FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Mighty Meramec

Author Topic: The Mighty Meramec
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Up until the end of last year I lived uphill from a quiet little stream known as the Meramec River.

You may have heard about it recently.

It was a 1/2 mile walk from my back door to the river. Admittedly most of that walk was close to vertically downhill, and that for my old home to flood, well, we'd all be looking to make friends with whoever was in charge of the Ark this time.

That river, that I have walked across some summers without getting my knees wet, has made headline news.

For the second time in 15 years it has reached the popular phrase--The 100 year flood.

During that 15 year interval a prison has gone up in the area they said would never flood again in our life time, the highway was rebuilt, and luckily, Times Beach Missouri, once one of the worst man-made ecological disasters due to waste chemical dumping (dioxin laced oil was used to pave the streets) had all of its top soil incinerated. Those opposes said, "It'll be a hundred years before that place floods again. Just clean it up and worry about it later."

Its underwater as we speak.

The town where I went to school is partially submerged. Friends homes I played in as a child are under water.

I looked at the video and the photos of it and you know what? I got the same gut reaction I always get when I see pictures of floods....bid deal.

So there is a town with the stop sign almost under water. Bid deal.

However, when I drove by those towns, saw the floods for real, well, wow.

Seeing the floods, seeing them on places that you know, puts a whole new feeling to the view. My memory knows that the park was there, the ground rose and fell in such a pattern, that the bridge was scary because it was so high above the water. Looking at the bridge under the water, the dips and hills, parks and trees under the water, but knowing what they were like mere days ago, impresses a person.

The Mighty Meramec crested at 40 feet Saturday. That was 23 feet OVER flood stage. It was over twice as deep normal.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Some pictures for those who haven't run across any. Meramec in Missouri and Saline in Illinois
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
When driving in Kansas, you'll encounter large, long bridges over seemingly insignificant creeks and rivers. Witness those creeks and rivers at their flood stage, and you begin to understand what you might have initially mistaken for overengineering. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
And those bridges still end up being flooded over during the really bad ones.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend from our church was from the small town of Greensburg, Kansas, which was wholly destroyed by tornado last year. He has gone back there several times to help rebuild buildings and lives. It really brought it home for some of us who have never been through that kind of trajedy, or even lived in any place where it was more likely to happen.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.