FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Graphic plagiarism...

Author Topic: Graphic plagiarism...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Check out this YouTube short...

Kind of neat, isn't it?

Not professional, but a powerful story that almost transcends the limitations of the budget and actors.

Would've been nice if the film's maker had bothered to contact Kurt Busiek, the writer if the story he filmed. This is a somewhat altered version of an award-winning story Busiek wrote for his Astro City graphic novel series.

I see in the "comments" section that the maker of the film (who does -not- give credit to the story's source and author in the "About this video" section) was uncertain how to contact Kurt...so he just went ahead and posted it.

Altered -just- enough so that people not familar with the non DC/Marvel comics would never know it wasn't his story. Whee. [Razz]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
That was incredibly bad.

Not just the acting and filmmaking, but the story itself was horrible. Maybe it makes sense as part of a coherent fictional universe, but here's what it is to me:

Dude is dreaming of a girl.
It's screwing up his life.
Who is this girl? Why does he know her?
Why can't he remember who she is?
MYSTERIOUS DUDE OF THE DREAMWORLD KNOWS
A MAN INVENTED A TIME MACHINE AND THE GOVERNMENT STOPPED HIM IN THE MIDDLE OF USING IT AND SPACE-TIME WAS TORN APART!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, so she was my wife. I love her! Yay!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
It makes total sense seen in the original context of Astro City...but I get the feeling the film maker was trying to avoid crediting the source. [Smile]

See, Astro City deals with life inside a typical super-hero setting...and both DC and Marvel are prone to revising their continuity every 5-10 years. The most recent example being the negation of Spider-Man's 20+ year marriage.

DC through big cosmic events, Marvel through just quietly not referring to certain older stories.

Busiek wanted to portray what would happen to a person whose life is disrupted by one of these revisions.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.