FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love reading Tropes

Author Topic: I love reading Tropes
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The comments I read are so snarky and witty alot of the times that I get as many laughs per minute as I do watching scrubs.

Get this: On World of Warcraft

quote:

The second expansion is sure to make things worse due to drastic changes in nearly every field (especially raids). Some people welcome the changes (if not completely), others contest them on the ground that they are dumbing down the game

[ROFL]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can think of that would make that chuckle worthy is if Blayne feels the game is as dumb as can be already, and that it can't get any dumber.

Which is how I feel about some posters, and others who click on threads by said posters even though they know they shouldn't [Grumble] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well you think all MMORPG's are a waste of time equally so this might be hard to explain, but, within the MMO community there is the distinct impression that WoW is encredibly dumbed down and easy compared to any other MMO in existence with EVE-Online and Lineage II as "very hard" and WoW at the bottom of the mainstream pile of poo in terms of difficulty.

The idea then, that people in WoW could actually legitimately argue that they could dumb down WoW even more is hilarious with this in mind.

Not that what Blizzard is doing is without some merit, ie making earlier quests and raids more solo friendly as the vast majority of their player base is level 60+ making it extremely difficult on older server for newbies to find parties for the more difficult quests.

Note, I find it 2x times funnier to read TV Tropes site in Yahtzee's voice.

(directed towards Tom)

Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I played Asheron's Call....Loads of fun!!!!

I wish I could have my entire year of 10th grade back though....

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:

This has happened numerous times with Dungeons And Dragons. First there was the change from 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition, then from 3.0 to 3.5, and now massive flame wars raging over the merits of the new 4th Edition of the game vs. 3rd/3.5. While other edition changes have had their holdouts, the change to 4th drew special rancor. Unlike previous edition changes, 4e replaces a thriving 3.5 fanbase. Further, the publisher seems to have lost interest in supporting open gaming. On top of this, it jettisons far more — and more iconic — sacred cows than any prior edition change, to the point of a Legacy Implosion-like effect.

* Things get even worse when you talk about individual campaign settings:
o Forgotten Realms fans are violently divided over the the "100 years later..." Time Skip.
o Eberron fans get into bloody wars over whether the setting should be allowed to move forward in time, and whether or not anything not written by Keith Baker "counts."
o Greyhawk fans are mostly super pissed that their setting never got a real book for Third Edition (and was dropped as the generic setting for Fourth). Anyone who's not super pissed is potentially inleague with the enemy.
o Planescape fans are divided over whether the Fourth Edition cosmology is boring and yet another slap in the face by Wizards Of The Coast, or worth looking at and trying to use for a "real" Planescape game.
o Meanwhile, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, and Dragonlance fans are still sitting in the dark arguing over who turned out the lights.
o Of course, with rumors that Dark Sun may be re-released for 4E, fans of that setting are quietly arming their flamethrowers and stocking up on napalm.
o Fans of Ravenloft have a minor point of contention as to whether their line of products was better with Wot C producing it or if the 3rd edition White Wolf sourcebooks were more worthwhile. Most put any disagreements aside with the simple thankfulness that it was reprinted at all. The Kargatane, who have published several internet supplements for the setting and whose members were leaders of the Ravenloft online community who could have swayed the issue one way or the other, were disbanded in October 2003, though several alumni then went on to write many of the White Wolf releases.

The funnies [Smile]
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
It is fun...I thought of some of my own tropes, but as far as I know, there's no way to submit your own.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, it's a wiki. How do you think the existing tropes got there? Magic?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well there's also www.tropes.com

EDIT: And by that I mean, www.tvtropes.org

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
WOTLK *did* make the game a lot easier.

It's still not as easy as AOC though. That game is a joke.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
with EVE-Online and Lineage II as "very hard"
How the heck is Lineage II 'very hard?' It's one of the most brain-dead games in existence.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

its hard in the sense that in the amount of time it takes to get to level ten your level 30 in wow. That is the impression people have told me.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Dude, it's a wiki. How do you think the existing tropes got there? Magic?

I'm more concerned about not having an easy way to determine if you're creating a trope that already exists under another name.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.