FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Internet Options

Author Topic: Internet Options
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided that for work I really need a faster internet connection than my extremely slow DSL.

Does anybody know of a way to find out what all of the satellite/wireless internet options are in my area?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.broadbandreports.com/
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you talked to your phone company to make sure there isn't a faster service available? I know we've recently started offering faster services around here, and it's not that much more money. I need to remember to call about upgrading myself.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When I call my phone company, they tell me that the service I currently have isn't available where I live.

I'll try calling them again, though. Thanks for the idea.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Huh.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well, Qwest now admits that I, indeed, can get DSL here, but not anything better than what I currently have.

I found another company that can't guarantee what speeds I'll get, can't send anybody to my place to test what the speed is out here, and will only refund my money if the speed sucks if I send it back within two days. :angry:

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Was my link not helpful?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I call my phone company, they tell me that the service I currently have isn't available where I live.
When I use to have DSL, I was 4,000 feet father from the access point than I should be allowed to be, and thus it was theoretically impossible for me to have DSL in the first place.

Every time I called tech support with a problem, I had to convince them that, at one point, it was in fact working and I wasn't crazy. When I asked them "so what the hell have I been paying for the past two years?", they got the point.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Your link was helpful, PC. That's where I found the company that can't guarantee me anything.

Unfortunately, that's the only wireless company it listed for this area, and I know that there are a lot more.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents have this : Wild Blue and they love it. It isn't great during storms, but overall they love it as they are unable to get even DSL where the cottage in MI is.

I used it last summer and it was fairly fast, although not as fast as cable.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I was just checking out Wild Blue. I sure wish they didn't require a 2-year contract.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I have wireless through a regional provider called RapidWave (www.rapidwave.net) and the technology they are using is called Canopy, it's through Motorola. Pretty sure there's a more generic industry term for the canopy tech but I don't know what it is. My speeds are in the 1-3 Mbps range on average, but i've tested up to 4+.

If someone near you offers similar service you should try it out, especially if they have free installation and no contract. (I had to pay $200 for installation and was basically going by my neighbors' recommendations on a community discussion site.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a wireless modem from Sprint and it provides pretty decent speed broadband.

http://www.sprintbroadband.com/

We have dialup or satellite out here. I didn't want them drilling into my roof to mount a huge satellite dish for internet then found this option. The modem connects into my computer through a usb port and I have had very little problems with it and we are quite happy with the speeds. Other cell providers may have options similar...

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Porter, I know that Qwest is currently building out FTTN (Fiber To The Node) technology that will allow for much faster speeds. I know that it's starting in the larger cities, of course, and that Portland is one of the first. I don't know how close you are to Portland or how long it will take to get to outlying areas. Or how much it will cost, for that matter. But I know it's supposed to be available in the city before the end of the year.

I know that doesn't help you now, but I just wanted you to know it was in the works before you sign any long term contracts. The speed they're talking about is in the 20M range.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.