FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fall TV: Anything Worth Watching?

Author Topic: Fall TV: Anything Worth Watching?
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you watching this fall? Anything good, especially the new stuff?

I was surprisingly entertained by "My Own Worst Enemy" although I don't see how the premise can last for long.

Otherwise, I'm ready to give up on "Heroes," "Lost" doesn't start until next year, and I get bored in the evenings because my husband is a full time student and has a lot of homework to do. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Fringe

Dollhouse (not sure when this is coming out)

What's left of Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Dollhouse is a midseason show. Eli Stone is back, and it's wicked cool. Numb3rs is its usual great self, as is Life. The Mentalist is terrific. I prefer it to Psych, actually. Big Bang Theory continues to crack me up, and I'm enjoying Chuck, too. Not to mention House and Dexter and Merlin and did I mention that I watch way too much TV?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
NCIS is getting better than it started off. (If you want to catch up, all this season's eps are posted on Netflix Watch Instantly the day after they air.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Two and a Half Men reruns, Chuck, Heroes, House, Bones, and Primeval. Primeval was wonderful for the first half, but I had some trouble adjusting to what basically became a new show at the halfway point. It's still good, but much darker than it started.

Other than that, we're up to Season 8 of our SG1 box set.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Gurren Lagann on the SciFi Channel is excellent. Though technically it started its US run back in the summer. [Cool]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
My BSG DVDs.

And yeah, I watch Chuck. It's cute. [Smile] And copious amounts of football.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Fringe and Terminator are both pretty terrible. You might enjoy them, but if you're giving up on Heroes (I don't blame you), I'd be surprised, as they are in the same vein and of similar quality, and suffer from the same problems (stories that make absolutely no sense, mainly)....

I'll recommend a couple of new shows I've been enjoying so far this season. Check out Easy Money and The Mentalist.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Terminator is currently my favorite show. (And yes, TL, I also hate what Heroes is becoming.) While both of them have Time-Travel plotlines that are somewhat nonsensical, with Heroes it is only one problem of many, whereas with Terminator you only need to suspend one particular disbelief, which is that the Terminators can go back in time but for some reason don't just infect the internet and take over the world. The rest of the show follows quite logically if you're willing to swallow that. The characters feel very believable to me.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
My BSG DVDs.

I think you should lend me your BSG dvds. I'm sure you could find something in my extensive DVD collection to borrow in return.

I saw Chuck for the first time the other day and it was surprisingly funny. I thought it looked dumb at first, but now I might go back and watch it from the start. I still have other things to get caught up on.

And to answer the original question: I'm watching Heroes, and copious amounts of hockey. [Smile] I want to get caught up on NCIS and watch that. Other than that I'm rewatching my West Wing dvds. Nothing on TV right now is really drawing me in. My school schedule and work don't really allow me to watch much of anything on a regular basis. Next Summer I have a crapton of catching up to do.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I will warn you that the bulk of the first season of Chuck only had one plot. But it was all done with so much fun and humor that I still thought it was worth it.

If you get bogged down in the sameness of Season 1, skip ahead to Chuck revisiting his old college for some nice background and the one where Chuck and Sarah try to stop a bomb. It's a nice two-parter that didn't go where i thought it would. Pretty much everything after Morgan started dating Anna made me happy.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually saw most of the first episode of Chuck and wasn't drawn by that one. It seemed a little too dumb to be funny.

Although I have to say I would love to get into another comedy show. I just realized I haven't really gotten into a comedy series since Friends ended eons ago. Now the only things that make me laugh are The Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big Supernatural fan. I also was surprised by Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. Big Bang Theory is the only show my husband cares about watching.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got into How I Met Your Mother this year, and I've been watching the previous seasons on DVD along with the current one. I'm really enjoying it, and so far every episode has at least one thing that makes me laugh (better record than most "comedy" shows for me).

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
My BSG DVDs.

I think you should lend me your BSG dvds. I'm sure you could find something in my extensive DVD collection to borrow in return.

You know, I could actually be persuaded to do this. [Wink]

Failing that, I'm sure there's at least one video rental place that's got 'em...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. One of the main characters died at the beginning of this season and they're bringing in Lauren Lee Smith to replace him.

Once it starts back up, I'll also be watching Law and Order: Criminal Intent. I love Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Goren. It also looks like they're introducing Jeff Goldblum this season.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Mad Men. On AMC. If you have not watched it you are making a mistake.

It's about the advertising world in the 60's. Manhattan and all the tragic characters that come with it.

I believe it's from the same guy who did Sopranos

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I'll second the Mad Men recommendation; it's probably my favorite show at the moment. The guy making it is not THE guy from the Sopranos, but he is one of the guys from the Sopranos... One of the primary writers and producers, but not the creator. Just to clarify.

I think it is just as good as the Sopranos.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
Fringe and Terminator are both pretty terrible. You might enjoy them, but if you're giving up on Heroes (I don't blame you), I'd be surprised, as they are in the same vein and of similar quality, and suffer from the same problems (stories that make absolutely no sense, mainly)....

Are they supposed to make sense?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Um... Yes?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Life and Pushing Up Daisies are about the only TV I watch these days.

They are exceptional series.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
I just got into How I Met Your Mother this year, and I've been watching the previous seasons on DVD along with the current one. I'm really enjoying it, and so far every episode has at least one thing that makes me laugh (better record than most "comedy" shows for me).

--Mel

I'm midway through the second season myself. And it more than makes me laugh; it makes me smile. There are only a handful of shows that give me a warm feeling when they're done like that. Numb3rs, strangely enough (the family dynamic is wonderful) and HIMYM are the two that do it the most consistently for me.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BelladonnaOrchid:
I'm watching CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. One of the main characters died at the beginning of this season and they're bringing in Lauren Lee Smith to replace him.

Soup chef!
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
currently watching:
Life - quite happy
Pushing Daisies - content
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles - content
Heroes - Disgruntled (especially by last week's episode)
Fringe - utterly disappointed, and when you come in with 0 expectations, that's saying something
How I Met Your Mother - Legen... wait for it... dary!
Grey's Anatomy - mostly watching out of sheer momentum at this point, but it has it's good points still
True Blood - Generally happy, apart from it being so sex-oriented, which is ok, but rather over-the-top for my liking.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.