FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Video of Apache attack on Iraqi civilians

Author Topic: Video of Apache attack on Iraqi civilians
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Video on wikilinks

Well, this doesn't appear to be as cut and dry as either side is making it sound. Still, I find at least part of it highly questionable, if not downright reprehensible.

Supposedly there was a report of weapons fire a half an hour before this happened at a location somewhat nearby. Though they used the RPG as an excuse in the aftermath, permission was given to engage based only on small arms, and in the video, you can only see a single guy holding an AK47. So maybe that's enough to justify opening fire, though, really, I don't see why that's justification for mowing down the guys who are crawling away from the incident site. I was never in the military, and I can't speak to rules of engagement on that.

Regardless though, I don't see how I can explain away shooting the van that came to pick up the injured. They never saw a weapon, they had no idea what was happening, except that the van was picking up the wounded. They even said as much. And then they blame the parents for the kids being killed? Then they claim they did all they could, but dropped off their mess with the local police?

I'm even willing to sort of let go the fact that the pilots mowing these people down from the relative safety of the sky and a 35mm canon weren't just blase, but somewhat bloodthirsty about the whole thing.

I take this with a grain of salt because wikileaks clearly has an agenda, but a lot of it spoke for itself.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, people have been discussing this event for the last week in this thread.

Just a heads up!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I guess that's what I get for not reading the threads as often as I used to. My bad people, I'll move my post over to the other thread.

Thanks for the head's up Strider!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the American Indian was over. The Apaches are still attacking settlers?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No, it's actually historical footage.

Time machines have become an amazing tool for historians. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.