FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flaming Jamie - A Study in Child Raising

Author Topic: Flaming Jamie - A Study in Child Raising
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
(Latest entry in my "every day in December" attempt at blogging)

I'm on vacation this week, the better to make my LA trip, and I've been picking my son James up from school to save Teres the hassle of pulling into a packed parking lot, waiting 15 or 20 minutes for James and his friend Morgan to get out and find us, and then waiting another 15 or 20 minutes to work our way out of the parking lot. The engineers who designed this parking lot obviously hated children and parents, or else they weren't aware that the school would try to cram three times as many kids in as they had room for. Either way.

Teres came along today so we could grab a late lunch afterwards, and this is more or less a verbatim description of the actual discussion that followed between Teres, me, and our 15-year-old son James after I pulled up to an intersection full of cars zipping along.

Teres: If you're gonna kill us, could you make it quick? I need to pee and a near miss would be bad.

Me: Nothing lingering?

Teres: No, lingering is bad. Quick, clean death.

James: Could you do it so I look cool when we die? In case there are cameras?

Me: No, no. You die cool, everyone talks about you, but then it goes away in a semester and maybe one mention in the yearbook. No, you need to die a spectacular, personally humiliating death.

James: Humiliating?

Me: Like on fire, somehow. And pantsless.

Teres: (giggling) Pantsless?

Me: Completely. That's an image that wil burn into the minds of everyone who sees it. And everyone will see it, that's what YouTube is for.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [Hat]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. This reminds me of a conversation that I had with my mom and brother on Thanksgiving about whether you would be able to survive after diving into a pool full of mashed potatoes.

(For those wondering, we decided that it would depend on whether they were whipped or chunky, and how much butter and milk would be in them.)

Edit to fix grammar.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Bizarre people. [Eek!]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been too long since I read one of your blogs. Very cool one! Or should I say "hot"? [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I routinely plan how to get out of a building in case of attack or what I'd need to loot first if the Apocolypse comes.

I don't usually imagine my own death, but I occasionally get stuck in a loop of my boyfriend's death and upset myself all day. Your way sounds much more fun, Chris.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What is being pantsless compared to the shame of having watched Ghostrider?

Though I really liked Next.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We actually have very weird conversations like that in our family all the time.

Glad to know we're not alone! [Wink]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My family had a standing agreement that if any one of us were hit by lightning during a thunderstorm while on the can, one of us would pull up his/her pants before the ambulance arrived.

Also, I once saw a man picking his nose as he drove his Jeep at a high speed along the highway. At the time (don't ask) my ipod was playing the Macarena. I thought that one really embarrassing way to go would be: rear-ended while picking your nose so that your finger goes way up, your jeep ends up on the side of the road, upside down, and you're dangling from your seatbelt as the chorus of the Macarena sings away...

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
We have bizzare conversations like that too. Wat funny!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.