FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Marriage Thread

Author Topic: The Marriage Thread
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
With so many sad threads about divorces, I thought I'd make a happy thread . . . today is my hubby and my 30th wedding anniversary! [Party]

I will be the first to say that it hasn't been all fun and games. Far from it. We've gone through clinical depression and therapists and medications. Bankruptcy. Unemployment. Sleep apnea and operations. No children despite a desperate desire to have them. Lived in four states and twelve different houses/apartments/condos, including several months with my parents.

There has also been graduating from college on the same day. Favorite places to visit and figuring out places we will never visit again! Movies. Sharing books. Great restaurants. Praying together at night, with our dog beside us. Snoring on the sofa while the other watches tv.

How have we made it to this point? Deep commitment despite the obstacles. When we're storming and raging and going crazy, it's not easy, but the storms always pass, the sun comes out again, and we can see our way through to another night or another day. Of course, there were a few times when we both thought the storms would never end, and wondered if we really had what it took to make it all work out, but, we've made it to this point, and it's a happy day!

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy anniversary, Sala!
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aglaea
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

Any special plans?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy anniversary! Congratulations on 30 years!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Made me smile. Congrats.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

Special plans? Bought a new dining room table and chairs, then went out to eat at a fancy place so we didn't use them. [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good planning! [Wink]

I love your OP. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing that with us. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! 30 years...that's pretty awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 30th, Sala!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your anniversary! Now manage that feat again!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

Thank you everyone! It was a delightful day. And BlackBlade, I sure hope we are able to go another 30 at least. [Smile]

Now, off to the amusement park with four of my nieces and nephews, my brother and his wife, and my momma. Hubby is staying home, minding the fort. It should be another delightful day. Even if it is a sweltering 105 in the shade (heat index).

Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, those roller coasters blow the sweat right off.

Congratulations!

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good news and glad to hear you had a good day. Many happy returns!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't comment in this thread the first time I clicked, but I reread the OP and I'm commenting now.

Thirty years! Congratulations!

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
We're coming up on our 13th. It's pretty fantastic.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Sala!

My husband and I celebrated our 20th this year. It hasn't been easy, but it's been wonderful.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only lay claim to ten years, but I'm still glad, and proud.

Thank you to everyone for sharing.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to hit ten, which doesn't sound like a whole lot, compared to Sala's thirty. [Smile] But I have been married over a third of my life!

Congratulations, Sala. [Cool]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

PSI, I remember the day when the number of years married was more than the number of years I had not-married. It was a strange sensation. A couple of years later when the balance tipped for my husband, I knew that his mother's influence was now being overcome by my influence. Again, a strange sensation. [Smile]

Hank, you're right! Rollercoasters do a GREAT job of blowing off the sweat. And ten minute thunderstorms do a wonderful job of cooling things down, atleast for an hour or so.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, considering my mother-in-law has never been a huge influence in the way my husband makes decisions, I'm happy to say that that scale tipped for me a long time ago. Not that she's a horrible woman, I just have control issues. [Wink]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! It's nice to hear from people who make it.

Mrs_Maven and I recently celebrated 5 years married and it feels like a heartbeat.

Here's to 30 more! #raises virtual glass of champagne#

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.