FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is

Author Topic: What is
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
ma'am short for?

O'clock is short for "of the clock" as I remember, but I haven't a clue about "ma'am."

(Yes, I'm helping Nathan with his homework . . . [Wink]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Madam?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Beautiful! Thank you!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard you northern folk actually consider the use of "ma'am" to be sarcastic, patronizing, or insulting, especially when a younger person like a student addresses a superior. Is this true?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It can be used sarcastically, but is needs not be sarcastic. I use it all the time, sincerely.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Not me.

Ma'am and Sir are titles of respect.

What I get, though, from many folks when I use that title is:

"Garr -- don't insult me -- I work for a living."

*shrug*

I just tell 'em that my momma would have wiped my face with the backside of her hand for anything less than the utmost respect for my elders.

I do try to say that without sarcasm . . . *grin*

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife was mightily confused when I would say "yes ma'am" to her when we started dating. On reflection it probably wasn't helpful to use a term usually reserved for elders or interactions with strangers. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've heard you northern folk actually consider the use of "ma'am" to be sarcastic, patronizing, or insulting, especially when a younger person like a student addresses a superior. Is this true?
In the Great Lakes area, "ma'am" is used sarcastically about half the time.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Not in Chicago.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to play it safe and stick with "miss". Makes them feel young. Unless she's obviously in her upper ages, then "ma'am" it is.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya ha is too in chicago 'bout 60% of the time.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to be polite to the customers I deal with- and so I say sir and ma'am quite a bit. I've worked both in IL (about 1 hour south of Chicago) and in TN (about 30 minutes north of Nashville) and no one has ever gotten mad about me calling them ma'am.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about 45 minutes north of chicago (In moderate traffic) Where I live there are very rich jewish people and they are all very snobbish (not saying jews are snobbish) if you use ma'am they take offense.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I use ma'am in the "unidentified elder woman" sense of it. Such as "Ma'am, you dropped your purse." and I've never had anyone take offense to that. I'd use miss for anyone young, and ma'am is very easy to use patronizingly or sarcastically in michigan, especially among friends(basically only use among them..) Sir is the same way, only for men.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm not paying attention, but I can't really recall anyone using it sarcastically.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.