive language.

Why I referred to Fox news specifically is because Survivor's idea would probably appeal to the same sort of target market as Fox appeals to and because of this 'instinct'says 'be emotive.'

However, in the first instance Survivor's letters to government departments etc are most likely to be read by some grey, emotion-disdaining, middle-management type who is probably a very different target market and who will find the emotion good reason to dismiss the letter.

The campaign must initially ride a fine line. That is also why I think Survivor needs a 'poster boy', someone with credibility/popularity/profile enough to make the letters so much harder to ignore.

Kolona, I know that we agree in the essentials, just thought it was funny that you should assume I was a rabid liberal. Things are genuinely different here.

(PS I have changed this post too, so I hope it doesn't wreck any subsequent posts.)

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 04, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

By the way 'Liberal' and 'Conservative' mean the same thing in Australia. My use of those terms are according to how I understand it to operate in the US.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 04, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That very kind explanation of what you're all talking about was not as helpful as it could have been.

Just to clarify something here, I'm not pulling out lists of "grey, emotion-disdaining, middle-management" types in government departments. I don't know how they do things in Australia, but around here we like to convince the electorate (or their representatives) that something is a good idea. That's why I'm primarily writing things to various citizen's/advocacy groups.

Eventually I'll have to produce something for public consumption, but I'd like to get a handle on how the various advocacy groups respond first, see if this has room on anyone's agenda.

I think that it's a lot less wacky than suggesting that we try to use SETI to hire alien mercenaries who'll work for the tasty flesh of our enemies, but I don't know. Perhaps I should try that proposal next...except that I don't think something like that could possibly be practical

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
That was good especially the tasty flesh of our enemies part.
Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Note: 'emotive' in above posts probably would be more accurately described as 'motivating'.

So you will have a two-phased strategy.

First: A well-aimed 'motivating' letter campaign designed to appeal to and gain support from the sort of people who constitute the community organisations you've mentioned and who would be stakeholders in the sort of enterprise you propose. This will take 'market' research. Or, more specifically, investing research time and resources into as formal and thorough research as you see as appropriate to the ambitions of the campaign.

In my opinion, the primary goal of the initial phase would to elicit referrals for 'profile-agents' to act on your behalf.

There are two ways of obtaining 'profile-agents'. The first (chronologically) would be to include some sort of 'response mechanism' into your letter. A website, a blog, a telephone number or something of that kind with a 'for more information contact ...' It is impersonal and gives them a sense of anonymity but allows you to gather some kind of contact details of people who are more promising contacts.

A 'members area and forum' where people have to leave at least some details (email address, how did you hear about this site, what groups are you affiliated with etc) to join would be good. Vow to assure them privacy and allow them to speak freely. Monitor it for undesirable kooks and fill the 'SWMBO' role yourself.

Second: Create a dialogue with some more active or opinonated respondees and promote a 'buddy' campaign to draw in more likeminded people. One way to do this would be to do a liberty hall style 'Master/ Journey Man' etc level thing. You could do this by getting them to say which 'member' invited them to join up and increase that members status as a reward or reward them for their participation.

The second kind of 'profile agent' -- leading to the second phase of your campaign -- are those with broader community profile. Small business owners and employers are good ones. (The only problem with them would be the niggling idea they may have that at some point they may lose employees to active duty. This is easy enough to counter but would take a carefully worded and thought through communication strategy.)

These 'secondary profile-agents' will be valuable when you start wanting to elicit support from local political figures (the second phase of your letter campaign). They will act as intermediaries between your phases - in touch with both target groups. Again, the level of 'profile' you want will depend on the ambition of the campaign AND what phase of the strategy you are at. It is possible too that they can feed you information about what public/political figures are sympathetic to the idea and likely to support/promote it.

Think of 'secondary profile agents' as strategically valuable high ground.

In all this, the worst thing you could do would be to start a campaign without substantial and motivating follow-up literature / resources. For instance a potential supporter begins to 'drill-down' into you web-resource and find a dozen pages 'under construction'. It is essential to realise that EVERY contact they have with you and your campaign WILL produce an effect. Their opinion of the value of the campaign will be a result of the sum total of experiences they have with it. Ensure that every thing the campaign touches reflects the values you wish to promote. In that way you extend your influence and the 'aura' of your ideas, in the minds of your target audience, to include everything they think is good without you having to know or ask for their opinions about it first. You appropriate their sense of good and right to promote your aims.

Just random thoughts but ones I thought worth mentioning.

Edit: PS: The third phase of your two-phase strategy is the whole SETI thing you suggest. Flesh eating aliens are powerful motivators and probably have a high level of credibilty.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 05, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

I think for now I'll just stick with writing letters.

The thing is, I believe that this idea has its own legs. And I don't want to sell people something based on my percieved credibility, manufactured by various phony documents and drills under a business model. I'd like people to simply recognize that this is a good idea.

That's probably too much to ask of humans, though.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Yep, okay.

I got the message about phony credentials.
I don't advocate it now. I suggested it back before I realised that this was a genuine project and not just some sort of literary mischief.

Believe it or not, I am trying to help. But I'll just slip out stage left now.

Survivor
Member # 213

How...sinister. Well, it won't keep me up at night.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Back in stage left.

quote:

It's been used sucessfully thousands of times in recorded history.

So what percentage success vs failure does that equate to?
Without that data (or a study of why failures occurred) the statement means almost nothing.

BTW: Good Ideas are a dime a dozen.

Edit: Exit dexter.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 06, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

It depends on your definition of "success". If you define success in terms of getting more troops than you would've had otherwise, thus increasing your chances of winning, then the track record is superlatively good. If you mean actually winning, then the success rate is no better than anything else that you do mainly because you're worried about actually losing.

i.e. Armies with enameled filgree on their weapons tend to win more than anyone else. That doesn't mean that filgree weapons actually help you win.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
No strife here, hoptoad, so no apologies necessary.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiousity, Survivor, are you doing this as a sort of social experiment or because you believe this kook idea has merit?
Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Well you used the word 'successfully'

How do you define it?

As you say:

quote:

If you mean actually winning, then the success rate is no better than anything else that you do mainly because you're worried about actually losing.

But is it worse?

1: If your proposal offers no improvement to the chance of winning compared to the the current model then why implement it?

2: If your proposal possibly decreases the chance of winning compared to the the current model then why do it?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 08, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 08, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

This is the problem with history, you can't go back and try a control experiment to see which things actually would make a difference.

By the way, you misquoted me. Just thought I'd mention that.

Look, I'm not here to debate the idea. I'm talking about how to run a certain type of literary campaign.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

misquote corrected

All campaigns have to give them a reason to listen.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 09, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, with the quote corrected, doesn't it sort of obviate the question you were asking?

I believe that anyone serious about strengthening the U.S. military is part of my natural audience. Does that count as a reason to listen?

Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, my most recent draft is up on the blog, if anyone wants to give advice on that. I think I'll hold off on putting up thirteen lines of it in F&F for now.
Survivor
Member # 213

And I'm still open to ideas on where I should be sending my kook letters, if anyone has any more ideas. I should have called this "Markets for my kook letters" or something
hoptoad
Member # 2145

It does not obviate the question at all.
Nor does it make obvious how the military will be strengthened. Rather, the suggestion make it seem like you are proposing a more ponderous, unruly force with a decentralised/competing command structure.

I say that because of the 'militia can back out half way through a campaign' aspect. Certainly the commander they have 'chosen' to serve under would not want that to occur so, to facilitate it, the militia would have to have a separate way to 'trump' the commander when the commander says, 'no, you can't go.'

Then of course the commander can say, 'well, we won't pay for you to get home.'

If both the militia and the regular forces are subject to a single, centralised co-ordinating body then the 'militia' really only have an illusion of choice. They will be 'locked-in' like everyone else.

As to markets for the letters. What about letters to editors of small unaffilliated newspapers?

You could get a really wide spread on the idea with little effort on your part and, with a follow-up letter to chosen organisations, the idea will not seem so new or ludicrous when they receive it. It would be a second exposure.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 09, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I suppose that I'll have to try something of that sort. If you've got suggestions for particular publications I should be targeting, bring 'em on.

As for the discussion of any particulars about how such a militia might work, I'm seriously leaving that whole thing on the blog I linked earlier. The specific questions you've asked (including the question of who pays for the ticket home if the militia decide to quit) are addressed (though not always answered definitively) there.

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
You can find all the Kooks your heart desires on Usenet: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Deploy+Militia&qt_s=Search

Lots of readers there, too!

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Are you one of them? Or rather, could you point out any of these topics that is actually about developing and deploying an American militia? Because that would sure be helpful.
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't point out a specific group, let alone a specific topic, but have found the best thing to do is make keyword searches, write down 3-5 of the most relevant-sounding groups, and then crosspost (meaning put the url of each group into the line where you address the post, with commas separating each group) to all of them, then LET THE FIREWORKS BEGIN!
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldous Huxley
Member # 3232

- posted      Profile for Aldous Huxley   Email Aldous Huxley         Edit/Delete Post 
I have enjoyed reading this thread very much. Which newspapers do you send the letters to the editors to? Why, the ones in towns of about 2500 people or so. These microcosms of american politics are powerful if you get enough of them convinced that your idea is a good one.

[This message has been edited by Aldous Huxley (edited February 11, 2006).]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

None of the groups that came up seemed even remotely relavent. Are you suggesting that I should simply be trolling or something like that?

As for towns of about 2500 people...I'm not sure what to say to that. Maybe later.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor said:
quote:

Just to clarify something here, I'm not pulling out lists of "grey, emotion-disdaining, middle-management" types in government departments. I don't know how they do things in Australia, but around here we like to convince the electorate (or their representatives) that something is a good idea. That's why I'm primarily writing things to various citizen's/advocacy groups.

Interesting. My understanding is that if you want legislation to be passed in the US, you'd do a far better job of getting lobbyists involved (which usually means finding some way in which your idea would be profitable for some major, usually corporate, interest). It may well be that there are electoral representatives who are particularly vulnerable to public outcry lobbying, but those surely tend to be more about locally relevant issues. In your instance, you appear to be propounding a scheme that has only a very indirect impact on most social groups in the US (particularly because, as you correctly note, there are no controlled experiments in history, and no-one can go "if we don't do thiis than x will happen/if we do this then y will happen" and be absolutely sure of their ground).

My exposure to militias is pretty much zero, and the whole concept is fairly hard for an outsider to grasp in the modern world, where the rule of law is generally regarded as paramount and where militias tend to be very much equated with vigilantes.

In what way is what you're suggesting significantly different from mercenary groups, who are still common in war zones (particularly in Africa) around the world?

[This message has been edited by tchernabyelo (edited February 14, 2006).]

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, first off, they wouldn't be considered mercenaries under international law (in case you're not aware of this, both hiring mercenaries and fighting as one are crimes under the existing laws of war--one reason it wouldn't be a good idea to try hiring aliens).

If you want more specifics, you'll have to go to my blog, I'm not here to expound my idea, only to get feedback on how to run a letter writing campaign.

The point about lobbyists is both apt and naive. Lobbyists do their job because they get paid. It really doesn't matter what the idea is (okay, it matters, but not in the way you seem to think), as long as someone is willing to back it financially. There are quite a few long running "public interest" lobbies, these run using a combination of private and corporate donations, as well as public monies in some cases (which is kind of a short circuit, if you think about it). These are the ones that would eventually be responding (or forming in response) to a popular push. Anyway, I'm not looking for information on how to get a lobbyist's attention, I already know the only way that actually works, and it doesn't serve my purposes here.

Closing the circle, if I'm going to be hiring mercenaries to get this legalized, why not just cut out the middleman and make it legal?

So, if you please, helpful suggestions on how to run a letter writing campaign. That's all I'm asking for here.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.