Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Challenge #8 - Starting Friday, May 20, 2005 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Flash Challenge #8 - Starting Friday, May 20, 2005
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll admit that it makes me a bit nervous, but I don't necessarily mind being made fun of.

Clarification: We NEVER make fun of an author's story or writing ability. The fun comes in from us teasing each other about other things. Writing and comments and crits we take very seriously. Everything else is fair game to be made fun of.

Nervousness is expected. It's not so bad once you get to know it.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! Thanks. I think I'll go ahead and try it out. This weekend happens to fall on my birthday, though, so I don't know if I'll have the time to devote to it this time. But I would like to at least see how it goes. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

Ok, forgive me... I just get such quick answers here.

Have a question about the formatting. As I've mentioned, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to computers. I can type, and that's about it.

But when I just reread the formatting guidelines, they said that .doc were among the preferred formats. I can send .rtf or .doc without too much trouble either way. Which do you guys prefer?

I personally prefer .doc or .rtf. I don't know why the trigger said no .doc files.
Or maybe Mike just forgot to add .doc. To be clear, though, I prefer .rtf or .txt becuase they translate better to the post without having to screw around with macros, etc.

Ok, I only have MS Word. I think. This puter I got has MS XP. As far as I know, all of my writing files are .doc. I wouldn't even know how to change it to .rtf if that's preferred. I know it said some people might not be able to read it.

Can someone sort-of translate all that into layman's terms? Obviously it said .doc is ok, just not preferred, but I would like any of my submissions to be readable without anyone having any big problems with it.

Nipponb
Member # 2601

- posted      Profile for Nipponb   Email Nipponb         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahavah,

When you are saving your work on of the options you can chose from is the format it is saved as. For Word .doc is the standard, but if you go to the save screen there is a pull down tab that will list different file extensions. The .rtf stands for rich text format, and has replaced the old .txt, text format. It is basicly a format that any word processing program can read.

If you already have something saved as a word file you can go to save as, and change the format. I hope it helps

Noel "Nipponb"

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

It does help! Thanks a bunch!
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you are running out of time, don't worry about converting the file. All of the moderators have the ability to read .doc files, which is all that really matters.

And, welcome! I look forward to seeing your flashes.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.