FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Greatest Science Fiction Story Ever Written

Author Topic: The Greatest Science Fiction Story Ever Written
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
The Greatest Science Fiction Story Ever Written
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
That was fun, TWW.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
That was pretty funny.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good, thanks! Mind you I have never read Nightfall...
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty clever. I don't really get why it's on nature.com, though.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Pretty clever. I don't really get why it's on nature.com, though.

quote:
Futures is the occasional SF column in Nature, the international weekly journal of science...The first series of Futures ran from November 1999 to December 2000. ...It has published stories from many of the established names and rising stars of SF, as well as stories from authors writing fiction for the very first time. In 2005, the European Science Fiction Society awarded Nature the title of Best SF Publisher.
From Here
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Nightfall by Isaac Asimov was a great story. But I think many people would regard Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes as the greatest science fiction story ever written.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Card's "The Originist" has long been top 3 for me. *nod to our host*
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
The only good answer is baccano.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome [Smile] Reminds me of The Great Automatic Grammatizator by Roald Dahl.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

> But I think many people would regard Flowers for
> Algernon by Daniel Keyes as the greatest science
> fiction story ever written.

As it happens, when I submitted the story to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, with all references to Analog being changed to F&SF, it did end with "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes.

I'm glad people are enjoying the story.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric James Stone is one of my writing amigos; we went to OSC's Boot Camp together, and roomed together at Writers of the Future. (Not to mention we're both Asst. Editors for IGMS) He's a great writer, and a phenomenal guy.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, perhaps I should have added that Flowers for Algernon was published in F&SF, back in 1958. Congrats on the success of your story.

My first published short story was in Analog back in 1979. I estimate that I submitted around 70 manuscripts before finally being published. I will always remember editor Ben Bova with special fondness.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.