FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Women SF/fantasy authors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Women SF/fantasy authors
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I've mostly been reading books by guys lately. Haven't read many women authors lately -- the only ones I can think of being J. K. Rowling (book 7) and Nancy Farmer (The Sea of Trolls).

Some female authors I like = Ursula K. LeGuin, Lisa Mason, Susanna Clarke, Diana Gabaldon, Audrey Niffenegger.

A few I don't like = Connie Willis (too dry), Marion Zimmer Bradley (too angsty), Laurel Hamilton (too repetitive).

Any recommendations? [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Madeline l'Engle. Specifically, A Wrinkle in Time.

Jean M. Auel- Clan of the Cave Bear.

Kristen Britain- Green Rider and First Rider's Call.

Those are some of my favorites, anyway.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently reading a series by Carol Berg- Bridge of D'Arnath (first book Son of Avonar). I liked it enough to read the second one and would like to read the third.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot recommend Octavia Butler enough.

Seriously, if you haven't read her stuff, you need to do so right now.

I also really enjoy Lois McMaster Bujold.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Connie Willis is too dry? And Susanna Clarke isn't? Which Connie Willis did you read?
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Seconded!

I also think you should sign up for GoodReads, so you could see what a bunch of us are reading and get recommendations that way. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
What they said about Octavia Butler [Hail]

I’ve also read great stories by all of the following ladies:

Katherine MacLean
Vonda N. McIntyre
Nancy Kress
Zena Henderson
Elizabeth Moon
Margaret Weis
C J Cherryh
Anne McCaffrey

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Let's not forget Diane Duane, Barbara Hambly, and Jean Lorrah & Jacqueline Lichtenberg.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy Connie Willis' short stories, but I didn't enjoy her novels To Say Nothing of the Dog and Doomsday Book nearly as much.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit it took me forever to get into To Say Nothing of the Dog. Our first person narrator was so timelagged he was very hard to follow. I only persisted because it was so highly recommended by people whose judgment I trust. But once I got going, I found it to be incredibly funny. And then, years later, I discovered that there really was such a book as Three Men in a Boat, and it reads just like To Say Nothing of the Dog, and I felt like I had missed half the joke.

Have you read any of her shorter novels? What did you think of them? Say, Bellwether or Lincoln's Dreams? I got all weepy and goosebumpy just now trying to tell my baby sister about Lincoln's Dreams.

(and here I am rambling on and on without adding anyone new to the list)

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Has no one mentioned Robin Hobb yet? Her Farseer trilogy (starting with Assassin's Apprentice) is amongst my favourite fantasy books ever. She also writes as Megan Lindholm, though I've understood the Lindholm books are currently only in print in the U.K.

quote:
I enjoy Connie Willis' short stories, but I didn't enjoy her novels To Say Nothing of the Dog and Doomsday Book nearly as much.

My problem with Doomsday Book was how the future aspects of the book were set in somewhere like 2050 yet basically the whole future storyline relied on the problem of the main characters not being able to pass important information to one another because they can't get to a phone booth due to some pesky people spending ages talking to their relatives on the phone. OK, so the book was written in the early 90's but cell phones and the Internet did exist back then too, so just maybe Willis should have foreseen this not necessarily being a problem in the future...
Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Only things I've read by Barbara Hambly were those two Star Wars books, which I didn't enjoy at all, and haven't read since the first time I did.

On the flipside, I really enjoyed A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy.

Other than that, I haven't read much female written fantasy or sci-fi lately, though when I finish His Dark Materials, I'm going to start on The Dark is Rising, which is Susan Cooper. I'll let you know.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Tamora Pierce is a long-time favorite of mine. Fun YA fantasy series.

Mary Doria Russell is a more recent favorite. The Sparrow and its sequel, Children of God are just plain awesome.

I'll also jump on the Madeline l'Engle and Octavia Butler bandwagons.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one else did, I will second MPH's recommendation of Lois McMaster Bujold.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I also love Lois McMaster Bujold, Anne McCaffrey, Robin Hobb, Margaret Weis, Madeline L'Engle.

Goodreads. Huh. Hadn't heard of them before, and am just in the process of signing up. Who here is on it? ETA: And how do we find each other? I signed up as Laurie and I have a pic of myself wearing my elephant hat.

[ September 11, 2007, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Judith Tarr
Esther Friesner
Julian May
Anne McCaffrey
Lynn Abbey
Pamela Dean
Diane Duane
Ursula K. LeGuin
Robin McKinley
Karen Ripley
Mary Stewart

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Maureen McHugh is a must-read that hasn't yet been mentioned.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Lois McMaster Bujold

Emma Bull

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I also really enjoy Lois McMaster Bujold.

Double ditto to this!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars series is excellent.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Goodreads. Huh. Hadn't heard of them before, and am just in the process of signing up. Who here is on it? ETA: And how do we find each other? I signed up as Laurie and I have a pic of myself wearing my elephant hat.

Indeed you do. [Big Grin]

(Man, there are a LOT of Lauries on there!) I just sent you a friend-me-please invite. About half the people on my friends list are Hatrackers/sakeriverites.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, rivka!

Yeah, I figured there would be a lot of Laurie's, and I didn't think to add quidscribis since it said name, not username... I could change it... I might... But meanwhile, I used the elephant hat as a distinguishing feature to sort me out from the rest of the riffraff. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, the middle and last names were rather a give away as well. [Wink]

Edit: Well, they were. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Well, ya know... [Big Grin] I figured adding (quidscribis) would make me easier to find, ya know? Except for you, since it would seem that you remember my surnames... [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

Not remember. Recognize. [Wink]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Close enough. [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Since no one else did, I will second MPH's recommendation of Lois McMaster Bujold.

Agreed, and the same with Hobb as well.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Kage Baker is an author that I discovered a couple of weeks ago, and whose work I'm enjoying quite a bit. I've actually read some of her short fiction before, but I hadn't associated a name with her work.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Lotsa names! Thanks!

I knew I'd forget some folks I like... Jean Auel's first book, yep, still a fave... Madeleine L'Engle... Octavia Butler, though she's intense enough that I haven't been able to pick up the second Parable book yet... Jacqueline Lichtenberg -- I read her first Sime/Gen book and liked it a lot, but found the other ones after that too overly complicated, has she written stuff that's not Sime/Gen?

Connie Willis: I did try reading both The Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog... they just didn't grab me -- the SF part wasn't interesting -- the people didn't act any differently because they now had access to this amazing time travel technology, they were all dry and stuffy and pompous, and in a not-very-interesting way. Whereas in Susanna Clark's book, a lot of the fun came from how the 19th-century figures reacted to magic -- approving of it, disapproving of it, ignoring it, etc.

(That said, I do remember reading a Connie Willis short story -- "Even the Queen" -- that I found much more interesting than the books I tried.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Laurie, I think you're the only Sri Lankan I've seen on there, too. At first I was lost in the sea of Lauries, too, but then when I zeroed in on your profile, it wasn't hard to figure out it was you. [Smile] I wonder if there are many Tatianas. <goes to look>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
You probably haven't heard of her if you don't read The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, but Mary Rickert (M. Rickert) is awesome. After I'd finished her "The Girl Who Ate Butterflies" I was thinking that it was the most beautiful fantasy story I'd ever read.

She has a collection of short stories out called Map of Dreams.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Great female SF writer - Kay Kenyon. Tropic of Creation is one of my all-time fave SF novels. She has recently started a new fantasy series, I believe.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Here's a link for another thread about female scifi/fantasy authors.
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Jane Lindskold
Octavia Butler (It's not helpful for me to mention her... But I consider it obligatory)
LeGuin (You've already mentioned her)
Jane Lindskold
Pamela Dean
Elizabeth Moon
Jane Lindskold
Kate Elliot
Jane Lindskold
Anne McCaffery

And... Emma Bull (Jane Lindskold has recommended one of her books before.)

I've heard good things about Patricia McKillip, but I couldn't tell you about her firsthand. Diddo with Judith Tarr.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharine Kurtz
Katharine Kerr

(not the same person, I discovered, but both good)

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't read Octavia Butler, your life will never be complete.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Mercedes Lackey
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

I've never read anything by her. What would you recommend?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to derail this thread with a debate, but I want to offer a counter-recommendation to Christine's. Namely, don't read Mercedes Lackey.

Or if you do, then read it with a grain of salt. Or, a lot of grains of salt. A toxic amount of salt, even. Read it with so much salt that it would make a cop want to arrest you and send it off to a lab for testing.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
I don't want to derail this thread with a debate, but I want to offer a counter-recommendation to Christine's. Namely, don't read Mercedes Lackey.

Or if you do, then read it with a grain of salt. Or, a lot of grains of salt. A toxic amount of salt, even. Read it with so much salt that it would make a cop want to arrest you and send it off to a lab for testing.

Mercedes Lackey has two kinds of books: very good and very bad. The ones that I think are very good, I absolutely love. Most of her Valdemar books are good.

Her books set in the real world (both the past and the present of the real world) do not tend to be good.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
C.S. Friedman
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I have even more friends on goodreads now. Woohooo! And Fahim even signed up! Wooohooo!

Tatiana, there's two Sri Lankans on goodreads, now. And by Sri Lankans, I mean people who are residing in Sri Lanka, not those of Sri Lankan ancestry. Or something. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

I've never read anything by her. What would you recommend?
Kindred
The Xenogenesis trilogy (aka Lilith's Brood)
Everything else she wrote

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Tatiana, there's two Sri Lankans on goodreads, now.

Nope.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine Kathryn Rush

Everybody else has been mentioned, but I'll second Diane Duane.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Elaine Cunningham's Starlight & Shadows series, which I especially recommend if you're into Forgotten Realms novels.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Misha McBride:
C.S. Friedman

I really liked the Coldfire Trilogy Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, and Crown of Shadows but the next two books of hers I read I didn't like much, so I gave up.

C. J. Cherryh's Cyteen was great, and I hear there's a sequel coming out (which I think is needed).

I also love Lois McMaster Bujold - everything I've read by her so far has been wonderful.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Tatiana, there's two Sri Lankans on goodreads, now.

Nope.
Okay, so I should have said, "At least two..." [Razz]

Knowing Fahim, he'll know at least half of them...

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I really, really liked the Coldfire series as well. Excellent books!

Kurtzs' Camber series was wonderful as well. I just saw she just came out with a new book, actually....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
whomever wrote the who want to be a wizard series.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.