FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Knitting pattern help

Author Topic: Knitting pattern help
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to follow a chart for a knitted lace pattern and am confused about the terminology. pattern

If you scroll down the page to the pattern chart, the legend says that a black square means "no stitch". I'm quite confused how there can be no stitch. Am I supposed to drop the stitch (unlikely as there are up to 5 "no stitches" in a row)? Or just slip the stitch (in which case, why not just say to slip the stitch)?

Can any of you more accomplished/experienced knitters help me figure this out?

Arigato! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the problem is that the number of stitches changes from row to row. To compensate for this in the chart, they have put "no stitch" in some of the boxes to make room in the grid for rows that have more stiches. Essentially those boxes don't exist on that row.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rabbit is right - it's just a way of making the chart look neater.

Just ignore those boxes and keep going with the pattern.

It may help to read through the written instructions with the chart to see how it works for a couple of rows. So for the first row (assuming no repeats), the chart says s1, k4, k2tog [4 black squares] p2 k3 [4 black squares]p2 k4 k2tog [2 black squares] p1, while the written instructions are Sl 1, K4, K2tog, P2, K3, P2, K4, K2tog, P1 - just the chart with the black squares omitted.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I've always knitted from written instructions instead of a chart. It makes sense now.

[Group Hug]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.