FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving data from C: drive

Author Topic: Moving data from C: drive
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I installed a new hard drive a few years ago to free up space. I just looked at my C drive and it is getting too full, leaving only about 15G free.

I have a ton of music saved on C, and I would like to move it (about 29G worth of data) to my D drive where I have about 50-60 G free.

I think I tried to do this when I first installed the new drive and it messed all my media playing devices up. I usually use WMP because I am use to it and how it works.

Is there anything I have to do before moving it? Or am I better off not moving it?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of media devices are we talking about, here? The major problem about Windows Media Player is that playlists it generates are basically a series of links to file locations (say, C:/Music/Singing_In_The_Rain.mp3), so if the files are moved, those links then all become incorrect.

(Microsoft link: Windows Media Player Contains Invalid Entries)

If this is the primary problem you face, there's a suggestion for directly mass-editing the playlist files (to change all those "C:"s to "D:"s or whatever drive/partition is necessary) here.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on your preferred media player, you may be able to move those files within the player itself, thus automatically updating all your playlists.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Windows Media Player, usually. Although I use SUPER and VLC for video files.

I have my video files on my D drive already, but my music is still on C.

When you add things to the WMP library are you copying them to another file of just creating links to their present location?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're creating links.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess worst case scenario is that you have to clear your library and re-establish it by pointing the software to the new location of the files.

Of course, it's software, so that's not actually the worst case scenario. That would probably be many hours and many dollars lost. [Smile] But I don't think that's likely.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I thought that was the case. I read the links you provided and it seems all I would have to do is erase the library and then have it search for more music on the D drive folder I move it to to reestablish the links.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.