FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why God Created Man

Author Topic: Why God Created Man
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started wondering about this because I wanted to build my faith and philosophy of life. Therefore I decided to start asking people at school their oppinions on what was the reason that God created mankind. I was amazed by how few people I spoke to actually thought about this before.This is even more amazing because I go to an entirely religious school in which we have Judaic studies with all our normal classes. However, most people I talked to had never really though about it.

Therefore i would like to ask the group.
Why do you think God created mankind?

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Because he got bored with dinosaurs.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think He exists, and therefore don't think He did. I've said before that I can't think of a single reason why a truly omnipotent and omniscient God might want to create a universe, much less fill it with other beings.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
What good would being an all powerful being be, if you just sat around by yourself doing nothing?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
What good is it anyway?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you were all powerful, you'd sit around by yourself and do everything [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
The same reason I write music or authors write novels...

for cash!

(making the obvious joke, but the original answer is serious)

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Because someone has to strike a pose,
and bear the weight of well-tailored clothes.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I don't think He exists, and therefore don't think He did. I've said before that I can't think of a single reason why a truly omnipotent and omniscient God might want to create a universe, much less fill it with other beings.

Yeah, it's odd to try and prescribe motivations in any way to an "omniscient" being, because given the idea that it creates the universe, it has "power" over nothing- there are no ideas, nothing to control. This makes God look like a child with a magnifying glass. Why? The idea, or at least the Judeo-Christian concept or meme for "God" is not very useful, even counterproductive.

Christians, imo, just forget that God doesn't solve the logical problem the human brain encounters when it zooms out to look at a universe too big for itself. For those that click a few notches farther back, God starts to look my-tee convenient at first, and suspiciously underwhelming upon due reflection.

My conclusion, self-satisfied though it may appear, is that religion is death- it's giving up.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
The same reason I write music or authors write novels...

for cash!

(making the obvious joke, but the original answer is serious)

I would argue that people engage in those activities as part of a tradition or social behavior that extends beyond their own needs to encompass the will and expectations of other people. We musicians and writers don't create out of nothing, for the sake of the creation itself. We may see it that way, but if it really were like that, we would spend all of our time creating music and books, and then just never showing them to anyone. A good deal of that goes on even so, but I think there is an underlying need to educate oneself in order to understand and appeal to others. Even people like Emily Dickinson were, ultimately, not doing it just for the sake of doing it- outside influences mattered.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 8831

- posted      Profile for Constipatron           Edit/Delete Post 
God created mankind so he might watch the highlight blooper videos...
Posts: 42 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Because he got bored with dinosaurs.

Impossible.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Just so you all don't think I'm completely off my rocker, someone here got that didn't they? Please?
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Because He loves us and wants us to be happy. (I believe in the pre-existance of souls, obviously, and am presuming you refer to physical creation.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that God created man so that man might eventually become like God. He gave our spirits physical bodies and allowed us to experience the many joys and sorrows of mortal life, and also provided a way to progress toward him in this life and find greater joy. He did (and does) it because he loves us and wants the very best for us--as any good parent would.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yeah, but why?
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with ketchupqueen.

I guess for Mormons you can't say God really created us as we believe we've always existed.

He is the father of our spirits, so when I think "creation" I think more along the lines of being born. Why do parents decide to have children and raise a family? I believe it's because family is what is most important to us and helps us to develop love. Heavenly Father of course does this on a much higher and more perfect level than we could. We just get a little chance in this life to practice and see how well we can follow along :-)

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe God has a lot of sweet multi-player games, and heaven is like Valhalla for gamers.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no reason for mankind to exist. Evolution just happened... it couldn't not.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
How could something come out of nothing?
Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
God didn't create man, man created God. Man created God cause man was afraid, cause there were questions to which man did not have an answer, because man was weak and could not face the harsh reality with out the idea of a parent who -- if man was good -- would make everything all alright in the end.

*shrug* Course I think people are fully capable of dealing with harsh reality, they just don't want to.

quote:
That question remains valid even if there is a God. How does God create something from nothing? The answer is, he just does. Well that's the same answer for reality: it just does. Only it doesn't depend on an impossible contraption to function. It just is. And it leaves the possibility that one day humanity will have a much more satisfying answer to it.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Sm34rZ:

If a tree falls in the woods, how many Christians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
42!
Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
But seriously, Odin, Vili and Ve made the first man from an ash tree, and the first woman from an elm. My best guess is that they were simply bored. Being of a generous mood, the three allowed the new couple to live in Midgard. When humans took up warfare, poetry, and other interesting things, the Gods gave them some attention; I'd say they found humans to be an interesting distraction at best.

When Odin learned of Ragnarök, he even started recruiting the souls of human warriors to fight for him. I doubt he puts much faith in us, though. Even if we make it to Valhalla, we're simply destined to fight in a battle we will lose. Still, I believe that battling fate is a very noble cause, and I am willing to give my soul trying to prevent Ragnarök.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Philosofickle:
quote:

Just so you all don't think I'm completely off my rocker, someone here got that didn't they? Please?
No, because we are all deadly serious intellectuals who never go to the theater. I do have a niece, however, who had an AIDA fridge magnet.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
same reason why I build sandcastles...

and later DESTROY THEM!

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Because the Daleks petitioned God for something to exterminate.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. Many races believe it was created by some sort of God, but the entire universe was, in fact, sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Conventional Christian thought, I think: for companionship, that is, love.

Scottish Presbyterian catechism: "To love God, and enjoy Him forever."

Catholic Catechism has several partial answers. Here's one: "That His creatures should share in his truth, goodness and beauty."

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that perhaps the reason God created Man is because the value of the universe comes not from the fact that exists, but rather from the fact that it can be experienced and appreciated. But that is just my best guess.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to answer "so women don't have to do car maintenance or mow the lawn," but some of the above answers are good, too. [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by camus:
In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. Many races believe it was created by some sort of God, but the entire universe was, in fact, sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure.

Only if you live on Viltvoodle VI
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You made me gupp.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.