FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Air conditioner mayfly

Author Topic: Air conditioner mayfly
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a window air conditioner. It isn't exactly silent, but a few days ago, I turned it on, and there was a an added tone to it. It's a higher pitch than the regular roar of the air conditioner, and for some reason, it cuts right through everything. I can't talk on the phone with it on now, and I used to be able to. I can barely hear through my headphones when it's on, let alone the speakers.

I've looked inside the thing (through the vent holes) and I don't see anything obvious that could be causing it. It's not a rattle, or anything; it's a constant sound.

Have any of you had this experience? Does it mean the AC is hosed? Is there something wrong with the motor? I know it's ridiculous to ask for a diagnosis over the Internet, but I thought someone might find it familiar and have an idea or two.

Thanks.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you see the motor without ripping it apart? If so, try squirting some WD40 in there.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a long-distance guess of a diagnosis which is worth every penny you paid to get it: a bearing is in the early stages of wiping out.

The only good news: it might takes months or even year to totally wipe and seize up, beyond repair.

The bad news: if it is a bearing, that sound will continue from here on, barring some miraculous self-cure (which machines can do, albeit rarely).

The other bad news: if it is a bearing, the cost of repair would just about equal the cost of a new ac unit.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's suggestion is a good one, but I would recommend a spray lube with silicone, lithium or PTFE/Teflon. WD40 evaporates quickly and leaves very little lubricant behind.

Try the WD40 first and if it quiets your A/C, go get a good spray lube.

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Thanks. I'll try that.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
It might also be warped plastic or panel vibration. Try applying pressure to different parts of the unit. One of them might be vibrating, and applying pressure could stop it. If it is the cause, it could have been caused by pressure from the window or the mounting brackets, etc.

Is it a metallic "screetchy" noise, or is it more of a high pitched hum? The screetchy, scratchy noise would be motor, bearings, or other moving parts. A hum might would be more indicative of a vibration induced sound.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

It's hard to say. It could be a continuous scratch. I don't think vibration is likely.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.