FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Church of England apologizes to Charles Darwin

Author Topic: Church of England apologizes to Charles Darwin
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cofe.anglican.org/darwin/malcolmbrown.html

quote:
Charles Darwin: 200 years from your birth, the Church of England owes you an apology for misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong, encouraging others to misunderstand you still. We try to practice the old virtues of 'faith seeking understanding' and hope that makes some amends. But the struggle for your reputation is not over yet, and the problem is not just your religious opponents but those who falsely claim you in support of their own interests. Good religion needs to work constructively with good science – and I dare to suggest that the opposite may be true as well.
Supported by Ecclesiastical Insurance Group

This is just the end bit of a longer essay. I won't comment on it, though there are some things worth talking about in there. I just think it's interesting that they've gone and done this. I don't completely understand how this works though. This is a whole religion suddenly saying, "do not take the bible literally". Doesn't that seem to open up a can of worms for everything they try to teach members from here on out?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't suddenly saying anything, and they won't need to change any current teaching. The Church of England have never been bibilcal literalists. Anglican theology is completely compatable with Darwin's work. Heck, the man is burried in Westminster Abbey!

Edit: having now read the article, I'll put it another way. That is a completely mainstream Anglican essay, which won't raise a single eyebrow in the Church of England. There's no can of worms there. It's an essay commemorating the 200th anniversary of Darwin, not a new position statment for the church.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
They aren't suddenly saying anything, and they won't need to change any current teaching. The Church of England have never been bibilcal literalists. Anglican theology is completely compatable with Darwin's work. Heck, the man is burried in Westminster Abbey!

Edit: having now read the article, I'll put it another way. That is a completely mainstream Anglican essay, which won't raise a single eyebrow in the Church of England. There's no can of worms there. It's an essay commemorating the 200th anniversary of Darwin, not a new position statment for the church.

Which is why I converted right before I got married, and why I am very happy with my religion for the first time in decades.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.