FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Web hosting for non-profits

Author Topic: Web hosting for non-profits
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done some googling on this topic, already. I'm not experienced with any of the web hosts that came up during my search, so I am interested in anyone's experience with web hosting for non-profits. Just to spoil the party, this non-profit has a budget of $10 for the entire year of hosting. The domain names are already purchased and owned, though I don't know the registrar or duration.

Any recommendations or other information is welcome. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What are your requirements for the site?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Well, as far as software goes, the person who has been maintaining the site (not me) was using the Yahoo Site Builder tools. This person thought they were easy enough, and they might be able to use Dreamweaver, but I'm not sure.

As far as technical requirements go, I'm not aware of any scripting or databases that power the site. The entire site is not going to take up more than 1 GB of space. If that. It's a pretty basic set of HTML pages.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
What non-profit is this, just out of curiosity (it's okay if you don't want to answer)? And why the need for a change of host?

It's possible that you could host it yourselves with the right knowledge and a broadband connection of some sort. But if the person maintaining the sight uses Yahoo Site Builder I'm guessing that's slightly out of the question.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

The non-profit is a local chamber of commerce. They claim a need to change hosts because of price increases. From what I understand, the price of Yahoo's hosting has changed (is changing?) from $10 per year to $35 per year. Other than this fact, they probably wouldn't be changing hosts.

I did consider this briefly, but I'm not in a position to host it myself, despite owning a perfectly capable web server and having a broadband connection. That would entail more work than it's worth. Considering the amount they're willing to spend on hosting, I'm not anticipating any direct monetary payment for my 'services' in this matter. I'm already working on two web sites out of the graciousness of my heart, so I'm not looking to pick up any other charity cases. [Smile]

Alcon
Member # 6645

Yeah, I also host a capable web server, but it's not in a terribly stable position right now (me being a college student and all). And I don't think my server fits their needs. They're gonna be hard pressed to find adequate hosting for $10.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

In fact it looks like the cheapest out there (that I can find) is GoDaddy for $4.95 per month. A little out of their price range.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

It may be that they'll have to pay more. That's up to them. [Smile]

I'm pretty familiar with GoDaddy; I actually have one site hosted with them. I wondered if anyone else here has had experience with a similar situation.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In complete seriousness: tell the chamber of commerce to suck it up and roll their Internet presence into their marketing budget. That's the way things are nowadays; unless they're still intending to just print out placemats for local restaurants and call it a day, they should get with the program.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

There's actually a good chance that they don't see it as a marketing tool. I don't have enough information to judge, however.

UPDATE: I just got an updated email and they informed me that the budget is actually $10 per month. I'm not getting accurate information. Even at Yahoo's new price, their budget clearly meets their needs. So, clearly, I need to ask more questions.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.