FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you call me and ask me to hold, you better be the President.

Author Topic: If you call me and ask me to hold, you better be the President.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
[vent]

So as I'm rushing out the door this morning to get my child to kindergarten, I get a phone call. (First bad sign- virtually no one I know calls me that early in the morning.) I stop, mid-rush, to answer.

It's a machine. I almost never accept calls from machines as a rule. And then...

The machine demands that I hold to talk with a representative about a "crucial" matter.

I hung up.

The only phone calls I ever get like that are from debt collection agencies who have mistakenly gotten the idea that someone they're looking for is at my number. (And later in the day, I received another phone call, looking for someone who isn't and to the best of my knowledge has never been at our number, suggesting that my suspicion on that line was correct.)

...And I'll certainly note that debt collectors (if that is indeed who they were) have never exactly been known for their couth.

That said, I'm really wishing for some sort of code to enter on the phone that will cause their machine to go up in an enormous pyrotechnic explosion.

How DARE they have a machine call me and tell me to hold? And how dare they say that there's urgency to talking to me without even stating who the <bleep> they are or why this urgency exists?... Or even if they know who they've actually reached?!

[Wall Bash]

[/vent]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate those calls, and never EVER hold for them. I agree that they are presumptuous and beyond arrogant to ask you to hold for a machine.

Apparently they work well enough though, because they're still doing them. So somebody must be holding for them.

I haven't had any calls like that for nearly a year since I got rid of my landline. Woo hoo!

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Two words: Call Screening.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, that is worse because then they leave a stupid, "Please hold while I connect you" message that then has to be deleted so my phone won't keep telling me I have a message.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I was furious when I started getting calls looking for my brother (who I haven't talked to in 5 years). I asked them how they even have my name and they were very evasive (all relationships can be discovered).
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
What???? Why'd you hang up?!! Those are the BEST!

I LOVE the opportunity to play with a telemarketer or debt collectors!

Tell them all your problems, complain that you are terribly depressed and that you have no friends...good times...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

This is less fun with calls that are not from a real person.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
The President, or, like, Viggo Mortensen.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
More like Viggo Creepyface.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
YOUR face is creepy.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe your face thinks you're creepy.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Kids, don't make come over there.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
The President, or, like, Viggo Mortensen.

For the next 39 days, it had better be Viggo.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The calls I've been getting lately have been about the extended warranty on my vehicle. When it finally connected, the operator asked me what kind of car I had. I said "You called ME. You should know." and they hung up.

It's a phishing scam. They just wanted my credit card number.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

The thing that kills me about those car warranty things is that I'm pretty sure they get the info right from the DMV. I "bought" a car from a family friend for one dollar, and a week later I started getting those warranty ads, which included my vehicle make, model, and VIN. Needless to say, I was not a happy girl.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
As an aside, The president, the president elect AND Viggo Mortensen can all KMA. Especially if they call and put me on hold.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
The calls I've been getting lately have been about the extended warranty on my vehicle. When it finally connected, the operator asked me what kind of car I had. I said "You called ME. You should know." and they hung up.

It's a phishing scam. They just wanted my credit card number.

I got one of those on my CELL PHONE the other day.

1. My cell phone number is not on any paperwork attached to any car anywhere.
2. If it was I wouldn't buy an "extended warranty" from anyone but the dealership I bought it at anyway.
3. It really irks me that they say "THIS IS YOUR SECOND NOTICE" about this-- if someone didn't speak good English, was senile, or not listening well, they could be tricked into thinking this was a bill they had missed.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't even get me started on the evilness of those scams. I bought my parents' house from my mom after my dad died. I had scams intended to fool the widow into giving money in order to collect some money she was supposedly entitled to that she didn't know about, because of something the deceased spouse supposedly did, for like 2 years afterward. That's pretty low down, scamming widows.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
[vent]

...And I'll certainly note that debt collectors (if that is indeed who they were) have never exactly been known for their couth.

[/vent]

It's true, debt collectors are often rude, and they don't usually believe it when they are told that the person they are calling for doesn't live at that number.

That said, think about the job. Unlike call centers designed for customer service, where be polite and answer the questions is the most important think a rep can do, collections is all about getting the money. Many of the people they call never pay on time or in full and they often lie themselves. Those debt collectors who don't believe you when you say that John Smith never lived at this number, don't believe you because lots of people who really are the person they are looking for try that to get them to stop calling.

Telemarketing is a whole other issue, particularly on cell phones. First, let me state that it is illegal for telemarketers to use an auto-dialer to call your cell phone number. If you're getting automated calls from marketing agencies (not debt collectors) you do have recourse.

First, and easiest, put your number on the FTC's do not call list. It shouldn't be necessary, unfortunately, the number of people who are foregoing landline's in favor of cell only homes is increasing, but forms often require a home number. People who only use their cell put the number in the required home slot, then the list they just got added to gets sold and now you're on a telemarketer's list, they may not realize that it isn't a landline they're calling. Then again, some companies just don't care about the law too. Remember it takes 30 days after registering for the list for you to be taken off all companies lists, and it may still be legal for solicitation through the use of manual dialing.

Second, if a telemarketer calls your cell phone, and you answer, tell them that this is a cell phone number, ask to be removed from their list (they are legally requred to comply if you request it) and make note of the name of the company and when you made the request. If you continue to receive solicitation calls from the company, you may be entitled to file a complaint with the FTC and/or FCC regarding the behavior of the company.

Further information on the do not call list can be found at the do not call website here.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My cell and home numbers are already on the DNC list. I didn't listen long enough to find out who was calling-- last time I asked the company calling wouldn't tell me anyway. I could take note of their number but I know they're using a fake number for the id anyway, so...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't even get me started on the evilness of those scams. I bought my parents' house from my mom after my dad died. I had scams intended to fool the widow into giving money in order to collect some money she was supposedly entitled to that she didn't know about, because of something the deceased spouse supposedly did, for like 2 years afterward. That's pretty low down, scamming widows.
Shades of Paper Moon.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's anything to do about these calls. I, too, have my number on the DNC list. I've also tried listening long enough to find out who a company is but the trouble is that once you start getting pushy, they hang up! These are not legitimate companies placing some of these calls. I don't know about the debt collectors -- but machines call my house ALL THE TIME. It's often the same ones. I've listened through to the message where they say "press 1 to stop receiving these calls" and that doesn't work. I press 2 to talk to an operator but as soon as I demand to know who they are they hang up on me. This has happened more than once, so I am fairly certain that they are calling to get my personal information in order to rip me off. As far as I know, there is no DNC list for scammers.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.