FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender - SCRUM master

Author Topic: Ender - SCRUM master
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here ever had to go through Agile / Scrum training for Software Development?

Basically it's a process of development that calls for small, efficient, and well trained teams to take on bits of a whole project and complete them in small iterative pieces. The process allows for greater flexibility and creativity and relies on well trained leads of these small teams to do what they think is best as long as it's working towards the common goal.

And the whole while all I could think of was Ender in the Battle Room. How he made sure to develop and grow the leads of his platoons so they could work independently with very little micromanaging. This of course allowed them to be more flexible and react to change better than the other armies that took longer to realize and execute new strategies based off of environment changes.

So, interesting day in training. This was the only place that I could think of to see if someone else had come to the realization that Ender Wiggin was Agile certified.

http://www.softwareplanner.com/Newsletters/newsletter_2008_02_SP.htm

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gone through Agile training. It was actually sort of amusing, since at the time I was the only programmer on staff, in addition to being the only DBA and one of two web designers. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrum is interesting in that its terrible if it is instituted by poor management in the hopes of being a 'silver bullet' that solves development crisis they are in due to the poor management to begin with. It does not compensate for dysfunction on the upper end. But, on the whole, it's massively effective when effective managers implement it to prevent them from having productivity get derailed when they have to apply their focus to a massive project and keep a gaggle of programmers working semi-autonomously towards an operable end product.

Things are running very smoothly here on account of SCRUM and I think it was fairly necessary for tackling huge projects like an MMO.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.