FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Trek conventions

Author Topic: Star Trek conventions
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, before people get too excited, let me say that I am not a Trekkie and really have no interest in going to a Star Trek convention.

However, one of my best friends is an avid Trekkie and I've been wanting to give him a present sort of thing and I know he would absolutely love to go to a convention but he usually doesn't have the money. So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any conventions any time soon? We live in Tallahassee, Florida, so something close to home would be best, but I'm open to all suggestions. I tried looking it up but the Star Trek site only gave me the dates of past one (one of which took place yesterday in Panama City! Argh!). But my con-fu is weak, so if anyone has any insights, I'd be grateful. [Smile]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No idea about specific cons in your neck of the woods. One word of advice: if the con is being run by Creation, run the other way. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy's myspace page, while pretty preoccupied with the Las Vegas convention coming up, has the time's and dates of a whole bunch of different conventions. I haven't looked through the whole list yet, but there were a couple of other Star Trek conventions in his list.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Creation Entertainment host most of the official Start Trek Conventions. http://www.creationent.com/

If you really wanted to do it up...The August Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas is the greatest of them all...but I would say check oout that site and see what you get from there.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Weeeel .... I am a college student. I'm pretty sure I could completely clean out my savings and just barely get both him and his wife there, lodged, and Gold passes to the convention. Methinks I shall look elsewhere.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah the Las Vegas is not a cheap affair..but it is the ultimate goal of every Trekker out there! But I dunno if anyone else is even allowed to run a "true" trek convention other then Creation entertainment...never been to one not done by them.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lostinspace:
Creation Entertainment host most of the official Start Trek Conventions. http://www.creationent.com/

Sadly true. I used to go to them, too. And they are incredibly inferior to independent cons, in oh-so-many ways. From the cost, to the programming, to the how-much-extra-can-we-get-you-to-pay-for-crap, to the dealer's room.

And don't get me started on the lines and the overbooking.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Lostinspace:

Sadly true. I used to go to them, too. And they are incredibly inferior to independent cons, in oh-so-many ways. From the cost, to the programming, to the how-much-extra-can-we-get-you-to-pay-for-crap, to the dealer's room.

And don't get me started on the lines and the overbooking.

I agree I used to go to a great independent one every year when I was a teenager. I miss them because the stars who were visiting led the tempo of the show. They would talk with fans individually and everything. I remember Ethan Phillips telling the promoter once that he couldn't go on stage yet because he had promised to get his picture taken with me and my group of friends. Great times, now that would never happen with Creation.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.