FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mayfly: Does anyone have this book on OSC?

Author Topic: Mayfly: Does anyone have this book on OSC?
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I am doing a research paper on Lost Boys and OSC and I need this book:

In the Image of God: Theme, Characterization and Landscape in the fiction of OSC by Michael R. Collings published by Greenwood Press in 1990.

If I get it through interlibrary loan it will take 4-6 weeks and then I can only have it for 3 weeks which makes it challenging for me. This is an independent study class and since I work full time I can't devote the time to it that would enable me to effectively utilize the book in that short of a time period. I would buy the book but I'm having trouble finding it at an affordable price.

If you have this book will you lend it to me for a couple of months? I will be more than happy to pay for shipping it to me. Thanks.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What possible rationale could there be for Amazon charging $90 for the kindle version of that book?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing its out of print. The hardback copies that amazon has listed are over $100. I found out the local university has it so I'm going to try to see if I can check it out from them. I may just have to go spend several weekends in the library reading....
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, and I could understand charging a premium for any copies of an out of print book that they might have on hand. What they're charging $90 for, though, is a file that they effectively have infinite copies of.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but they probably have exclusive digital reproduction rights.

Plus, there was a cost to create a digital copy of the book (plus the cost of the exclusive digital rights), and they probably aren't going to sell more than a few dozen copies. I bet they at best barely recoup their costs at $90 each.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What possible rationale could there be for Amazon charging $90 for the kindle version of that book?
Because they can.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.