FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why do people listen to the same music forever? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why do people listen to the same music forever?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't abide classic rock. I loved it in its time, and I can see why young people who haven't heard it ten-gazillion times already like it too. But it's soooooooooo overplayed. Even the really good stuff from back then, they picked 50 good songs from and play those. They never branch out into the less well known stuff.

I think my brain has a certain number of listens it can take on any particular piece of music. Something like Beethoven's Ninth has a huge number of listens, probably 1000 or more, while some fluffy pop something-or-other has maybe only 2. Possibly none. Depending. [Smile] Most music is somewhere in between. Really good music has something like 200 - 600 listens in it.

A lot of that classic rock stuff was great in its time. It might have even been up in the rare over-500-listens category. So I perfectly understand why young people like it. I guess I just used up my listens for that stuff a long long time ago. When you get into twice-the-rated-listens territory, your brain starts doing reject maneuvers sort of like the way your stomach reacts when you put something into it that's long past its expiration date, you know? In the past I've been known to bolt from stores due to the quality of their elevator music. Now I simply pop in my trusty mp3 player which I keep with me at all times and crank up some soothing Tool, Nine Inch Nails, or Radiohead (for now).

Am I the only one like this? It seems to me from observation that the vast majority of humans listen to the same music they liked in high school and college for the rest of their lives. My Dad played hundreds of gigs for the people now in their 80s who grew up during WW2 to dance to Glenn Miller. People who were young in the 50s want Motown from now on, etc. Almost everyone seems to want those same few songs they loved as a teen and young adult. Over and over. And over. And over again. What's up with that?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of people become attached to music they heard in junior high/high school just because they have memories. I mean, even if you had a crappy time in high school, I think it's natural to look back on the music that connected with you back then and to be attracted to it still.

I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio until I turned 15. I had to go back and listen to a whole lot of songs for the first time after that...songs that my peers listen to the first time around. It's kind of weird, I guess, but it means that pretty much all music is new to me...so I don't really have a particular time period that I'm attached to.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I looooooove classic rock. THey really knew how to write songs back then.
Especially stuff like Comfortably Numb. But I'd get stoned in an unfun way if I admited that I HATE Hotel California, Sweet Home Alabama, that You' Aint' Seen Nothing Yet song, and various Billy Joel songs that EVERYONE likes but me.

There are songs I can listen to over and over again and never get tired of such as the Fog by Kate Bush which I heard for the first time a few months ago. Or Home by Zero 7. I can't say I am attached to one particular time, but it's delightful to hear songs I like from when I was a kid, and painful to hear others.
I just got into Nightwish now and Amaran.

Also, Tatiana, you might like Dir en grey if you love NIN and Tool because you just can't go wrong with them, but they have the syndrome just a bit and Dir en grey shocks me by not having it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

pH, I have lots of good memories from hs and college that are connected with music that now strikes me as old-hat. So I think it must be something different about me. I would be interested in hearing from other musicians, how it works for them. Because I know a lot of musicians who range freely over all time periods in their listening, which is sort of how I do except I avoid most stuff from the 60s, 70s, and 80s as much as possible, and to a lesser extent the 90s. I wonder if you, Pearce, will continue to listen to music from almost all time periods as time goes by, as I do.

Syn, I agree with you about Hotel California, Sweet Home Alabama, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, and Billy Joel. Just typing the titles is giving me the heebeejeebies. [Angst] I will have to check out Dir en grey. I am always looking for new bands I like. I do fall in love with certain songs and listen to them over and over, and it would seem that I am never going to tire of them. Lateralus is like that, the whole cd. I can't seem to get tired of it no matter how many times I play it. But still, a decade or two later I've usually moved on. If I'm still playing Lateralus in 2017 something is wrong.

[ September 02, 2007, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Certain music evokes certain memories in me -- as well as certain mindsets and moods. Since I know they do this, its much simpler to just re-play them to recapture the mood/memory/mindset...rather than searching for new songs that may or may not do the same thing.

Even more simply, some songs are just awesome. It's sort of like asking "why do you always think this painting is beautiful?" or "why do you always want to spend time with people you love?" Because you do, obviously. It brings you pleasure.

That's not to say, however, that I don't look for new music to enjoy. [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to like some cheesy 60s, 70s, and 80s song. Like i listen to "How deep is your love" by the Bee Gees over and over some times, or The Way I want to Touch you or Miracles. Even though these songs were written ages ago, I just incorporate them into my experiences.
I like almost all sorts of music except the songs that irratate me like Piano Man or Scenes from an Itallian Resturant or Don't go Breaking my Heart ><
I hate cheesy male female duets.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I think it has to do with an affinity for a type of music that is developed through repetition and ingrained when people first discover the music of their generation.

Frankly, it's starting to make me feel old - this new fangled hip hop crap that my 11-year-old cousin listens to and loves grates on my ears like nothing else. But my mother can't stand the Goo Goo Dolls, Oasis, Sublime, Green Day, et al that I play at high volume when I'm hanging around the house. I think I'll probably always like bands that sound like the type of music that was really popular in the mid to late 90s - which was when I came of age from a musical perspective.

I enjoy classic rock, as well, but honestly I think that's in part because that style of pop/rock music came back a little bit in the late 90s. I like the Beatles etc of the 60s more than I like the Zeppelin and Pink Floyd of the 70s.

And I have a soft spot in my heart for the sugar pop of Hansen, N Sync and the Backstreet Boys, even if I can't stand to hear their most popular singles played one more frickin' time.

So while a lot of 18-25s like classic rock right now, I'm not sure that affinity will extend to the slightly younger generations now just starting to listen to popular music. And I still like new bands that have familiar sounds.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of it is that for a mot of people music is more than music. It can evoke a lot of memories, but more than that it evokes the same emotions those feelings bring with them.

In Dave Wolverton's Serpent Catch, that would be called it's kwea.

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah? Well...I'll kwea you!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

So true, for me music is scent, colour, memory, all sorts of feelings hidden in every song, books I've read, the whole 9.
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Its kinda funny but the songs that I would call my time-tested favorites are ones that I only listen to every so often. I still have my collection of current favorites that I actively listen to, but they only last a couple weeks until disappearing into the lengthy "Music->Songs" list on my iPod, generally to be forgotten.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a particular sound: heavily melodic, full, with a harsh edge. Music of any era that falls into that category finds a place on my shelf.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I wonder if it's like there's this one window of opportunity in the life of a normal human's brain where they're open and receptive to new music? After that time they seem to stick mostly with what they already know and love. But it's never happened for me, the end of that time. I'm not sure why not. There's some sort of extreme neoteny going on with me in general, so maybe that's just one more thing. I seriously don't think I'm human. I think I might have speciated.

I'm curious to know what it's like for other people. Leonide, what age range were you when you first came to like the music you still like best?

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so. I listen to new stuff all the time, but I still like some of the stuff from when I was younger as well.

Part of it, at least for me, is that most of the stuff that comes out is crap, but most of the fluff gets left behind fairly quickly. Most of the stuff that continues on has something good about it, even if it isn't always my favorite stuff.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I like a particular sound: heavily melodic, full, with a harsh edge. Music of any era that falls into that category finds a place on my shelf.

Ooo you should listen to Dir en grey.

Is it just me or do people develop their own tastes in music around Jr. high?
I know I did.
Opera, lite jazz, old skool jazz, old skool r and b.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

"most of the stuff that comes out is crap" has always been true, though, of course. I think this idea in general, can in some cases just be a restatement of "these kids today, they don't know what real music is!" which has been uttered by old people throughout time from days immemorial. You know what I mean? The state of "music today" almost always looks totally different to young people than it does to older people.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there are as many different responses to different kinds of music as there are people--so much so that you can't generalize and say, "All people react to music this way, or develop tastes in this manner." I agree with Kwea that response to music is an emotional response, and everyone has different experiences and different emotional makeups.

In the same way that some people enjoy travel and some don't, some people (of ALL ages) enjoy new musical experiences and some don't. And, to my mind, there shouldn't be any judgment attached to that. It's a matter of personal opinion and response.

(Now, if you're studying music as a profession, to me, that's a different story. If you're intending to make it your profession, you have an obligation to explore as many kinds of music, from all eras, as you can, in order to make you a more nuanced and well-rounded musician. Always in my opinion, of course.)

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think I might have speciated.
Try reproducing, just to see what happens.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ratio of quality-to-crap music is roughly the same now as it has always been [Smile]
Our industrialized music culture, media, generation of kids, etc. just seem to underline the annoying, repetitive stuff.

Bottom line for me is, there are some songs from the past 40 years that I think are incredible...and some that have been made even in the past couple years that I think rival everything from back then. It's so easy to just shut yourself up in nostalgia and dismiss everything modern. But talented, beautiful music is always being made, and definitely worth searching for in my opinion [Big Grin]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
85% of the time, when I hear a new song, I have no opinion of it whatsoever. I have to hear the song again and again, and over a few listens, I will either grow to like it or grow to hate it. I assume that most people are like that.

Music is important to me, and I have met people with remarkably similar taste. Sometimes they are younger, my age or way older. In all cases, they're pretty rare. But then, I was never very close with "my generation."

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Saephon, I agree with your post entirely! (Except whatever music someone doesn't like, they usually consider to be annoying and repetitive. Or else they say that it's just full of bangs and crashes. There are quotes spanning time with these two observations/assessments in them, about music from Bach to Stravinsky to Elvis to avant garde Jazz, to whatever you can imagine. [Smile] )

DevilDreamt, I'm the same way exactly. It takes me a while to decide if I like something, and how much. Also, music is very important to me. [Smile] I've found a lot of people with similar taste to me, but not anyone my age who listens to the kind of music I like now. They mostly seem to like only the music they liked when they were younger. I think I'm just weird. [Smile]

[ September 02, 2007, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I can't abide classic rock. I loved it in its time, and I can see why young people who haven't heard it ten-gazillion times already like it too. But it's soooooooooo overplayed. Even the really good stuff from back then, they picked 50 good songs from and play those. They never branch out into the less well known stuff.

Try this. They do deep tracks sometimes. But even when they don't, it's just great music.

I like listening to the same music over and over. I generally have one album playing on my computer at any given time, and the player is set to loop, so that when it ends, it starts again. I'll basically hear the same album 9-10 times a day.

Currently, my daily album is Jackson Browne (a compilation I made myself, because I don't like any of the ones that exist). Eleven tracks, repeated over and over.

Before that, it was Celtic Odyssey. Before that it was The Guess Who - Greatest Hits. Before that, it was an Israeli group called the Shalosharim. It's been Heart - Dreamboat Annie. It's been Once More, With Feeling (BtVS). It's been Arik Einstein's Greatest Hits. When I feel like a change, I find another album that suits me and switch to it. I could stream WDRV (the link I gave you above, but I don't need to use the bandwidth. I listen to The Drive in the car.

quote:
Am I the only one like this? It seems to me from observation that the vast majority of humans listen to the same music they liked in high school and college for the rest of their lives.

Or various times in my life. I love stuff from the late 60s and early 70s as well, which is before my high school years. And there's a bunch of stuff from the mid-90s (Sheryl Crow, Shawn Colvin, etc) that I like as well.

But I've listened to the albums Year of the Cat (Al Stewart), Down Under (Men at Work), Night and Day (Joe Jackson), CSN (CSN), Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds and so on hundreds and hundreds of times. And I'm sure I'll listen to it hundreds of times more.

quote:
My Dad played hundreds of gigs for the people now in their 80s who grew up during WW2 to dance to Glenn Miller. People who were young in the 50s want Motown from now on, etc. Almost everyone seems to want those same few songs they loved as a teen and young adult. Over and over. And over. And over again. What's up with that?

I don't get the problem.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've probably listened to my favorite Dave Matthews music a couple hundred times, and will continue to listen to it hundreds more. Same thing with the London recording of Les Mis, and for my James Darrin, Gomez, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Bobby Darin and to a lesser degree Michael Buble. And there's a few soundtracks I listen to on a fairly continuous basis (BSG, Gettysburg, Star Wars, Glory, etc).

For the big pop or rock songs of the day, chances are I'll listen to them somewhat often for a few months and then they'll fall by the wayside except for random times every couple years I'll pull them out. Really good ones here and there I'll listen to more often.

Classical I have to be in the mood for, which is fairly often, but I think I've listened to the Fantasia music, the planets, and some bits of Chopin, Beethoven, Handel, Dvorak, Stravinsky and others more often. New classical I don't get to very often. Without buying a new cd (having no idea what it sounds like), it's hard to get access to classical I haven't heard on a regular basis.

But I think for a lot of people, maybe everyone, there are songs that will just never get old. I'm always open to new music, but I'll never get sick of my favorites.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was growing up, what is now called "classic rock" was cutting edge stuff. A lot of it was crap, but it was new...just like a lot of what is coming out now is crap, but it is new crap.

So for me, listening to classic rock is like visiting with old friends. Sure sometimes the old friends are showing their age, and some of those old friends are slightly dysfunctional (and probably were when they first came out, but who noticed?). Still, they're old friends, and I treasure them.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I love listening to my favorite albums repeatedly. I'm 27, so it's not like i've been listening to them for 20 or 30 years, but it's been long enough that I can safely say that my favorites will continue to be my favorites for life. I have a base of 3 main bands that I always come back to, Floyd, Beatles, and Radiohead. These bands are in various degrees of rotation at all times, regardless of what else I'm listening to. Bands that I loved pre-highschool(GnR, Metallica, Aerosmith) and during high school(beastie boys, pearl jam, sublime, Chili Peppers, Dave Matthews, etc...) still get played once in a while, but nowhere near the amount of play time they used to. Dave Matthews is probably the exception to that and still gets decent regular play. My base I discovered in college and they haven't left.

That said, there's never a time where I'm not listening to something new. Whether it be new albums that have just come out, or just new albums I've discovered from different genres and decades, I'm always looking to hear new music. And I go through distinct phases. I'll be in a punk phase for a months, then an electronic phase, then a jazz phase, then a jam band phase, a friend has just turned me onto a lot of blue grass type stuff and I've been listening to that recently.

What I'm saying is that I think it's possible to listen to the music you love over and over again, and still be a well rounded musical listener open to hearing new sounds at the same time.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I go through modes- sometimes I want to hear hard rock, sometimes I want to hear celtic music, sometimes I want to hear reggae or jazz or "prog rock" or something entirely different. If I like something I may listen to it repeatedly, and then I'll go through a spell where- acknowledging I still like a song- I don't want to hear it again for months.

And while some songs may have "a certain number of listens", I've also noticed that some songs grow on me after hearing them a few times, while others start out benign (or at least innocuous) and grow tedious and/or irritating.

I heard Fastball's "The Way" a few times before I started to appreciate that the way it switched between moods and melody lines was really pretty interesting; conversely, "In the Arms of the Angels" started out soothing and became something I was ready to stick a sharp object into my ear to avoid hearing again.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated high school when I was there, but there is something about the music (new wave 80's) that makes me feel young, which seems good even though I was miserable. Sometimes. I go weeks without listening to the radio. But just talking about it now, I do believe there was, if you will, an innocence to that time. Financially, at least.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I must make a point that has doubtlessly been made before at some time in history. All popular music has been called depraved and the tool of the downfall of youth, and it has never been true. Even something as innocent as ragtime was once labeled such a way.
</rant>

Beginning about ten years ago, I loved classic rock because I spent a lot of time with my dad and it's what he listened to. I took in everything that emerged from the speakers. I listened to it all of the time whenever I had a chance. Recently it has grown to grate on me, except for the very best stuff, in my opinion of course. The Who, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Cream, Rush* etc. are some of the bands that I can still listen to and not get bored. These bands have aged well. Boston, for example, hasn't. [Razz]

I am trying to like stuff from later, and it's going well, but lately I have been listening to the country music I liked as a child in the 90's. That brings back good memories. [Smile]

*Rush still rocks! W00T!

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:
Boston, for example, hasn't. [Razz]

On the whole, i agree with you, but I still love to listen to "More than a Feeling" and it's one of my favorite "Guitar Hero" songs, too.

I doubt I'll ever tire of it... as I remember when it was a current hit on the radio.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just echo the fact that there is lots of music, especially in classic rock, that I always skip or change the station for because it has been overplayed tenfold. I get a huge eyeroll and feel the need to get away soon.

Sweet Home Alabama is the number one offender here. I'll never be able to enjoy this song again. I loved it when I was 7-8, but I don't see how anyone can like it after the 50th hearing. Others off the top of my head:

Black Dog/Rock and Roll off Led Zeppelin IV
For the Longest Time by Billy Joel--ugh
Popular songs from the 50's (I-vi-IV-V, repeat)
Back in Black by AC/DC
Walk this Way by Aerosmith

It's sad because they were all once some of my favorite songs. Blech.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
The three that I can really listen to over and over again are:
Beatles
The Who
Billy Joel (though it seems there are quite a few who dislike him, it seems more so that you have only heard a few of his songs, and his less known ones are probably some of his best)

I have been listening to ABBA and The Carpenters a fair amount lately, and perhaps one of the two, or both, will stick, or perhaps I will end up not listening to either much in the end.

Of the things which I listen to occasionally, but not as often as the aforementioned, they include Elton John, Showtunes (including 90's Disney movies), BNL, Aretha Franklin, Beach Boys (probably more often than any of the others mentioned), and I just realized that I am about to list pretty much every artist on my itunes and considering that I have over 6,000 songs that may take a while.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I don't dislike Billy Joel. There are just some songs of his that annoy me deeply.

Even Just the way You are annoys me. I really like that song, but I can't help thinking that if the woman changed he'd be singing a different tune.

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I mix my music up enough that I don't tire of classic rock at all. The only ones I have to watch out on are:

Aerosmith (c'mon, just about every song he does is the same thing)
Ozzy Osbourne (I'm a way much bigger Dio fan)
The Who
Steppenwolfe
Alice Cooper
Deep Purple
and The Eagles

I still listen to them now and then, just not as much. But I play mp3 CDs in my truck and you'll find anything from Elvis to Soil on it. And it usually takes a few days to get back around to playing over at the beginning again.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I will go on record as deeply disliking Billy Joel, though I did like him a long time ago in the 70s. [Smile]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Dio? Naw. Dio BS songs are cool, but kicking out Ozzy was a stupid idea.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as Ozzy would have quit the group eventually to go solo, it really doesn't matter. The group did him a huge favor by firing him.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

He did get more popular than them according to his wife.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Well, as a solo artist he did. Including all his antics. I had to laugh when he did the Reunion Tour. Everyone was talking about BS being together again....BS never left. That whole 30 year span wasn't without BS. It just didn't have Ozzy in it. But Ozzy's voice really seems to annoy me at times in his songs. He's got some excellent music out there, don't getme wrong. However, Dio just had something...his voice just sounded better. And I know I'm not alone. Being a Dio fan got me a discount on a new leather jacket at a bike show a few years back. [Smile]

Edit to add: I found this a lot easier to read than the other format I have printed out. BS family tree.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I rather dig Ozzy's voice.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Different strokes for different folks.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
As a 20 year old, I guess I haven't lived lon genough to get tired of too much music.

However, I have been finding my tastes continuing to develop, and enjoying music I used to dislike, and finding myself liking certain bands I used to like (such as the Fray) less and less.

Thanks to youtube, I can listen to the music I like, and find new songs, time and time agian.

I like a lot of j-pop, even if I can't always understand it easily. (I mean, I listen to a LOT of j-pop.)

I don't really know what exactly the sound I like is, how to describe it. I wish I could... but here are a few current ones:

How Far We've Come (Matchbox 20)

Duvet (Boa)

Pachuca Sunrise (Minus the Bear)

El Manana (Gorillaz)

The Light Before We Land (The Delgados)

Through the Glass (Stone Sour)

Pachabel's Canon, Ode to Joy and a bunch of other classical pieces

Kryptonite

All Along the Watchtower

I dunno what it is. They all seem to have something. Maybe not even the same something, but a certain something.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read a great book by the neurobiologist Daniel Levitin, called "This Is Your Brain on Music." He describes how, based on current research, it appears that there is actually a biological basis for the development of musical tastes. In particular, the styles of music you listen to from your teenage years through your early twenties set a template for what you will generally find enjoyable for the rest of your life.

You're actually receptive to all sorts of music starting from childhood- babies, for example, don't seem to demonstrate any particular bias towards one culture's music versus any others. But adolescence and young adulthood is generally when people also begin to branch out and explore music on their own, to seek it out independently. As a result, that is when they are exposed to the greatest variety in music. Once you pass the early-to-mid-twenties, your brain actually loses a lot of its ability to "accept" new musical ideas. As a result, most people become attached to the music of their young adulthoods, which neatly explains both why oldies stations persist (and the age of their listeners), and why older folks often complain about how newer music just sounds like noise to them.

On an unrelated note: those are some great choices, 0Megabyte. I looooooooooove the Delgados (and sadly, know few others who do). Same goes for Boa, a talented British band whose careers have been sadly overshadowed by the Korean pop star of the same name.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Ooo
He should test my brain on music.

Also, there is that Lane song, do they sing that? Not Lane, Lain.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
0Megabyte -

Which version of AATW? It's one of the more covered songs that I can think of in modern music history. DMB's version isn't bad, and though I bet few would agree, my favorite version is the one from Battlestar Galactica. Of course the original is good too.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it all - all the stuff I've loved in the past plus the (good) stuff that's in the charts now. But there's no denying that the songs that were popular when I was in highschool bring back certain memories so sharply that they will always be a little beloved. I can't get sick of them any more than I could get sick of remembering my friends from back then.

Doesn't stop me loving Maroon 5 and Powderfinger though. Good music is good music and I'm not denying myself of it because of fond memories.

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
To Tarrsk:

Yes. Boa has been overshadowed by BoA.

Duvet is, like, one of my top ten songs, ever. Probably always will be.

And the Delgados... well. I haven't heard much of them, but damn!

Lyrhawn: Of course the BSG version! But I like the Jimi Hendrix version too.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Dio as well. i live a sort of sheltered life. In high school I totally got into the album Holy Diver, and my mind was completely blown like two years later when i heard Holy Diver on the radio. For some reason, I just assumed that I was the only Dio fan in the entire universe (seeing as how no one that I knew at the time had any idea who they were).

Whenever Holy Diver would play on the radio at work, we would all drop what we were doing and rock out. I mean, how could you not?

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
I recently read a great book by the neurobiologist Daniel Levitin, called "This Is Your Brain on Music." He describes how, based on current research, it appears that there is actually a biological basis for the development of musical tastes. In particular, the styles of music you listen to from your teenage years through your early twenties set a template for what you will generally find enjoyable for the rest of your life.

You're actually receptive to all sorts of music starting from childhood- babies, for example, don't seem to demonstrate any particular bias towards one culture's music versus any others. But adolescence and young adulthood is generally when people also begin to branch out and explore music on their own, to seek it out independently. As a result, that is when they are exposed to the greatest variety in music. Once you pass the early-to-mid-twenties, your brain actually loses a lot of its ability to "accept" new musical ideas. As a result, most people become attached to the music of their young adulthoods, which neatly explains both why oldies stations persist (and the age of their listeners), and why older folks often complain about how newer music just sounds like noise to them.

That's interesting. Because I had a strong dislike for country until my late 20s, and now I really enjoy it. And while I've always liked classical music, it's definitely something I have come to enjoy more with maturity.

And I still love all the pop songs and songs-that-were-"oldies"-even-then from my teen years.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I said you lose a "lot" of your natural ability to take in new musical ideas, not all of it. [Smile] Also, I suspect that late-20s is close enough to Levitin's age barrier that you'd still be well within the usual range for human beings.

The mental barrier is also certainly something that can be overcome with effort- which I suspect is the case for your developing appreciation for classical. In fact, I think that may be an excellent example of what Levitin writes about, which includes a whole ton of detail that I left out of my hasty summary. The basic patterns (melody, harmony, scales, rhythms) of classical music were ingrained in your mind early on, but mature appreciation comes from understanding how a particular piece upholds and subverts elements of those structures, something that has its foundation in your basic appreciation of said structures, but also involves more complex mental acrobatics on your part. It leaves the realm of simple neurobiological patterning and dives into active cognition.

Regarding your oldies appreciation, my question is: how old were you when you started listening to them? That's what matters. [Smile]

quote:
Yes. Boa has been overshadowed by BoA.

Duvet is, like, one of my top ten songs, ever. Probably always will be.

That whole album is fantastic. I love Jasmine Rodgers' voice.

quote:
And the Delgados... well. I haven't heard much of them, but damn!
Make sure you get the entire album off which "Light Before We Land" is taken ("Hate"), as well as their last album ("Universal Audio"). Their older albums are very good as well, but those two are their masterpieces.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Sweet Home Alabama is the number one offender here. I'll never be able to enjoy this song again. I loved it when I was 7-8, but I don't see how anyone can like it after the 50th hearing.

Because I went to college in Alabama, and it was a time of growth and change about which I never hear reference any more in my daily life. "Sweet Home Alabama" coming on the radio is the closest I come to hearing a twang of a Southern accent (Olivet's is too genteel to count [Smile] ), the only time I hear the words "kin," "Alabama," "Muscle Shoals," and "gu'bnor" ever again.

It isn't that I think it's a great song, but rather that is plays a role other than just "song" to my ears.

There are more things, Horatio. [Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.