FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Boil Water Order

Author Topic: Boil Water Order
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
So I get home last night and find on my answering machine a request that I boil all my water.

Doing some research I discover that they found E Coli (of an unpleasant kind) in the water supply. The Boil Water order will last until Wed.

They suggest:

Throw away all the Ice in the freezer. (I would assume, turn off your ice-maker, but I don't have one).

Boil water vigorously for 3 minutes before drinking or brushing teeth.

My dish washer leaks, so we have been washing them by hand in hot tap water. I assume we need to change this to hot pre-boiled water.

Is it OK to water the vegetable garden?

Shower?

If I get a cut or scrape do I need to use the pre-boiled/bottled water to rinse it off?

Anyone else had experiences with this?

They say the order will expire Wednesday afternoon.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually in most cases of a boil water order the risk is minimal. The water is just not considered potable and as such you wouldn't want to do the drinking or the wound disinfecting.

Watering your garden is fine. Big questionmark for me about the hand-washing.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what handi-wipes are for--the disinfecting kind.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
When we get a boil order here (we have old water lines in the area and whenever there's a break, they automatically issue a boil order until it's fixed), we are told that showering is okay but to avoid it if you have any open sores or wounds anywhere.

We keep baby wipes and alcohol hand washes for boil-order days, as well as several gallons of bottled water for drinking, cooking, dish washing and brushing teeth.

Most of the time it's easier to spend extra time with my parents, who live a couple towns away. They grumble, but I know it's more to make a fuss than it is a true hardship for them, because they love spending time with my kids no matter the reason. The worst part when we do this is coordinating baths and showers for 6 people again.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
First put the water in the pot; put the pot on the stove; then turn on the stove. Any other order is likely to lead to unpleasant consequences.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Laughing at KoM
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Hey. They said boil water. They didn't say anything about a stinking pot. Now my electric stove is covered in an inch of water and when I turn it up to start it boiling, all I get is a shock.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
What area is this in?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also fill the pot, turn on the stove, and then put the pot on the stove with no problems.

And you really can turn on the stove before filling the pot and putting it on the stove, but we could discuss the ramifications in the Green Energy News thread.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You could put the pot on the stove, turn on the stove, then bring water over to fill the pot. But if the pot is Teflon all your birds will die. I'm just sayin'.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could turn on the Electric coil stove while you fill a pot with water, and by the time you put the water on, it's nice and hot.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Rabbit--small town of Washington Missouri. They found some Ecoli during their regular testing and seem to be reacting appropriately.

They used the "Reverse 911" to notify all the residents. One Plus to having a land line.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I never drink tap water without boiling it first. I guess I know too much about the business of municipal water treatment here in the U.S. to do that. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I always drink tap water without boiling it first. I guess I'm willing to take the (incredibly small risk in the name of saving the time and energy required to boil a lot of water.

Actually, the things I'm most worried about in water can't be removed by boiling, so why bother?

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Tstorm, how do you know the risk is incredibly small? Have you ever had a bout of uncomfortable ailments of the digestive system? Are you certain it didn't come from drinking tap water?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Yes, and reasonably sure it was food-related, not water-related. If it were water-related, I'd expect it to happen more often, because I drink a lot of water.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ah, but that's not how it works. The little bugs in the water treatment plant are usually kept well in check but from time to time get an eentsy bit out of hand. Susceptibility varies, as well as immunity to some local varieties.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Yes, I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. However, there's no way to prove that any individual case came from one source or another (food or water), is there?
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been drinking tap water for over 30 years, and never had a tap-water related digestive issue. I'd say that's a pretty good up side record.

How many people in American get digestive bugs from the tap water, compared to how many people drink tap water. At a guess, I'd say it's substantially lower than .001% chance of any given drink of tap water causing you a problem.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Unless you happen to be one of the ones who get problems from it, in which case it's 100%. [Wink]
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
<--- appreciates his well water even more... in spite of some of its drawbacks [Big Grin]

[ July 21, 2009, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: DSH ]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Interesting that you have something to back that claim up with. I'm sticking with the claim that Taco Bell caused my last set of issues.

So, on a separate but related note, have you ever thought about installing a reverse-osmosis machine? I'm thinking that might save you quite a bit of effort, compared to boiling pots of water every day.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

"Water, cool clear non-toxic water" is back.

Well, its been back since yesterday but I've been to busy to tell you all.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
Rabbit--small town of Washington Missouri

You're from Washington?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Well, I live in Washington now. (I was Dan_raven from St. Clair before moving and an embarrassing password issue had me using my alt all the time).
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Oh, I gotcha. Didn't know you'd gone through a name change, my man. I'm going to school over in your neck of the woods come August.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Where at?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

East Central College

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.