FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Not trusting the audience to accept the story on its own terms.

Author Topic: Not trusting the audience to accept the story on its own terms.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw the teaser for The Tale of Despereaux again. The first time I saw it, I was mostly focused on WALL*E so it didn't truly sink in. This time I paid close attention...and grew very worried.

Kate DiCamillo's world-wide best-selling book is told in a deliberately old-fashioned "Dear Reader" style. It's a fairy tale of loss, grief, sacrifice, and terrible betrayal. Despereaux himself is about the only completely sympathetic character to be found...possibly also the Princess he falls hopelessly in love with. (There really is no hope: he's a mouse, she's a human. This isn't the kind of fairy tale where that will ever change.)

The other two main characters, Chiaroscuro and Miggery Sow are tragic antagonists and portrayed in a way that makes it clear they do what they do because they're broken inside. (It gets quite dark in their back-stories.)

The style is important. The author is tapping into some primal fears and sources of emotional pain...and few things are better at conveying that than an old-fashioned fairy tale.

The teaser of the animated version goes in exactly the opposite direction.

"Ha-ha! He's a MOUSE who's BRAVE! That's silly! Ha-ha!"

"Oh man, Despereaux's parents are talking with his teacher like it was a modern-day PTC! Anachronism! It's funny!"

"Ha-ha! Skinny rat trying to make the fat girl shush! Fat people are funny!"

It's barely recognizable as the story DiCamillo wrote. I'm hoping the teaser is dreadfully misleading, like the Bridge to Terabithia teaser was.

Still, I have to wonder what the studio was thinking. Did they think the book became a best-seller despite it's darker elements, not because of them? Did they decide since it was a CGI fairy tale that they'd -have- to imitate Shrek? Did they just not care? I'm getting the feeling kids who embraced the book may not care either, should the film turn out to be a "lighter and softer" cheat.

Edit: Stray "and" removed.

[ July 09, 2008, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
But I gotta say, the animation quality is damn good.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww dangit. I haven't read the originals, I went "oh that looks cuuute".

*listens to Wall-E soundtrack some more* Oh well...Maybe you're right and it's just the marketing. They're trying to trick parents into letting their kids watch a darker animated movie. [Smile]

EDIT: I've actually thought about this because I always thought animated movies could be more mm...intense? Secret of Nimh sure packs a wallop during its scary moments.

The animation does look top notch though, and I like the illustrative quality to the whole thing. Reminds me of...Pinocchio really.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I think the reason why it disappointed me so much is that I'm so very -tired- of movies that are scared of their audience...the ones that keep twirling their canes and nervously winking, assuring the audience it's all part of the show. Let a story of a tiny mouse betrayed by those who should have loved him most be that story. [Smile]

Even Walt Disney, infamous for softening and brightening darker fairy tales still left characters and moments of terrifying power in his better flicks.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been feeling the same way when I've taken my kids to movies lately, though I'm not familiar with this work.

This really struck me with Spiderwick, and with one other movie we went to right before that's escaping me right now. Everything was so paint-by-numbers. I guess it's not particularly darkness or lack of it that I'm focusing on, but just on underestimating young audiences in particular.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I know that when I was a kid, I certainly despised any book, comic, TV show, or movie that left me feeling I'd been...well...put in the kiddie corner, so to speak.

I liked the ones that felt like they were drawing me out to something more than my experience. Not so far that it traumatized me, mind you. But farther enough that I could feel it opening my mind up.

Of course, at the time, I only thought "Wow, that story was NEAT." [Wink]

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy Treat, I think that underestimating the audience is one of the worst sins against art there is. Sadly, it is a safe choice and usually means that people make money.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I can take a cold comfort that the recent "lighter and softer" cinematic versions of The Dark is Rising and The Golden Compass both flopped. If Despereaux is a toothless adaptation and also flops, maybe someone Hollywood-way will notice.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Urg
They should not make it lighter or softer but make it the way it already is.
Good

But I like The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane a bit better.
It made my eyes get all moist, which is embarassing.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Puffy Treat, I think that underestimating the audience is one of the worst sins against art there is. Sadly, it is a safe choice and usually means that people make money.

Even sadder, this means that they really aren't underestimating their audience.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Urg
Good

People who don't get misty-eyed when Sarah-Ruth dies have no soul.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Urg
Good

People who don't get misty-eyed when Sarah-Ruth dies have no soul.
I did... and also... when that guy shattered edward, and then there were other sad things, but the end had be bawling, and I can't really help that.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
...the ones that keep twirling their canes and nervously winking

[ROFL] ahahahaha

that for some reason made me laugh

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.