FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » SoCal Jatraqueros: didja feel it?

Author Topic: SoCal Jatraqueros: didja feel it?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That was definitely Maggie's first earthquake, and I think Bridey's. At least Bridey's first she didn't sleep through, lol.

I was really proud of her. We've drilled, of course, but she didn't know what was happening 'cause she's never felt one before! We were near things (like the tv) that could fall so I grabbed the baby, ran to Bridey and grabbed her hand, and we went and sat in a clear area and practiced putting our heads down and covering our necks with our arms, like we've learned in our drills. She thought it was fun and was curious, not scared.

Our phone is out and cell service is busy so calls aren't getting through. Texts are getting through slowly. (Note to self: arrange backup plan for disaster use. Find out who in the nearest few blocks has a ham license and setup and make friends.) I've asked KPC to try to use the work phone to call Em's preschool to make sure she's okay (not that I think there's damage but, you know, she might like to talk to someone for reassurance.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
KPC got through to the preschool. They're fine; the kids just thought it was a drill and aren't even scared.

I forgot to mention my other reaction-- as soon as the shaking started, while scooping up the baby, I disconnected the laptop from the adapter plugged into the outlet. Not that things are as important as people-- but if you can protect both at once, why not? [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good work, KQ! Nice prep and forethought!

When the 6.9 (for a minute) hit Olympia several years ago, I had no plan and no way of contacting Nathan's school (he was six). It took over an hour to get two blocks away from work and another hour to get to his school.

I was so terrified and upset. I had never experienced an earthquake before.

God bless the staff of his Waldorf school. They triaged the parents as they arrived -- and those (like me) who were so anxious and upset that they would have added to the child's concern were dealt with (calmed and reassured) before being allowed into the "safe zone" where their children were happily and unconcernedly playing.

I hope never to experience another earthquake. We had breaking glass, electrical fires, water sprinklers spraying down on everyone . . . the whole nine yards. It was horrifying. *shudder*

I'm glad y'all are okay! And it went smooth like you drilled!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What was funniest was that Bridey didn't get why she had to come with me. She had never felt what an earthquake is before. So I had to say our drill word ("Emergency!") to get her to follow me and be compliant. Luckily she's well trained; when I say "Emergency!", she immediately stops fighting and does exactly what she's told.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and my mom had a broken picture frame. That was the extent of the damage locally; we're lucky to live on solid granite bedrock.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.