FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Going to Philadelphia this weekend..

Author Topic: Going to Philadelphia this weekend..
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
So my husband won us a trip for two to the world series. Apparently Mastercard was running one of those contests you automatically get entered in when you use your card -- never paid attention to them until they told us we'd won.

Anyway, we're very excited. My parents are coming into town to watch the kids for us (which they're excited about since that means they get to do trick or treating this year). We'll be going to game 3, which is in Philadelphia (on Halloween day). We won't be there long -- 3 days and 2 nights (so really just 2 days because we'll be traveling).

I've never been there. Anyone who knows the area have any suggestions?

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet!

I like the Mutter Museum of Medical Oddities. There's lots of history to be seen - from the Liberty Bell to museums and old houses. The Reading Terminal Market is pretty awesome.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
My fiancé suggests that you sell him your tickets. [Wink] (He's just across the river in NJ.)

That's awesome, though! Have a blast!

Do you know where your seats are?

Edit: He also suggests the Constitution Center and Independence Hall.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Not yet. They're supposed to get in touch with us this afternoon with the details so I'll let you know!
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a place in the Reading Terminal which had a good fried clam dish.

We also had a company dinner at a Brazilian BBQ called Fogo de Chao which was fun and tasty.

May want to be a bit careful walking around at night though, city didn't seem too safe.

Our conference actually had a closing gala dinner at the Constitution Center, but I heard secondhand that the displays and presentation was rather disappointing. However, that was from international attendees, so YMMV depending on where you're from.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone just came to Philly like 4 months ago or so and I wrote them up a whole big thing. I'll see if I can find it.

edit: Was it you Mucus?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Very probably.

Here we go http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=055460;p=1&r=nfx#000000

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Yeah, that's the one.

Christine, are you interested in haunted houses? Because the Eastern State Penitentiary has one of the best in the country and will be active while you are here.

Are you interested in a Halloween party while you're here? Because there's a pretty big, fun one that you could go to. Here's a write up. Henri is a great guy and he loves Halloween and always puts on a great party.

If you've never been to Philly before, you probably want to check out some of the history. That's all mostly in the area of town called Olde City (it used to just be Old, but they've added the e on in the last 10 years cause that's how fancy it is). I'd recommend Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell although honestly I don't know what the deal is there for Halloween times.

If there is anything specific you are looking for, let me know.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

We found the haunted house on-line this weekend and were thinking about going there. I figure we can't go to Philadelphia without checking out some of the historic stuff, too. The game's at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday and I don't think I'll be up to a Halloween party afterward, but we will have all day to look around.

Got any ideas for food? My husband and I are both adventurous, non-picky eaters and we like to try local spots, not chains.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Check out the link from Mucus. I went into detail there.

edit: If you know where you are staying, I can recommend places close.

Christine
Member # 8594

Yep, was just following that link. Good stuff, thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.