FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Official "MSM gives the Democrats a pass" thread

Author Topic: Official "MSM gives the Democrats a pass" thread
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There've been some things posted in other threads up until now, like the fact that Obama's new Treasury secretary is a tax evader, but I thought it'd be nice to have a centralized thread for this.

Will Media Report Pelosi's Claim 500 Million Lose Jobs Each Month?

And that's probably going to be a big old "no".

[ February 04, 2009, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
::Shrug:: She misunderestimated!
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is that particularly news worthy?
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If this is the kind of thing that populates this thread, I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy myself here.

Come on Lisa. There's MUCH better stuff out there than that.

And by the way, how is it getting a media pass if you found it on an anti-media media site? I can already see this thread devolving into a discussion on what constitutes the media, or especially the MSM, and I have a feeling it's going to include everyone who says nice things about Democrats and not include the multitudes that criticize them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll probably be on the news sites tomorrow, since it's only being brought out today.

See, what you didn't mention was that the right-wing media didn't report it either, it only got noticed in the last day or so from a posted YouTube video. The NY Post added more details in today's article on it:

quote:
In a Jan. 18 interview on "Fox News Sunday," Pelosi repeated that 500 million jobs would be lost unless Obama's stimulus package was passed by Congress.

When host Chris Wallace corrected her and asked if she meant 500,000 jobs.

"What did I say, million?" asked Pelosi, adding that it "feels like 500 million."

"Some 500,000 Americans will lose their jobs each month until we have a recovery package," she said.

"Yes, Madam Speaker, it feels like almost twice the entire population are losing their jobs each month," retorted Wallace.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Or maybe it'll just be a threat about bashing Pelosi?
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
NANCY PELOSI: Well, I believe that - I know that President-elect Obama is a strong supporter of America's workers. I myself am a strong supporter of that legislation. We passed it with a strong vote in the House in the last Congress, and I continue to be supportive of it.

But in terms of what we have to do in the first 100 days, we must address the needs of this country. Five hundred million people will lose their jobs each month until we have an economic package.

CHRIS WALLACE, HOST: No, 500,000.

PELOSI: What did I say, million?

WALLACE: Yes, 500 million. That would really be a recession.

PELOSI: Oh, no. Excuse me. Thank you for correcting me.

WALLACE: Yes.

cool so this is news why?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

That's upsetting that you forgot to quote the part where she goes on to say:

PELOSI: It feels like 500 million. Five hundred thousand Americans will lose their jobs each month until we have a recovery package.

The problem is that she is displaying, way more than once, that she just doesn't have a grasp on some very important numbers.

lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I see a pattern. Democrats making mistakes and then saying sorry.

Who cares...

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
The problem is that she is displaying, way more than once, that she just doesn't have a grasp on some very important numbers.

That's quite a stretch if all you have to go on is this one incident.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
quote:

Did you look at the link?

It happened twice. On tape.

And the second time she said it FEELS like 500 million. Yeah, like it really feels like everyone in the entire United States AND MORE loses their job every month...

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Captain! I sense bitterness.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's upsetting that you forgot to quote the part where she goes on to say:

PELOSI: It feels like 500 million. Five hundred thousand Americans will lose their jobs each month until we have a recovery package.

Politician uses stupid hyperbole, news at 11.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, as much as people made fun of George W. Bush for making mistakes, the news media generally didn't consider it news. It was more the comedy media that thought it funny.

I, personally, like the word misunderestimated and use it wherever appropriate.

It is mildly funny that she said million rather than thousand, but if I counted the number of times I've used the wrong word in normal conversation only to be corrected five seconds later either by myself or others I would be rich.

However, me making a brain-mistake like this does not mean in serious terms that I am an idiot who does not know the difference between 500 000 and 500 000 000. Only in comedy terms would it be appropriate to draw attention to this. It is not news.

The media, thank God, does not report this kind of thing because it should not be news. I am thankfully not subjected to American news every day but if "the media" truthfully put President Bush's mistakes as part of their headlines, then you should all rise up in arms and start your own media where the news is actually newsworthy.

I suspect, however, that President Bush's gaffes made the rounds more via independent blog-type media or comedy shows rather than serious prime-time stations such as CNN or MSNBC (although both make me want to shoot myself).

In fact, the top references to a google search for "misunderestimated" and the major newstations actually are headlines like "Don't misunderestimate Bushisms" (CNN) and "The 'misunderestimated' President?" (BBC).

Obviously it was not Bush's individual errors that were noteworthy, but rather the errors as a whole. If Nancy Pelosi makes numerous errors in a fashion as hilarious as Bush's I'm sure she will garner her own ridicule on the comedy networks and individual's blogs. However, if she makes minor rather boring mistakes, she will likely slip under the radar.

You can call me back when Pelosi makes an error that has some real effect, rather than five seconds of minor confusion. That might demonstrate incapability to carry out her role. A verbal gaffe does not, whatever induhviduals might have said about Bush's Bushisms.

By all means, make fun of gaffes, but don't attempt to draw nefarious conclusions from them unless you have some other legitimate evidence.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Yeah on the whole this is more or less just an example of Pelosi being a doof, but it's ridiculous to spin it newsbusters style.
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Good post Teshi.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
When I find myself in irritation,
Mother Mary makes a cry-
Speaking words of wisdom: "Let it die..."

Let it die, let it die,
Let it die, oh, let it die;
Don't pour gas on a bonfire, let it die...

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
quote:

Did you look at the link?

It happened twice. On tape.

And the second time she said it FEELS like 500 million. Yeah, like it really feels like everyone in the entire United States AND MORE loses their job every month...

It just feels to me like she's not all that good at making light of her own errors. Or did you take that literally?

Look, last weekend a friend of mine told me that we'd lost 50 million jobs the week before. I said, "50 MILLION? Really? we are in trouble." Then we chuckled. I forgot about it until this thread went up.

I don't see it being any more newsworthy because it was the Speaker of the House who made the gaff. Perlosi is human. News at 11.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Points well made. I recant my opinion.

I wasn't making the argument that it was newsworthy - just that it was annoying. But I take that back now...she's allowed to make stupid mistakes and her mistakes are not the reason I don't particularly like her.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:

That's the problem with foreigners Mucus, they need to learn to insult people by doing it indirectly. As well as hiding their emotions behind a smiling mask.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else who reads biology papers have to remind themselves that MSM means "mainstream media"?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Does anyone else who reads biology papers have to remind themselves that MSM means "mainstream media"?

Ooooh...I was like...My school musical?? No...that's not right...
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

That's the problem with foreigners Mucus, they need to learn to insult people by doing it indirectly. As well as hiding their emotions behind a smiling mask.
I don't follow. Maybe you caught a different reference?

However, I am curious enough to ask for further elaboration. What do you mean and what cultural difference have you observed?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you ask me, foreigners have no problem insulting you to your face, they are just much more subtle about it. Likewise, they have no problem hiding their emotions.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the idea that job losses will stop immediately after a stimulus goes through shows a deep lack of being in touch with reality.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

I don't follow. Maybe you caught a different reference?

However, I am curious enough to ask for further elaboration. What do you mean and what cultural difference have you observed?

It's not a reference. It was just a nod at Chinese culture where a person will simultaneously grin like a friend while saying something that seems perfectly innocent yet in reality is pretty damning.

edit: Initially it's pretty grating, but I've grown to prefer it in someways to the way Americans act.

[ February 05, 2009, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Honestly, I wouldn't know either way. My life has been thankfully pretty damning-free in either culture. Although come to think of it, I have seen that move pretty often in Triad movies or comedies. I guess I assumed it was universal.

But what made you think of that of all things*?

* I must be having a slow conversation parsing day

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember when VP Quayle made Headline News by misspelling potato?
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.