FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kinky cord

Author Topic: Kinky cord
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a USB headphone/microphone that, by and large, works well. The problem is that the cord stretching from the headphones to the front of my computer is kinkier than a (insert metaphor improper to a family-friendly board here.)

I mean, seriously... This cord has to be five feet long, and it's losing a couple of feet to twisting itself up. It's so bad it sometimes threatens to pull itself loose from the front port.

Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with this? I don't want to damage the cord, but I'm worried I'm more likely to do so by accidentally pulling on it than by intentionally trying to straighten it, and working it between my fingers doesn't seem to do much, even temporarily.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Unwinding the kinks manually (and not by stretching straight) is the only thing that works.
There was a semi-recent mathematical proof that such kinking is an inevitable result of stretching&unstretching loose coils.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

If that's the case, someone did a number on this cord before it was ever put in the box.

The tension on this thing is such that it promptly re-kinks itself after any attempt to unwind it as far as I can tell.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
As a bored tech-support in a previous life, I used to tell users to keep their network cables straight at all costs. Network data is all 1s and 0s. The 0s are OK as they are round, but if you have a kinky cable the 1s get jammed and this will cause a slow down....

It brought a smile to my evil chops to see folks rummaging under desks to improve their bandwidth.

Sorry, not really on topic, but I wanted to share...

Personally I keep the surplus cable on my headphones bunched up with a cable tie. It works for me.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Warm up the cord to make it more malleable, then hang it up so the headphones are pulling down on the wire. Let it cool, and never kink it up again. Always store it straight, never coil it.

(this worked when I had a similar problem)

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I can't stand how my family is cord winders. They wrap every cord around two fingers and make a little ball of cords. I'm pretty picky about it and fold my cords and use velcro ties to hold them.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I will not dobie this thread. I will not dobie this thread.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
I was disappointed when I read it too, Lisa.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Warming-and-hanging worked very well, Launchy. Thanks!
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this would be for the new Kooks album Konk
LOL [Big Grin] *grin*

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.