FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word search

Author Topic: Word search
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
When the Catholic church throws someone out, it's called excommunicating. What do you call it when an ex-communicant is reinstated? It can't very well be 'communicating'. 'Re-communicating'? 'Un-ex-communicating'?

[Confused]

The reason I ask is that I play Crusader Kings quite a bit, and one of the options is to take control of the Pope and use his power to excommunicate people, and un-ex-communicate (gah, that's clumsy) if they bribe you sufficiently.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Reconciliation" is probably the best word.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I've heard Reinstate as a reversal of excommunicate, but I'm not Catholic. Another possibility is restored.

Reconciliate sounds funny, but it beats unexcommunicate.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Not the most historically-oriented source, however, Medieval Total War II has the same game mechanic and I believe they use "reconciliation" (and reconciled) as well.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
"Reconcile" would be the verb form of "reconciliation", I think.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I play total war too (I make a bunch of cathedrals get a bunch of cardinals take over the papal states thus I control the church yay!)
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The thing to watch out for with using the verb form is that you need to change the subject.

The opposite of "hire" is "fire." So if I fire you, I undo that by hiring (or rehiring) you.

The Church (or an official thereof) is the subject in excommunication, at least in popular usage (there are theological issues I won't go into). "The Pope excommunicated you." When that is undone, though, we say either "You reconciled with the Church."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. That's RL theology, though. In the game, there is no ambiguity: The Papal Controller excommunicates you, and has the power to undo that. (Well, there are events for both things as well, but they're rare.) It seems a bit odd to say "I reconcile you".
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
re-baptised?
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Absolutely not re-baptized, even in-game.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
"I reinstate you" would sound better than "I reconcile you".
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The etymology on this page says the term is based on latin excommunicare which translates to "expel from communion" so perhaps the most literal opposite of excommunicating someone would be one of the following:

1. "admit them to communion" (if the actor in this case is not a direct participant in the communion to which the person is being admitted)

2. or "commune with them." (If the actor is communing directly with the person.)

I suspect that the term "excommunicate" probably refers more to the sacraments of the church than to the general communion of the church members, so I'd lean toward the first one.

Or maybe just call it "readmission."

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Reenter the fold?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Common usage would include "lifting the excommunication". You could also "received" as people who convert to Catholicism are "received into Full Communion".

I second Dag. No re-baptism.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

"Lift the ban", perhaps? Actually I suppose in chat we will continue to use the current 'recomm', which is barbarous but which everyone understands. But lifting or reinstating will be good for formal treaties.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
rehabilitation?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Lifting the ban would work...to to use what Dags said you could say "We have been Reconciled" as well, modifying the subject to we rather than you or him.

To be historically correct though, the person reconciles with the Church, not the other way around.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do we necessarily need a word to distinguish between those who were once excommunicated and have rejoined the church and those who simply join?

I suppose there is alittle nuance between the two and we also have words to distinguish even smaller differences.

Out of curiosity when a Roman Catholic is excommunicated and then reconciled with the church is he/she required to receive baptism again?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Out of curiosity when a Roman Catholic is excommunicated and then reconciled with the church is he/she required to receive baptism again?
No. In fact, he/she is forbidden to receive baptism again. Baptism is a once-only deal. This is why if there is some question about the validity of a convert's baptism, something called a "conditional baptism" is performed.
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Why do we necessarily need a word to distinguish between those who were once excommunicated and have rejoined the church and those who simply join?

Not the nuance I'm looking for. Someone who was never excommunicated can presumably join at any time, subject to baptism and whatnot. An ex-communicant, however, needs permission. I wanted the verb for giving that permission. What you call him once he's in again I don't really care about.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.