FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reasons why I want this election to be over

Author Topic: Reasons why I want this election to be over
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
1. So I can start liking my family again.
2. I miss reading books.
3. So I'll have to find something else to talk about.
4. I want my life back.

Reasons why I'm scared of this election being over:

1. What if Obama loses????
2. Between the hours volunteering and the hours keeping up on news and events, I feel like I'm going to lose part of my identity when this all ends. Who will I be on Wednesday? [Confused]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If Democrats weren't so gung-ho excited about the election, as evidenced if by nothing else from early polling data, I might be worried. Given that Democratic turnout can often be a problem, maybe less because of party affiliation ties with habits than a general leg up Republicans have on GOTV operations, when you add to that the fact that millions of Democrats think they are going to win, they might rather stay home than run up the numbers, it's perhaps a worrisome cocktail. But Obama's unprecedented GOTV efforts, combined with Democratic enthusiasm that hasn't been seen in a decade or more, and I think you have a recipe for a turnout that won't disappoint. That's what keeps me from being scared.

As for your second part, you evolve. This is just the beginning. If you really want to stick with it, there's still legislation to follow, speculation on cabinet appointments, how he'll deal with the economy and the wars overseas. There is no shortage of information to be kept abreast of if that's really what you want to do. It's what I plan to do. I have a dozen other things to keep me busy as well, mostly school work, but a large portion of my free time is already spent on reading up on current events and such, I don't expect that to change.

All that being said...I'm THRILLED that this thing is almost over. Not because I'm excited about the prospect of an Obama presidency, which I am, but because I'm just sick of the media. If listening to hear oneself talk were an Olympic sport, America would sweep the medals in the Media category. I've lost all interest in the horse race, in the gaffes, in the speeches, in the back and forth, in the blah blah blah who cares. Let's just vote and be done with it. I think most of America has felt that way for weeks now.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's just vote and be done with it. I think most of America has felt that way for weeks now.
Agreed.

That bit The Daily Show did a few weeks back with undecided voters was hilarious. I'm constantly baffled by undecideds.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to make a dobie of the thread, but it seemed a little too inappropriate. Oh well...
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, I'm so sick of election talk it's pitiful. I just want to vote the next person we can make fun of on SNL in already and be done with it. Worse than some people being undecided would be all people being uninterested, and that's what it's becoming. I agree that we can thank the media blitz for it also. [Smile]
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
3} Start of the 2012 campaign
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, im really looking forward to seeing something else on the news.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The enormously long election period you guys have might have made sense in the days before youtube, and even more in the days before tv, but these days it's just insane. One speech can be instantly downloaded and viewed by anyone anywhere in the world. You don't need to go and make the same speech over and over across the country.

Seriously. Electoral reform. It's the way to go.

(P.S. The rest of the world was ready for you to vote back in May. It's even more irritating when it takes over your papers and tv and life and you can't even DO anything.)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
Let's just vote and be done with it. I think most of America has felt that way for weeks now.
Agreed.

That bit The Daily Show did a few weeks back with undecided voters was hilarious. I'm constantly baffled by undecideds.

It was. And in many cases I don't believe undecideds really are. I just think for one reaon or another, they aren't 100% loving the person they are pretty sure they're going to vote for and are waiting to be hit over the head with that love.

That said, I know exactly why one undecided in my life remains undecided. My mom is caught in the middle between my father (Fox news lover, 'nuff said) and me. She's hearing lies about Obama as if it's truth and it's confusing to her...and I don't mean the terrorist stuff. She knows that's crap. The latest stuff plays on the fears of what Democrats will do to our taxes. People in her life are convincing her that he'll tax her out of her retirement savings. I wish she'd be more proactive in terms of looking for the truth, but most people aren't.

In terms of the topic of this thread...yeah, it's time to be over, although I'm not fed up with it or anything. The older I get, the more into politics I get. Next time, when I don't have a new baby in the house, I might even volunteer.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm constantly baffled by undecideds.
I'm undecided. And I'm here to help you.

Before we begin, though, let me state: I'm not undecided between Mccain and Obama; I'm undecided about whether to vote for Obama, or to submit a protest vote.

What baffles you about me?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I want this election to be over purely because I am sick of George Bush being the topic of political cartoons. Every SINGLE facet of his administration has been covered, the material is gone.

It will be fun to have the liberal press making fun of hopefully Obama, while folks still whine about it being liberally biased.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Gods, I'm sick of the US election coverage in the Canadian media, let alone if I was living in the States. Our election was called and completed in a little over a month.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.